ADVERTISEMENT

Middle Tennessee +6 @ James Madison U

Well thats what "Potential" is, the possibility of it happening, which to say it is IMPOSSIBLE is just wrong.

Im hopeful that if we can rise and maintain at the top of the new CUSA, then sustained success begets more success. The insane growth of Murfreesboro will only help as well.

The 'Boro has grown because of MT and no one has capitalized on it. The town should literally be blue and should shut down on Saturdays but nothing. When the school was growing, the town grew, yet sadly, athletics did not.

Reactions: Predarat
incompetence reigns supreme on campus. It infects everything and will take years to root out. I fear I do not have a long enough life span to see a conference championship at Middle Tennessee in football. It will take a complete house cleaning.

It really will. Murfreesboro is what it is because of MT. The town wouldn't even be a shell of itself without the University.

Our University leaders, BOT, and the movers & shakers behind the University have completely and totally failed to impress that fact on the city and those living in it. MT (much like the working taxpayer in America) is COMPLETELY taken for granted by Murfreesboro and Rutherford County.

And that's really where it all begins and ends. If you can't win your own backyard over, you ain't winning anywhere else either. Period, end of story.

Yeah. They fired George O’Leary after 11 years and 1 winless season. What’s your point? You’ve made one for all of us begging for change.
There is ZERO potential under the MTSU current regime from the top down. ZERO.
Maybe we need to go winless

The 'Boro has grown because of MT and no one has capitalized on it. The town should literally be blue and should shut down on Saturdays but nothing. When the school was growing, the town grew, yet sadly, athletics did not.
Murfreesboro has a lot of Big Orange fans who travel to Knoxville on Saturdays. Sadly, many are even MTSU grads and I raised this question in a BRAA advisory board meeting in 2010. Now parents can send their kids just 75 miles southwest to Pulaski where they can get a degree that says “University of Tennessee”. Last Fall, one of MT’s larger donors posted pictures on Facebook that he was enjoying game day in The Grove at Oxford MS with “real leadership.” The real question that needs to be asked in BOT meetings is what would cause one of Murfreesboro’s largest developers and MT alums to do this??

I’m sure some of this happens in Bowling Green with UK but not at the levels it occurs in Murfreesboro.

Last edited:
I legitimately think winning cures all. See Kermit and what his success brought. I maintain that if we can achieve and sustain continuous winning in the new CUSA, the potential that is already there begins to blossom.

Without winning though everything sucks and the negativity on this board is justified.

Good thing the athletic dept doesn't have to apply to attend bowl games. If so, they would never get their annual free Bahamas/Hawaii trip.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
JMU preview:

Well, nice to see they they rank the Blue Raiders right up there with Norfolk St. 😂😂😂

”The Dukes should be strong enough – and fired up enough – to get by Middle Tennessee out of the gate, and taking down Norfolk State should be enough for a 2-0 start.”

We would go up there and whip their ass if all our best players on offense and defense didn’t transfer over the off season….

surprised Jordan Ferguson stuck around and didn’t take his power 5 ticket opportunity.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Murfreesboro has a lot of Big Orange fans who travel to Knoxville on Saturdays. Sadly, many are even MTSU grads and I raised this question in a BRAA advisory board meeting in 2010. Now parents can send their kids just 75 miles southwest to Pulaski where they can get a degree that says “University of Tennessee”. Last Fall, one of MT’s larger donors posted pictures on Facebook that he was enjoying game day in The Grove at Oxford MS with “real leadership.” The real question that needs to be asked in BOT meetings is what would cause one of Murfreesboro’s largest developers and MT alums to do this??

I’m sure some of this happens in Bowling Green with UK but not at the levels it occurs in Murfreesboro.
As someone who lived in BG for 6 years, there are plenty of UK & UL fans around (and a surprising number of Alabama fans). I got a kick out of the folks there who had a UK sticker on one side, a Bama sticker on the other, and a WKU plate (or some variation of this).

That said, local businesses - including many chains - do a better job supporting WKU than local businesses in Murfreesboro. It's not entirely uncommon for a place like Taco Bell or Wendy's to put a "Go Tops. Beat Navy" on the sign out front.

Winning?? After 2 straight losing seasons, MT finished at 4-4 last year in arguably the weakest football conference in the nation. They backed into a bowl game no one could or wanted to attend other than the team, coaching staff and “official party”. It’s ironic that two “pillars” of those Memphis teams you reference have now been on Stock’s staff for nearly a decade.

After 16 seasons of this, fans and alumni deserve better and shouldn’t have to just “accept it.”
We went 7-6 and the MAC is the worst conference in CFB. Yhat's what everyone said when we almost went there. Memphis went 6-6 as well. No running them down though.

We would go up there and whip their ass if all our best players on offense and defense didn’t transfer over the off season….

surprised Jordan Ferguson stuck around and didn’t take his power 5 ticket opportunity.
Because he knows he wouldn't start like all the others who left.They won't start either. How many of those who have left in 2020/21 are starting at a P5? They're just filling a spot. Here, they contribute and will see the field. Dobson should have been used by the coaches as a poster boy of the reality of power 5's. Dobson isn't even starting for TSU. Such a waste.

Reactions: Raiders_55
We went 7-6 and the MAC is the worst conference in CFB. Yhat's what everyone said when we almost went there. Memphis went 6-6 as well. No running them down though.
Ryan has gone 8-3 and 6-6 in his first two seasons as a brand new HC and managed a roster through two COVID seasons.

Stock was 7-6, 5-7, 5-7 in his first 3 years. He gave us 4 losing seasons in his first 6.
I would take Ryan Silverfield over Rick Stockstill tomorrow.

Because he knows he wouldn't start like all the others who left.

That remains to be seen. I believe many (more than half) of those who transferred out that started for us, will start where they transferred.

Before Quincy Riley had his star year last year, I said he could play on Sundays. I maintain that position, and I think he starts @ Louisville. He has really good ball instincts and is as fast as they come. He does need to work on his consistency, staying healthy, and giving 100% on every play, but he has real Sunday potential.

Ryan has gone 8-3 and 6-6 in his first two seasons as a brand new HC and managed a roster through two COVID seasons.

Stock was 7-6, 5-7, 5-7 in his first 3 years. He gave us 4 losing seasons in his first 6.
I would take Ryan Silverfield over Rick Stockstill tomorrow.
Always an excuse for Memphis. I would can RS tomorrow if I could but the point is we are at least better than we were in 19 and 20. We are better than the opening line is giving us now. JMU is in for a reality check as all schools who jump up are.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
That remains to be seen. I believe many (more than half) of those who transferred out that started for us, will start where they transferred.

Before Quincy Riley had his star year last year, I said he could play on Sundays. I maintain that position, and I think he starts @ Louisville. He has really good ball instincts and is as fast as they come. He does need to work on his consistency, staying healthy, and giving 100% on every play, but he has real Sunday potential.
Maybe in a rotation but not start. Riley couldn't stay healthy but has potential to start. I saw him get roasted a few times as well. It's gonna be different locking down on Clemson, Pitt and Wake than it is facing Marshall, USM and FIU. Just sayin.

anything is possible I suppose, but experience of this coach's tenure doesn't give me any belief in a positive outcome. My brain won't allow me to bet on the Raiders. I'll be happier than anyone with a shocking upset.

there isn’t any doubt in my mind that James Madison is going to beat us.

It seems likely. Stockstill teams just do not play well in Week 1. I really don't think JMU is anything that great. If we go play a solid game it's very winnable. I think our loss will be more about this team just not being very good with so many new faces starting + a new offensive coordinator.

But we will see. The talent is there to win this game and even dominate this game. If this game was being played later in the year, let's say November, then I say we win it. But week 1 has never been kind to the Stockstill led Blue Raiders so I remain highly skeptical.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we get a road win at a powerful opponent (not like we’re playing Austin Peay or Wagner) for their first ever FBS game. But as we all know it’s not hard to see the writing on the wall under Stockstill.

Sadly, I’m hoping for early season losses to JMU and TSU to help push him out the door. Attendance figures for the rest of the season should be enough to force change from the top down but, given our track record, they may just ride the plane all the way into the ground.
Can only hope...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT