ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee @ Liberty (ESPN3), 2:30PM, Saturday, October 9, 2021

Duane Hickey will be the analyst this week besides Chip on the Blue Raider Network, I think Wes Counts is set to return to the booth after the open date week.

ASOR, Liberty’s main forum and news site.

Why are Quincy Riley & Jalen Jackson yet again not playing?

This game really intrigues me. I'm really interested to see what MT team we get.

Do we get a confident team that's trying to win every game possible since winning conference isn't in the cards? Do we get a team that wants to turn in a big time upset and bring Liberty back down to earth? Do we get a coaching staff that want's some revenge after Hugh Freeze spanked that @$$ 45-0 last time they met in Jonesboro for the defacto SBC championship? Do we get a team that wants to prove last week was not a fluke, and that they can handle good competition week in week out?

OR

Do we get an emotionally drained team, that's bang and bruised up after the Marshall game (I can hear the injury excuses already), that just wants to focus on conference play and the 1% chance we can sneak in with 2 losses? Do we get a staff that just wants to keep it vanilla, install a half @$$ game plan filled with plays from previous games and no innovation, and instead focus on conference play? Does the Liberty game really matter?

If I'm the head coach you already know which way we'd be going.....but we are dealing with Rick "just another game" Stockstill here. I will say, Rick is on record talking about how he hates to lose, wants to win every game, etc....but sometimes that doesn't feel like the case

I truly believe that with a good game plan on offense we could give Liberty a run for their money. Probably not win the game without some help, but easily cover the spread. And you never know what can happen if you just keep a game close into the 4th quarter. Our defense and special teams is good enough to compete here if we can move the chains and be creative on offense. This is not an athletically superior team. They're an upper level G5 program that's heavy on juniors and seniors and has a very good NFL QB leading the way + a very good coaching staff. So yes, they're a pretty damn good football team, but they can be beaten.

And before the second quarter even begins, we have our answer.

😅 Liberty (my Alma Mater and current) wanted in C. USA and S.B. but now I'm seeing that rejection as a blessing. You guys will definitely do well this year.

How so? We already have two conference losses so we won't be playing for CUSA title.

We have no wins against FBS opponents in out of conference play so we can't aim for anything even close to a double digit win type of season.

There is quite literally nothing left to even play for, much less "do well" this year. I don't even know why they even continue to play the games to be honest.

Our football program is terrible. Our basketball program is even worse.

I see MT winning out the rest of your schedule. Even if MT doesn't beat FAU you'd still have 6 FBS and 1 fcs wins a bowl game and victory would definitely be a positive.

I see MT winning out the rest of your schedule. Even if MT doesn't beat FAU you'd still have 6 FBS and 1 fcs wins a bowl game and victory would definitely be a positive.
Have you checked out the MTSU Bowl Results? Two words, UGH-LEE!

I said before the game on the Liberty forum that Jimmy Marshall would be the key. I understand the long time MTSU fan’s frustration now. I don’t understand why we aren’t getting him more involved. Liberty doesn’t have an answer for him and anyone that follows Liberty would know that. We’re sloppy and killing our chances.

We will go 4-2 in the second half, lose to some MAC or Sun Belt team in the Nobodygivesadamn Bowl presented by American Standard Toilets and then get to hear our dimwit AD brag about the Stockstill’s success as we look forward to to his 17th year as our coach. Wash rinse repeat.

The ironic thing about this game. The coach that is currently stomping a mud hole in us could never get a job at MT, even if he wanted one, because our AD would never hire someone with his “ moral”shortcomings. Our AD would rather keep Mr Compete and EATT as coach in perpetuity.

• Haha
Reactions: arg3b and Predarat

We have a coach who has been here for nearly two decades. We've never fielded the best team in our conference during that time. We've never won our conference outright during that time (we have two shared conference titles, and in both cases we lost to the team we split it with therefore that shouldn't even count in my eyes)

6 or 7 wins, finishing middle of the pack, and playing in the toilet bowl literally means **** all. The only thing that does is keep our dreadful coaching staff, athletic director, and "leaders" around even longer. It is the worst possible outcome. I hope we lose every game until this staff is fired.

The worst possible thing in sports is a team that never finishes first or last. Always in the middle (hence our name) destroys a fan base. Especially when it's been ongoing for almost two decades.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
We look like a literal ****ing high school team out there

Do we HAVE to put an OL out there? Just let the center snap it and send 9 guys out on routes like in the backyard. OL can't block anyone, so why even have them out there?

Do we HAVE to put an OL out there? Just let the center snap it and send 9 guys out on routes like in the backyard. OL can't block anyone, so why even have them out there?
This does make me miss Jimmy Ray Stephens and all the cut blocking we used to do. At least then people could complain about how we blocked, not our complete inability to block.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
I never thought I would say this, but

I miss Andy McCollum

At least he could beat Vanderbilt

If we just had a serviceable OL, we wouldn't be half bad. OL is atrocious. Cunningham just running for his life every freaking play!

Reactions: Raiders_55
Dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Why should we expect anything else? It's been happening for years, but It's becoming more and more common from game to game as our conference and other similar caliber conference opponents pull further and further away from us.

41-13. Unreal. I no longer give. I no longer attend games. This board is all I have to vent. Beat at the LOS and it gets worse from there.

Reactions: Hop45
We are what we are. A bottom of the barrel G5 team with a hopeless future, terrible facilities, incompetent leadership, and non-existent fanbase.

They really should just consider axing all athletic programs and focus on academics. I doubt we could even do that though as our incompetent leadership could not land a law school that dropped in our lap for free.

I absolutely despise this university and every administrator and employee associated with it. It is Murphy's law across the board, year in year out. Our "leaders" are hapless goons that are too stupid to even realize how ignorant they are. I generally don't like the term boomer, but holy mother of god does it ever describe the leadership and coaches here at MT.

Last edited:
Reactions: subkyle
How so? We already have two conference losses so we won't be playing for CUSA title.

We have no wins against FBS opponents in out of conference play so we can't aim for anything even close to a double digit win type of season.

There is quite literally nothing left to even play for, much less "do well" this year. I don't even know why they even continue to play the games to be honest.

Our football program is terrible. Our basketball program is even worse.
It appears to me he is engaging in some brilliant trash talking and payback. Actually, I really don't have a problem with it. The poster is right. The morally superior and ideological pure refused to even consider Liberty when they were looking for a conference home. That includes many folks right here on this board. To top it off, Liberty is proving season after season in both football and basketball that they would be an outstanding addition to the conference on both the field and court.

Who knows where all the conference moves end up, but it would now appear Liberty would be doing C-USA a favor if they ever landed in C-USA.

If I were young once again and had to choose the current MTSU or Liberty, I would choose Liberty each time and twice on Sunday. Yes, it sickens me to see MTSU perform at such lows after decades of support. The university and athletic dept leadership have turned MTSU into an embarrassment. How much more of this crap before they run off people so far that they refuse to ever return? I'm personally not there...yet, but it is starting to become a serious consideration. Let's face it, the leadership has already done that to tens of thousands of students and alumni!

Whatever the case, a young and rising program that seems to be hated by the morally superior is starting to win me over as a fan. Just the kind of imperfect underdog I don't mind cheering for.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
We are what we are. A bottom of the barrel G5 team with a hopeless future, terrible facilities, incompetent leadership, and non-existent fanbase.

They really should just consider axing all athletic programs and focus on academics. I doubt we could even do that though as our incompetent leadership could not land a free law school that dropped in our lap for free.

I absolutely despise this university and every administrator and employee associated with it. It is Murphy's law across the board, year in year out. Our "leaders" are hapless goons that are too stupid to even realize how ignorant they are. I generally don't like the term boomer, but holy mother of god does it ever describe the leadership and coaches here at MT.
Lol. I'm gathering that the younger generation is really resenting the boomers. Being in that generation between the two, I get it.

Spaceraider is an exception.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT