ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (7-1) @ Murray State (6-1), ESPN+, 7PM, Saturday, December 4, 2021

ken pom

Murray State 94
MT 229

massey composite ratings through Sunday, November 28, 2021

Murray State 90 (Racers one loss, on neutral court, to etsu 112)

MT 164 (Raiders one loss, @ SFA 145)

massey rankings

Murray 99

MT 139

prediction 65-71

Last edited:
We will definitely find out all we want to know on Saturday. That's for sure.
I understand many things about this matchup vs the Racers
  1. it's an old-time rival of which MT has played more basketball games against than any other opponent (102 games, Murray leads 69-33)
  2. Murray is a quality opponent compared to some of the schedule to date. Although on paper SFA was a slightly tougher road game.
  3. The Racers have some key new additions/transfers.
  4. It will tell us something about this MT team.
I don't however feel like this is the singular game or measuring stick that is going to define the entire season (win or lose)- MT beat the Racers by 17 points last year in the only OOC game MT won- it didn't really mean anything in the course of last season. Murray State improved as the season progressed but they were a mediocre squad- although that is still far better than how MT ended up being.. It certainly was not a measuring stick so why would this game this year be all that much different is all I'm saying..

What I know is that if MT is going to make continued progress they will start to win true road games- currently have lost 11 straight on the road and the sign of a really good team is that you win more than your share on the road. This MT team is starting to prove their toughness, I'm looking for continued improvement and it starts with these next 3 true road games..

I understand many things about this matchup vs the Racers
  1. it's an old-time rival of which MT has played more basketball games against than any other opponent (102 games, Murray leads 69-33)
  2. Murray is a quality opponent compared to some of the schedule to date. Although on paper SFA was a slightly tougher road game.
  3. The Racers have some key new additions/transfers.
  4. It will tell us something about this MT team.
I don't however feel like this is the singular game or measuring stick that is going to define the entire season (win or lose)- MT beat the Racers by 17 points last year in the only OOC game MT won- it didn't really mean anything in the course of last season. Murray State improved as the season progressed but they were a mediocre squad- although that is still far better than how MT ended up being.. It certainly was not a measuring stick so why would this game this year be all that much different is all I'm saying..

What I know is that if MT is going to make continued progress they will start to win true road games- currently have lost 11 straight on the road and the sign of a really good team is that you win more than your share on the road. This MT team is starting to prove their toughness, I'm looking for continued improvement and it starts with these next 3 true road games..
We have played cupcakes to this point with the exception of SFA. Murray State is far from that. This definitely will measure where we really are. This is a Belmont type game. If we can win, then we are good enough to play strong in the conference. If we get destroyed, then it will be a long season in conference play.

Last edited:
We have played cupcakes to this point with the exception of SFA. Murray State is far from that. This definitely will measure where we really are. This is a Belmont type game. If we can win, then we are good enough to play strong in the conference. If we get destroyed, then it will be a long season in conference play.

Winthrop would disagree on being a "cupcake".

Line seems high to me. Is Murray State a paper tiger? They don't have the most impressive out of conference games either.

Both teams are still a bit of an enigma in my eyes. Murray State has a lot of new faces this year too.

Can we go on the road and continue our identity of being a strong defensive team with average at best offense? I think if we can focus on us and continue to play great defense we'll have a chance if we can get the shots to fall and limit turnovers.

Line seems high to me. Is Murray State a paper tiger? They don't have the most impressive out of conference games either.

Both teams are still a bit of an enigma in my eyes. Murray State has a lot of new faces this year too.

Can we go on the road and continue our identity of being a strong defensive team with average at best offense? I think if we can focus on us and continue to play great defense we'll have a chance if we can get the shots to fall and limit turnovers.
Not many MT teams, even the best ones, have played at Murray State and come away a winner. Spread seems high to me as well, but if I was a betting man I wouldn't touch the game either way.

Key tonight will be trying to get into Murray's bench and hold Tevin Brown and KJ Williams to 12-14 points or less each.. the obvious is to value the ball and get quality possessions.. will be interesting to see how this game looks in comparison to the final 5-7 minutes of the SFA game.. looking for growth/maturity/toughness in these road games against good teams.

First game I’ve watched. So far, this looks like a different team than the last two years.

So sloppy. Bad passing. They aren't really creating any inside opportunities. It's all outside perimeter passing.

down 4 at the half. It should be worse. We do have some talent. Now we have to get someone to win the inside battles on D and O.

Jefferson shooting lights out is the only thing offsetting the live ball TO’s..

I hope the guards start to attack Williams when he’s hedging the perimeter screens- get him in foul trouble as MT has no one to counter his size/physicality.. use his aggressiveness against him.

Sims needs to back up a little bit on Hill- his perimeter 1:1 defense is still too slow and Hill driving caused problems throughout the early part of the half

Dishman is having a bad game, 5 turnovers, are you kidding me... almost half of MT's 11 TOs for the half
He’s had chronic issues with TO’s.. however 2 of those weren’t his fault.. guards passed him the ball in bad spots- 1 when Williams was waiting for the swing pass and overplayed the ball rotation- the other on a down cut when Hill was in position to take it right away on the entry pass with a post double team... I’m much more concerned about the guards coughing it up instead of attacking

Our transition D is not good either. We are jacking up too many 3's as well. We need a true big man badly.

60-50

14:40

Murray got the lead to ten and MT cut it to 4 and then seconds later (6-0 RUN OVER :43) its a ten point murray state lead again

In the last 2 minutes I saw 2 players leave their man and just let them go wide open and untouched for scores. We weren't playing zone either. Not good.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Simply too many turnovers. We did the one thing we couldn't afford to do, turn it over like crazy and give an already good team that many more possessions.

You just cannot turn it over like that in games like this. You give yourself 0% chance of victory.

I'm done for the night guys. We wanted to know where we stack up. Now we know. Murray St. ate our lunch tonight. They are more physical and have more discipline. Hopefuly we can improve but we looked like a mess tonight when it mattered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT