ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (4-7) vs. St. Bonaventure (7-4), 2PM, Saturday, December 21, 2019

Yj
The late game possession that was the real killer was when Green got tied up on the inbounds pass when we were ahead by 1 with less than 30 seconds to go. We were down to our last timeout. As soon as it appeared Green was in trouble I wish we had used the final timeout there. Instead we got tied up. Arrow to the Bonnies and everything played out from there.

You're right. Thats was the killer miatake. Why did Mcdevitt not call timeout when they trapped Green?

Admittedly I didn’t see the game or the final offensive possession but going 14 of 21 from the FT line is how you really lose 1 point games..
My wife said in the first half the missed FTs will bite us. We had a chance to win and put the ball in the wrong hands.

I would also like to point out St. Bonnies is a VERY young team. Their top 3 scorers tonight were all just sophomores and their starting line up consists of 4 sophomores and 1 freshman....Meanwhile we had seniors and juniors stinking the place up.

We should not be losing games at home to a team as young as they are. They're younger than us and come into OUR gym and beat us?

Where is the pride?

PATHETIC. REALLY getting sick of this staff AND these players. They can all go as far as I'm concerned.

He is right though.
Yea I just don’t like the constant negativity. Sure there is not a lot to be positive about. We did play better today. If Green was hitting shots like last year we win this game. Gotta hope he comes out of the slump and we improve with Scurry and Millner back. Good thing about basketball is you just have to do good in the conference to get into the conference tourney and get hot. I doubt that happens, but who knows.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
I guess I just have a different perspective. Conference play is boring to me. The OOC games are what intrigues me because they typically involve teams that we don't play often and it's a good measuring stick to see where you're at on a national level.

We measure out well into the pathetic-playing-like-a-division-2-team category. This team is just flat out pathetic. Our games and results against our OOC opponents are honestly unredeemable in my eyes. The Lipscomb game was obviously a fluke at this point, a major outlier. If we do well in conference that is just a reflection of how piss poor this conference is, nothing more. Because this team is @$$. Serious @$$.

Like where is the pride? You're gonna let 4 sophomores and a freshman from the A10 come in here and punk you? Speechless.

I guess I just have a different perspective. Conference play is boring to me. The OOC games are what intrigues me because they typically involve teams that we don't play often and it's a good measuring stick to see where you're at on a national level.

We measure out well into the pathetic-playing-like-a-division-2-team category. This team is just flat out pathetic. Our games and results against our OOC opponents are honestly unredeemable in my eyes. The Lipscomb game was obviously a fluke at this point, a major outlier. If we do well in conference that is just a reflection of how piss poor this conference is, nothing more. Because this team is @$$. Serious @$$.

Like where is the pride? You're gonna let 4 sophomores and a freshman from the A10 come in here and punk you? Speechless.
Oh I agree I like OOC games better, but a little excitement to end the year with some momentum would be nice to have right now. Anything positive going forward.

Well, if anyone wants some good news there are some winnable conference games. There are several teams worse than the one we played today in the league.

If that's the sort of thing that makes you feel better.

This team just does not look like a product you would expect from the highest paid coach in CUSA in Year #2.

Ran off the court against teams like Ohio, Coastal Carolina, Tulane, and others who are poor to mediocre at best....

Can't even protect home court against 4 sophomores and a freshman from the A10.....

Another losing season on the way to make it 2 in a row........

We've got some problems in Murfreesboro folks. And McDevitt isn't fixing them.

So much for capitalizing on our recent successes. We are now a doormat again and all that hard work over the last decade spent building national credibility has been flushed down the toilet.

Gonna be hard to find talented players going forward. Nobody likes a loser.

This team just does not look like a product you would expect from the highest paid coach in CUSA in Year #2.

Ran off the court against teams like Ohio, Coastal Carolina, Tulane, and others who are poor to mediocre at best....

Can't even protect home court against 4 sophomores and a freshman from the A10.....

Another losing season on the way to make it 2 in a row........

We've got some problems in Murfreesboro folks. And McDevitt isn't fixing them.

So much for capitalizing on our recent successes. We are now a doormat again and all that hard work over the last decade spent building national credibility has been flushed down the toilet.

Gonna be hard to find talented players going forward. Nobody likes a loser.

You said the same thing last year- in fact you repeat this same stuff about every other loss.. and yet the coaches are landing talented players..

Reactions: 1985trueblue
A couple of thoughts and a question:

I really thought we looked much better last afternoon. Although caught out of position several times no doubt all players were hustling on "D". We appeared to run the offense better but it did look occasionally as if they were running the offense without looking for a shot (similar to Davis' first years). The players will have to learn to make adjustments during the game in order to be open for passes or shots.
One thing is on Green if not the staff: we should have been prepared for the press late in the game with the lead and should have run a pass break inbounds play which never, repeat never, allows the ball to be trapped in the corner of the backcourt. Either Green made a huge mistake or the coaching staff has not emphasized being ready for anything which could happen during the game. (I heard a very successful high school coach speak years ago who stated that he wanted to have his team prepared for anything which could happen during a game before the first game was played - the thought has stuck with me)
As for Green: I do agree with a previous poster that he possibly needs some "pine time" and coming off the bench could possibly get him out of his slump. A senior should not be this bad compared to his earlier career. Sad!
Scurry's and Millner's combined stat line is not impressive for a combined 39 minutes (almost a full game) but they both obviously hustled. I expect both of them go show marked improvement soon, possibly as soon as next Sunday even though the competition will be a step up.
Speaking of competition: Doubt we will see any 'Big" who influences the game as much as the Bonnie's Ossuniyi. A force down low who is as good as any "Big" as I've seen in person in a long time. I hope Jackson took notes (he did well considering his youth).

Question: A team can have 13 players on scholarship. We had 10 scholarship players play yesterday, have three sitting out (Dishman, Jordan, and Davis) yet we have five players in the gray warmups sitting on the bench. Can anyone definitely name the other two players? [who I assume are either injured walk-ons (why would a walk-on red shirt?) or transfers paying their own way] I would just like to know who they are and see where they fit in the future.

A couple of thoughts and a question:

I really thought we looked much better last afternoon. Although caught out of position several times no doubt all players were hustling on "D". We appeared to run the offense better but it did look occasionally as if they were running the offense without looking for a shot (similar to Davis' first years). The players will have to learn to make adjustments during the game in order to be open for passes or shots.
One thing is on Green if not the staff: we should have been prepared for the press late in the game with the lead and should have run a pass break inbounds play which never, repeat never, allows the ball to be trapped in the corner of the backcourt. Either Green made a huge mistake or the coaching staff has not emphasized being ready for anything which could happen during the game. (I heard a very successful high school coach speak years ago who stated that he wanted to have his team prepared for anything which could happen during a game before the first game was played - the thought has stuck with me)
As for Green: I do agree with a previous poster that he possibly needs some "pine time" and coming off the bench could possibly get him out of his slump. A senior should not be this bad compared to his earlier career. Sad!
Scurry's and Millner's combined stat line is not impressive for a combined 39 minutes (almost a full game) but they both obviously hustled. I expect both of them go show marked improvement soon, possibly as soon as next Sunday even though the competition will be a step up.
Speaking of competition: Doubt we will see any 'Big" who influences the game as much as the Bonnie's Ossuniyi. A force down low who is as good as any "Big" as I've seen in person in a long time. I hope Jackson took notes (he did well considering his youth).

Question: A team can have 13 players on scholarship. We had 10 scholarship players play yesterday, have three sitting out (Dishman, Jordan, and Davis) yet we have five players in the gray warmups sitting on the bench. Can anyone definitely name the other two players? [who I assume are either injured walk-ons (why would a walk-on red shirt?) or transfers paying their own way] I would just like to know who they are and see where they fit in the future.
I think one if the two guys is Marcus Mitchell. He is a 6’7” 235 lb. forward who is a walk on from Mississippi Valley State. He is listed on the roster, but I do not recall him playing this year. Other one might be Brian Coffey who is another walk on that previously played at University of North Florida. I was curious about that too. If it is the two walk ons why are they dressed like they are redshirting. Mitchell may have been some help while Scurry and Millner were out.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
With much already having been made about the ending of that game, some notice and attention deserves to be given for the generally improved play of the team. Again, it already seems Scurry & Milner returning are having a significant impact on the team. It was nice not already having the game over in the first 10 mins of the game on the way to giving up almost 50 pts in the 1st half.

Not only has the team added some reasonably decent size, depth, and experience to the frontcourt, a couple more players with 5 fouls each to give in a game helps defensively. Having Scurry and Milner return was bound to help. Jayce Johnson benefits from being able to move back to his natural position, and Crump can have more time to grow and develop without being thrown into the fire.

Perhaps the biggest upside to all of this, Tyson Jackson has stepped up tremendously even though he was thrown into the fire. He has responded superbly with outstanding development and improvement.

Obviously, the team still has a long long way to go to get better. Hopefully now the team will be more competitive with a healthier roster. It would now seem to be fairly reasonable to have some higher expectations of competing and improving the rest of the season.

Reactions: 1985trueblue
I think one if the two guys is Marcus Mitchell. He is a 6’7” 235 lb. forward who is a walk on from Mississippi Valley State. He is listed on the roster, but I do not recall him playing this year. Other one might be Brian Coffey who is another walk on that previously played at University of North Florida. I was curious about that too. If it is the two walk ons why are they dressed like they are redshirting. Mitchell may have been some help while Scurry and Millner were out.

It is quite possible that the taller of the two "unknowns" (actually the tallest of the five in gray) is Mitchell but I'm with you; why red shirt a walkon when they obviously could help? Injury? Academics? Additionally, if he is expected to obtain a scholarship does the imply we don't have a scholarship to give at this time?

And if the 5th player is Coffey what's his situation? To the best of my memory Kromah is the only walk-on who has played.

In other news concerning next year's roster: Recent reports have us offering 3 star JUCO PG Malik Zachery? Since this staff seems to be prudent in their offers just what does this alleged offer imply? Players are leaving? We don't expect to get Houston? Or?

I surely would like to know what the staff hopes the 13 man scholarship roster will look like next year? Regardless, we should have a much deeper bench.

It is quite possible that the taller of the two "unknowns" (actually the tallest of the five in gray) is Mitchell but I'm with you; why red shirt a walkon when they obviously could help? Injury? Academics? Additionally, if he is expected to obtain a scholarship does the imply we don't have a scholarship to give at this time?

And if the 5th player is Coffey what's his situation? To the best of my memory Kromah is the only walk-on who has played.

In other news concerning next year's roster: Recent reports have us offering 3 star JUCO PG Malik Zachery? Since this staff seems to be prudent in their offers just what does this alleged offer imply? Players are leaving? We don't expect to get Houston? Or?

I surely would like to know what the staff hopes the 13 man scholarship roster will look like next year? Regardless, we should have a much deeper bench.
I really do not know Coffey’s situation. As far as I know he was on scholarship and played about 10 minutes a game at North Florida according to his bio on our website. Why he would leave and walk on at MT I cannot answer.

With much already having been made about the ending of that game, some notice and attention deserves to be given for the generally improved play of the team. Again, it already seems Scurry & Milner returning are having a significant impact on the team. It was nice not already having the game over in the first 10 mins of the game on the way to giving up almost 50 pts in the 1st half.

Not only has the team added some reasonably decent size, depth, and experience to the frontcourt, a couple more players with 5 fouls each to give in a game helps defensively. Having Scurry and Milner return was bound to help. Jayce Johnson benefits from being able to move back to his natural position, and Crump can have more time to grow and develop without being thrown into the fire.

Perhaps the biggest upside to all of this, Tyson Jackson has stepped up tremendously even though he was thrown into the fire. He has responded superbly with outstanding development and improvement.

Obviously, the team still has a long long way to go to get better. Hopefully now the team will be more competitive with a healthier roster. It would now seem to be fairly reasonable to have some higher expectations of competing and improving the rest of the season.

Did they play better or just play another bad team. St. B - this year - is on par with Lipscomb who we now know is a really bad basketball team too. It’s really a shame that we’ve now become reliant upon moral victories against other mediocre basketball teams. Think about what this really says and implies that the best thing is we didn’t get blown out in the first 10 minutes by a team ranked nearly 200 in the nation.

Did they play better or just play another bad team. St. B - this year - is on par with Lipscomb who we now know is a really bad basketball team too. It’s really a shame that we’ve now become reliant upon moral victories against other mediocre basketball teams. Think about what this really says and implies that the best thing is we didn’t get blown out in the first 10 minutes by a team ranked nearly 200 in the nation.

I’m not saying this as a homer, but St. Bonaventure is better than Lipscomb. If they played on a neutral court the Bonnies would be favored by 4 or 5 points. Not saying St. Bonaventure is a world beater this year, and they are certainly aren’t as good as Rhode Island which we are about to face, but the Bonnies are a pretty good team. They’ve won 8 of 9 and are more likely to sneak close to the top 100 by the end of the year than they are to hang around 200. Pomeroy rates them 124 right now, which would make them the 4th highest ranked team in Conference USA.

Yeah my girlfriend is a St. Bonaventure alum so I follow them closely. They are much more talented than Lipscomb. Losing by 1 to them actually gives me a slight touch of hope that we have improved a little.

Why this assumption the Bonnies are just a bad team? They are on a 7 game win streak. Bad teams don't go on 7 game win streaks. Granted, their wins haven't come vs national powerhouses, but 7 straight wins vs run of the mill teams still requires at least some ability.

Granted I’m not following them closely but there are a couple of things we know. 1) They are a young team, much less experienced than our team yet they are finding ways to win games - something this team could certainly learn from. 2) We know who they have actually beat. They have one decent win (against Rutgers). That blue chip program up in NJ is it and then they turned around and lost to Canisius (227).

Here’s their wins during the streak...

Mercer 282
San Diego 209
FAU 235
Hofstra 189
Gannon (DII)
Niagara 306
MT 309

They also got blown out by 164.

One thing we can say about them we can’t say about our team. They may be playing a powder puff schedule but at least they are winning those games.

Some of y’all need to spend your holidays with Martha Stewart in her former cupcake jailhouse.

I will stop being negative when there’s something to be positive about and 1-8 against D1 hasn’t given much to be positive about.

It's hard to imagine anyone around here on this board or on the team and in coaching offices are happy or satisfied with losing. I suspect most are aggravated or even disgusted with all the losing. Adding to the frustration and disappointment is the fall after years of great success.

It seems a good percentage around here are choosing to extend some time and forbearance for the players and coaches to overcome the adversity and generally difficult circumstances that the current players and coaches have been faced with. I also suspect that most around here are not going to accept losing and poor performance for seasons to come.

While I can't anticipate exactly how long each fan will extend forbearance, I do know that for myself, the time has now arrived to start to see improvements on the court. At this point, improvements may not suggest a certain number of wins for the season. Speaking for myself, next season the coaches will need to start converting improvements into wins. Again, all of this assumes that the team will be giving maximum effort and learning to fight. The fastest way to lose my support, and I imagine most others support as well, is to give poor effort. Effort is non-negotiable.

Just because most around here are withholding outrage and disgust does not mean that most are going to tolerate and support losing as a normal way of life around the program for seasons to come.

With Dishman and Scurry out, most likely expected an extremely rough start to the season. Then throw in Milner's injury. Now that Scurry and Milner are back, it would stand to reason that the team should now start to demonstrate improvement.

Some of y’all need to spend your holidays with Martha Stewart in her former cupcake jailhouse.

I will stop being negative when there’s something to be positive about and 1-8 against D1 hasn’t given much to be positive about.

Agreed. As fans we should not be happy with these results and I would hope these coaches are not happy with the results either.

There is not much positivity in losing, especially when it's in our own gym to 4 sophomores and a freshman from the A10 and a team that is overall younger and more inexperienced than us! And we had the lead going into the final minute yet the more inexperienced team made the veteran-like plays and stole the W. Sorry, can't be positive after that.

You throw in the Coastal Carolina, Tulane, and Ohio debacles (who are also young teams with young coaches mostly) and it's very reasonable for us as fans to be pissed off and unhappy with what's going on. We should not be losing (and getting ran off the court in most cases) to these marginal teams and programs.

ADVERTISEMENT