ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (8-16, 5-6) vs Old Dominion (19-6, 9-3), 6PM, Saturday, February 9, 2019

Sims and Dixon are two different players. Would love to have both of them on the team. Would have been nice to have Dixon on Stith some tonight. I do imagine sometimes if those guys had stayed, but we should trust the reasoning was good enough. Either way I really believe the future is bright under Nick. He is showing enthusiasm on the sidelines. Just has to get his players in here. Saw Dishman, Crump, Jones, Lawrence, and Butler all together and thought it would be nice to have all of them able to play. Not to mention is Shelton-Schmidt did not leave. I do not want to be unrealistic, but I have a positive outlook now. I had my doubts throughout the season and many thoughts I talked down on this board I had myself. I just think we found ourselves a good coach.

I was just trying to make a point that scoring is not everything. People are enamored with Sims, and rightly so, but he was not hands down better than Dixon. Sims got plenty of playing time last year and started some games. He is a great scorer but like most college players does have holes in his game.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
I was just trying to make a point that scoring is not everything. People are enamored with Sims, and rightly so, but he was not hands down better than Dixon. Sims got plenty of playing time last year and started some games. He is a great scorer but like most college players does have holes in his game.
Oh I got it. Either way to me it is amazing his improvement in the scoring category this year. Part of it is he is needed to score more than last year's team and part of it is the style of play. Will be interesting to see Sims next year when he is on a complete team. No matter how we look at it this team is not complete. With more depth next year Sims will likely not be called on to score as much.

He's just getting more volume this year. His shooting was actually a lot better last year. He shot 51.6% from 2 and 44.4% from 3 last year. This year he is 44.4% and 38.8% from 2 and 3, respectively. So he's always been a great shooter. He's just getting a much bigger opportunity this year because our roster is depleted.

a little trivia, it's about six weeks short of three decades since ODU's BJ Stith's father Bryant Stith, now an assistant at odu, went nuts with 26 points in the second round of the NCAA tourney in 1989 against the Blue Raiders while playing for Virginia and was a major factor in MT's loss to the Cavaliers.

He's just getting more volume this year. His shooting was actually a lot better last year. He shot 51.6% from 2 and 44.4% from 3 last year. This year he is 44.4% and 38.8% from 2 and 3, respectively. So he's always been a great shooter. He's just getting a much bigger opportunity this year because our roster is depleted.
Yea I see that, but the difference in percentage could also be him taking more difficult shots. Last year he would only take really good shots. This year he is being called on to take not as good of shots.

Yea I see that, but the difference in percentage could also be him taking more difficult shots. Last year he would only take really good shots. This year he is being called on to take not as good of shots.

I look at it as last year, the team was loaded with experienced, talented options, that were expected to carry the load and the opponents defense were more focused on, where as Simms is now one of those top options and the defenders are aware of that and Simms is going up against a defense more focused on him.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
I look at it as last year, the team was loaded with experienced, talented options, that were expected to carry the load and the opponents defense were more focused on, where as Simms is now one of those top options and the defenders are aware of that and Simms is going up against a defense more focused on him.

I agree, and the difficultly of Simms shots have increase immensely...he is having to create space and make move to get an open look...last year many of his shots were wide open.

a little trivia, it's about six weeks short of three decades since ODU's BJ Stith's father Bryant Stith, now an assistant at odu, went nuts with 26 points in the second round of the NCAA tourney in 1989 against the Blue Raiders while playing for Virginia and was a major factor in MT's loss to the Cavaliers.
Yup. I was there. It was a Sunday afternoon game at Vandy after our Friday night win over Florida State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT