ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs #13 (FCS) Monmouth, 6PM, Saturday, September 4, 2021

Does anyone else think the staff is pretty puckered up right now over winning this game????? 😂😂😂

Lose to Monmouth and we’ve probably heard our last Coach Stockstill Live Show for the rest of the season. 😂😂
I was listening to the replay/podcast of local station's all sports talk show from Monday. One of the local co-hosts repeatedly described Monmouth as a DII program (not FCS, but Division II) and the other co-host did not correct him, so did the other co-host also not know better?

These guys are there, when Monte Hale is not, to talk sports. That perception of Monmouth as DII must be pretty prevalent among most casual fans. A loss to this FCS will be pretty bad, but the perception will be, if it's a loss, by a lot of people who have not heard of Monmouth previously, that it will perceived to be a loss to a DII program.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I was listening to the replay/podcast of local station's all sports talk show from Monday. One of the local co-hosts repeatedly described Monmouth as a DII program (not FCS, but Division II) and the other co-host did not correct him, so did the other co-host also not know better?

These guys are there, when Monte Hale is not, to talk sports. That perception of Monmouth as DII must be pretty prevalent among most casual fans. A loss to this FCS will be pretty bad, but the perception will be, if it's a loss, by a lot of people who have not heard of Monmouth previously, that it will perceived to be a loss to a DII program.
Thats a good point. We may know how good they are, but the casual fan has absolutely no idea.

That being said, I think we win pretty squarely.

Thats a good point. We may know how good they are, but the casual fan has absolutely no idea.

That being said, I think we win pretty squarely.

Listening to this week's all sports talk podcasts and on two separate days Monte Hale Jr has incorrectly stated that the year MT lost opener to McNeese State the Raiders went on to win 10 games that season. That is incorrect.

Hale absolutely knows this is a game MT can lose.

Last edited:

I think the large majority of fans doesn't know the difference between DII and 1-AA (or FCS). If you correct them, you'll just be seen as trivial.

It took me less than 2 min to Google and confirm MT finished 8-4 in 2012 after losing to McNeese in the home opener…..and I’m no “media guy”. 😂😂

Since stockstill believes in playing not to lose (he talks about it in an interview linked in this thread) MT may very well lose this game.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Since stockstill believes in playing not to lose (he talks about it in an interview linked in this thread) MT may very well lose this game.
I expect it. If I was a betting man I would bet heavily on it. If MT wins it will likely be more in spite of Stockstill than due to him. If we have a winning season I will attribute it to our new OC.

Reactions: MT Glenn and MTLynn
Former CUSA member Tulsa loses to Cal Davis a team that went 3-2 in the spring season and 5-7 in 2019. Monmounth is a much better team than Cal Davis.

Former CUSA member Tulsa loses to Cal Davis a team that went 3-2 in the spring season and 5-7 in 2019. Monmounth is a much better team than Cal Davis.

This is the real danger of breaking in a new QB. Tulsa is a good team with a ton of returning talent. But not at QB. And when your QB goes 15/28 with 2 INT's and 0 TD in his first game you are going to lose 95% of the games you play, regardless of the opponent.

We're trolling an FCS school with our beer? We don't have a lot of room to talk smack and give out bulletin board material given our track record. Mark this one an L. I hope I'm wrong.
They make a beer for every home game exclusive to the beer garden. I think you are reading too much into this. Tennessee State didn't beat us when the beer garden had Here Kitty, Kitty Belgium Style Wit Beer.

They make a beer for every home game exclusive to the beer garden. I think you are reading too much into this. Tennessee State didn't beat us when the beer garden had Here Kitty, Kitty Belgium Style Wit Beer.
It was a closer game than it should have been. 🙂

I love most beer as my username alludes to. I am associated with 2 breweries and a distillery. And I can say unequivocally that gose is an abomination. I take serving that style as the special of this game to be a bad omen. Weizenbock, American wheat, weissbeir, another wit, wiesse beer. Anything but a gose.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I love most beer as my username alludes to. I am associated with 2 breweries and a distillery. And I can say unequivocally that gose is an abomination. I take serving that style as the special of this game to be a bad omen. Weizenbock, American wheat, weissbeir, another wit, wiesse beer. Anything but a gose.
I was not defending the type of beer. I brew my own and will probably never brew a gose. Just saying I don't think Monmouth is going to use it as "billboard material".

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I was not defending the type of beer. I brew my own and will probably never brew a gose. Just saying I don't think Monmouth is going to use it as "billboard material".
A good football team shouldn't need billboard material to beat their opponent. If MT loses it won't be because of a name of a beer, but it might end up toward the end of a long list of excuses we would hear after the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT