ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (5-16, 2-6) vs. UAB (14-7, 6-2), 6:30PM, Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Giving this team one more chance on a first half play. MT +3 first half, only because I'm doing really well as of late. I believe this team and these players know this is one of the last winnable games on the schedule. I'm anticipating a herculean effort from our players and coaching staff, but I still doubt it's enough to get it done. I'm predicting the same old song and dance. Great first half, followed by a pathetic second half.

Would like to see Farquhar and Jayce Johnson have good nights. They are future starting material and need to start playing like it.

Green always shoots a ton of shots and when he is off the team suffers greatly so I'll say the Raiders win tonight if Green shoots well and the Raiders will lose tonight if Green doesn't shoot well

Balanced scoring thus far.. 9 assists on 13 made field goals.. if the BIGS can get some quick kickouts before the double team comes on post entries it will create some open looks.. only got to the line twice

Reactions: SpaceRaider
On another note. Wichita State is 8-11 overall and 1-6 in conference. Arena still looks damn near sold out. If only we had that kind of fanbase. Yea their record is slightly better, but they also did not play our OOC schedule.

I'll be the first to admit it, I was wrong about this one. This was by far the best effort of the season and not because we won. We played with some swagger finally. We got into a good rhythm offensively and played tough on defense. The passing was better and we took care of the ball as well. They finally looked like a team out there against a very good opponent. Now we have to play them again back to back on the road. Let's see if we can keep it up. I did say on the other thread that if we win all 6 games coming up that I'd make a public apology video. That bet is still on the table.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Does it shock you Sims only averaged 5 pts. a game in high school?

I certainly did not know that.. but I’ve seen quite a few players develop late.. he showed a lot of confidence throughout this game tonight and I hadn’t seen that in him.. a far cry from the Bahamas when no one but Green could hit anything.. these guys are just different at home- again that’s what separates role players from starters.. need to see that confidence on the road.. that will be a sign of maturity..

I'll be the first to admit it, I was wrong about this one. This was by far the best effort of the season and not because we won. We played with some swagger finally. We got into a good rhythm offensively and played tough on defense. The passing was better and we took care of the ball as well. They finally looked like a team out there against a very good opponent. Now we have to play them again back to back on the road. Let's see if we can keep it up. I did say on the other thread that if we win all 6 games coming up that I'd make a public apology video. That bet is still on the table.
Winning all 6 is unlikely. Just beating UAB twice in a row will be tough. I will be happy if we make the conference tourney. We are forgetting out last 4 games will be against the other bottom teams. 4(should be) winnable games right there.

I certainly did not know that.. but I’ve seen quite a few players develop late.. he showed a lot of confidence throughout this game tonight and I hadn’t seen that in him.. a far cry from the Bahamas when no one but Green could hit anything.. these guys are just different at home- again that’s what separates role players from starters.. need to see that confidence on the road.. that will be a sign of maturity..
I think with Sims it is confidence and accepting his new role. Not saying he never had confidence in his game, but having confidence as a scorer and not just a facilitator. He played on a very good high school team, so he played within his role. I think it took him a little bit to adjust to a new role.

On another note. Wichita State is 8-11 overall and 1-6 in conference. Arena still looks damn near sold out. If only we had that kind of fanbase. Yea their record is slightly better, but they also did not play our OOC schedule.

Wichita St had a bunch of transfers the last 2 years and obviously some guys went to the NBA early.. it’s hard for teams to rebuild quickly- almost no matter who you are..

Wichita St had a bunch of transfers the last 2 years and obviously some guys went to the NBA early.. it’s hard for teams to rebuild quickly- almost no matter who you are..
Yea I know, but their fans are still there in a down year. That was my point. We talk about being the next VCU, but VCU has sellout crowds every game. It is rare we sell out against out rival. Our fans do not understand what is needed from them to be a top tier program.

Reactions: RandallThomason
I chalk some of that up to being a home game in which hopefully some of the regular posters attended and are busy otherwise and not on their devices til later..

Home games are always quieter.

Good win tonight for the boys. Sims is gonna be something special by the time he's out of town.

Yea I know, but their fans are still there in a down year. That was my point. We talk about being the next VCU, but VCU has sellout crowds every game. It is rare we sell out against out rival. Our fans do not understand what is needed from them to be a top tier program.
Agree but VCU has a smaller arena and is in a major metropolitan area. That said, averaging 7.5k a game is reasonable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT