ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Belmont (Stadium via Facebook), 6:30PM, Thursday, November 16, 2017

This game is over. Gonna be a bad year. Inept offense and seniors making huge mistakes when their leadership is needed. Gonna get ran over by the better teams in this conference like UAB

Belmont is such a smart team. Their players are perfect for their structure. Gotta give them all the credit here.

Walters makes or breaks this team. When he steps up, and we get our defensive intensity up, we are just a different team.

Doesn't hurt we finally hit a few 3's in a row.

We are just not a very good team, period. Simple as that. The effort was there, the defense was there, but we are just pathetic on offense.

We didn't shoot well at Murray, and we didn't shoot well tonight either. Besides King, our offense is terrible. t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. and team's don't typically correct poor shooting mid-season. You've either got talented shooters or you don't. And we don't.

This team isn't getting anywhere near a CUSA championship.

Last edited:
We will be fine in a month or so. A lot of new players to mesh in. This will come. We do, however, need to get more out of Potts and Dixon. Just be cool. We're gonna be fine. Hell, it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

Your wrong as usual Wiley. Patience is not your strong suit.

Care to make a wager? I already know of at least one team that we won't be keeping up with, and that is UAB. Everyone on their team is knocking down shots, not just one person.

Walters makes or breaks this team. When he steps up, and we get our defensive intensity up, we are just a different team.

Doesn't hurt we finally hit a few 3's in a row.

Even when Walters turns in a good performance we can't win. Very disappointed with the seniors on this team. Giddy is playing awful thus far. Not just from a shooting standpoint but he's getting whipped by opposing teams guards up and down the court. Unreal.

I would like to add that the refs were beyond awful. Even worse than Murray. At least the Murray refs were fair and called stupid fouls on everyone.

MT was penalized on at least 4 occasions that I counted for being the bigger, more athletic team. There were 2 occasions in the first half where Belmont players hit the floor on their own free will and MT was whistled. Belmont really knows how to use their size to their advantage, in every aspect of the game. They were either exaggerating a lot of the contact, or they're just weak lil boys.

Wiley- if you’re going to be this hyperbolic, perhaps you should stick to football. I’m not motivated enough to post often, and I find myself in agreement with you much of the time. But man, you have Chicken Little syndrome.

The offense has not gelled yet, for sure. But our personnel is different. Unlike last year’s bunch that was pretty much in late-season form from the outset, this team will have to develop more of an identity. I hate losing to Belmont, but splitting Belmont/Murray is a decent result.

Giddy has been smothered, and they are going to have to scheme around that. And we missed some bunnies. But the offense ran okay for a good portion of the game.

The pessimism with football I understand, but are you that much of a reactionary that you are willing to call this season bad after two games against solid opponents that we split? Has Kermit and the staff not earned just a smidge of confidence from you after the last six years?

Step off the ledge, good sir.

This team will be fine. I would like the freshman pg to get more minutes. Offense was smoother with him in it. Giddy is getting extra attention so he’s not as open. King has to be more agreesive earlier in the game and Walters has to stay out of foul trouble. Our switch defense needs work especially when Hawthorne and King are in.

It isn't hyperbole. We can resurrect this post later into the season if you like. I just bookmarked it.

If this team continues to shoot poorly and the senior leaders continue to get whipped up and down the court, then it's going to be an NIT/CBI type of year with double digit losses.

King has basically stepped in and filled Jacorey's shoes. Walters is playing better as well, but everyone else appears to have regressed. Giddy isn't shooting well, and I've also never seen him schooled so badly like he has been the last 2 games against Murray's and Belmont's guards. The Murray kid was a Freshman!

You can blow this off as early season rust all you want, but the fact of the matter is our starting 5 were all very seasoned players in our program besides King (who ironically is playing the best out of all of them anyway) and Belmont schooled our starting 5 up and down the court. Kermit even emphasized the first 5 minutes, because he knew our experienced and talented starting 5 had to set the tone. And look what happened.

“Gonna be a bad year.”

“Gonna get ran over by the better teams in this conference...”

“We are just not a very good team, period.”

“You’ve either got talented shooters or you don’t. And we don’t.” (Which great shooters did we lose from last year’s team, again? Other than Jacorey’s midrange game? And I think that turned out okay)

“This team isn’t getting anywhere near a CUSA championship.”

Yes, my friend- two games into the season, after splitting two close games with two seemingly good teams, this qualifies as hyperbole. If you can’t see that, I can’t help you.

Reactions: blueboro007
Yes...two good teams and we didn't play particularly well against either one of them (outside of King) with our seasoned leader guard Potts getting schooled by both teams guards....If that doesn't alarm you to a poor season incoming, then I can't help you.

Never mind. It’s like talking to a brick wall. The swami has spoken. It’s going to be a bad year, because Wiley has decreed it with certainty.

We are incapable of improvement after our first loss of the season. Man, I wish I had even a thimbleful of this dude’s predictive abilities.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Rick Byrd is a great coach. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. Its something how he keeps reloading his team year after year. Amanze Egekeze was making it rain 3s.

That being said, we are deep. We had a lot of points off of our bench and we are having to figure out rotations because some of our guys have us log jammed. I didn't think we would win tonight because there is a lot of work to be done.

Belmont hit 10 out of 22 three pointers and we were laying bricks.

I think we will be fine...got to give this team some time. I do predict Dixon losing his starting position if he doesn't get out of the funk. Made some real bad mistakes tonight.

We will be fine; Belmont has owned us the last 7-8 years (even tho we won in 2015, 2016). We typically play them early in the year and struggle. We've seen this before. The goal is to peak in Feb/March. I am not worried. We will shoot better. Give credit to Belmont, they lost late to Washington on the road, beat Vandy and beat us; they are a good team.

More disappointed in the crowd (lack of - but what to expect? - going against the area's NFL team on TV and not one word yesterday about last night's game in the only major print media in mid-state) than the loss. I had figured the game would be a real grinder and it was.

At least a couple of Giddy, Dixon, Johnson, and Simmons must get better (Simmons has tremendous upside - doesn't look like typical JUCO guard). As for guards what about Sims? Our comeback from our biggest deficit came when he was on the floor - I didn't expect much from him this year but he proved that while he may not win for you he won't beat you.

Belmont had one freshman play significant minutes (From nearby Fayetteville who I'm sure Byrd will make a star and we probably didn't even look at) and one other underclassman while we had five newcomers to the program play last night. Would love to catch Belmont later in the year once our newcomers are seasoned. Looking closely to how each program is run we are at a disadvantage each year when playing early. Perhaps once we get next year's four (with Massenburg's red-shirt) freshmen in the program along with continued better recruiting we can compete better early each year.

I hate losing to johnny-come-lately Belmont and their sweater-wearing coach. Wish they and Lipsucm were still in NAIA (too many D-1 programs in the mid-state before they moved in) but gotta respect the program at Belmont.

God Wiley step away from the cliff. IIRC you had the same comments after our TSU home loss last year. Are we as good right now as last years team? NO. Can we be as good? YES. I liked it better a few years ago when you refused to watch another game until they fired KD and went to the NCAA.

Reactions: MTsumner92
King has basically stepped in and filled Jacorey's shoes.

I found this statement rather amusing as well. Jacorey was an absolute beast on defense. No one on our team can fill those those shoes. KD has admitted as much.

We just got beat by a really good Belmont team. That's it. That was the same team that dropped a 4 point game to Washington and took care of business at home against Vandy. For those of us who were in the Murphy Center last night, Belmont definitely passed the eye test. Sometimes you lose to good teams. That doesn't automatically make us a double digit loss team. Good grief...

Belmont is such a difficult team to play. They are not particularly blessed with top notch athletes who like to run and gun, but they are very well coached, run their offense to perfection and can shoot the lights out. The fact that they've never won an NCAA tournament game is baffling.

wiley, it would appear that football is your strong suit. Mid November is a little too early to throw in the towel on the season.

With years of unprecedented incredible success at MT, Kermit has more than earned some patience on part of the fans early in the season.

Post game, Kermit correctly called it when he diagnosed the guards as the area needing improvement after these last two games.

While Upshaw and Williams were originals that can't be replaced, the frontcourt players are impressively stepping up in the early going and playing well. Walters and King are playing impressive ball. Sure, there is still room for improvement i.e. King and defense & Walters and foul trouble. Giddy and Dixon just have returned to form of last season. Giddy has had a few good mins, but is way off his normal level of play. Johnson finished last season strong, but he appears to be regressing some as well. In limited mins so far this season, Simmons has stood out among the guards with outstanding effort.

Perimeter defense is off, and the guards just aren't taking it hard to the rack. As with most any successful team, Kermit's teams are at their offensive best when they are attacking the rack.

A quick look at the stats last night also told of the guards struggles. MT gave up 45% from 3pt land vs Belmont which speaks to the lack of perimeter defense. As big, strong, athletic, and physical as Kermit's teams usually are, they lost the rebounding battling to Belmont last night. Again, another key stat that speaks to the need for better defense, physical play, and overall aggressiveness.

The good news, all of this can be quickly corrected. The players have the ability. Particularly with the guards, it is mostly an attitude and effort matter to get back on track.

Just pulled all my dollars from basketball, 2 court side seats and the booze tent at half time. Let me know when I can jump back in Wiley you are my mt compass!!! Haha you suck!

Keep on. Can't wait to resurrect this thread later on.

We need to resurrect all of the threads calling for Kermit's head because he'll never make the NCAA tourney

We need to resurrect all of the threads calling for Kermit's head because he'll never make the NCAA tourney

Took him long enough. The criticism at the time was more than valid, and if you disagree with that, then you're nothing but a kool aid drinking homer.

You couldn't see the progress. It was right in front of your eyes. But hey, some people can't see the forest for the trees

Progress my ass. He was going nowhere fast surfing a wave of mediocrity until he got a few good transfers starting with LaRon Dendy.

I agree with Wiley: It took too long when there are so many programs which change rapidly (something I hope happens when we finally have a new FB coach) but now that we are relevant again it appears Davis has the program where he is able to maintain.

As for this team, we'll know more by conference time at the first of the year. Lots of time to see improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT