ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (3-11, 0-1) vs (9-5, 0-1), 5PM, Saturday, January 5, 2019

I agree he gets a pass this year. But I think it's reasonable to expect winning after the first third of next season. Basketball is not football, teams can change dramatically from season to season.

Our basketball heritage is not as storied as some, but we have enough to expect winning before three years. What Kermit did was amazing. Last time I checked though, he wasn't the first to take us to the tournament or to beat a blue blood in it.

All I'm saying is MTSU basketball didn't start and end with Kermit Davis and while I really feel sorry CMD, there's no excuse not to be competitive in our league next season.

I have given Stock a lot of support over the years and have defended him. He has won more than he's lost here and has at least had 7 straight non losing seasons with P5 wins and such. He did more than others and we just competed in a championship game. At least he's getting into the postseason. Even that is waning for me now. I'm now considering not buy season tix and finding other things to do on Saturdays. After 30+ years, I'm asking myself is this really all that important especially when I'm constantly told by our admin that I don't matter and everyone else is smart enough to take the hint and not show? I was very critical of folks who weren't TRUE BLUE or ALL IN. Now, I think they were the smart ones and me not so much. Massaro has driven this thing into the ground and he keeps doing it and no one checks him for it. Now, I'm just getting tired of it all. I sound like a hypocrite and I'm ok with that because I like many of you have just about had enough. We are not alone. 20k empty seats during a championship game tells us that clearly.

This new guy is in a hole that I just don't think he'll dig out of. Look guys, he's getting a pass this year no matter what I think or say. I know this. I know I don't matter. That message is read loud and clear from Massaro and the entire experience over there. I don't particularly care for CMD's style or the lack of fundamentals and D but besides that, he's gonna be here and nothing is changing that. I don't have to like it and I don't have to like the fact that Massaro is an imbecile who blew up a good and well established basketball program by just a few stupid actions and more than a few inactions.

It might be time for me to change up the wardrobe and not wear my MT gear everyday or buy tons of it every year. I think I'm starting to switch priorities a bit and take more of a break from it. It will never meet our expectations and now it's just getting to be depressing as hell. Even our football coach is crying. Sheesh. What's this basketball coach gonna do when he has a 3-4 win total and we don't even get an invite in the CUSA tourney for the first time?

Last edited:
I don’t know if the coach will b a success here or not but I’m not giving up on him yet. Judgement now is not fair. I plan on being in section h as I have been for over 40 years yikes. Supporting blue raiders no matter who the coach is r record. I also think the final decision on coach was made by pres.

Reactions: Hop45
I have given Stock a lot of support over the years and have defended him. He has won more than he's lost here and has at least had 7 straight non losing seasons with P5 wins and such. He did more than others and we just competed in a championship game. At least he's getting into the postseason. Even that is waning for me now. I'm now considering not buy season tix and finding other things to do on Saturdays. After 30+ years, I'm asking myself is this really all that important especially when I'm constantly told by our admin that I don't matter and everyone else is smart enough to take the hint and not show? I was very critical of folks who weren't TRUE BLUE or ALL IN. Now, I think they were the smart ones and me not so much. Massaro has driven this thing into the ground and he keeps doing it and no one checks him for it. Now, I'm just getting tired of it all. I sound like a hypocrite and I'm ok with that because I like many of you have just about had enough. We are not alone. 20k empty seats during a championship game tells us that clearly.

This new guy is in a hole that I just don't think he'll dig out of. Look guys, he's getting a pass this year no matter what I think or say. I know this. I know I don't matter. That message is read loud and clear from Massaro and the entire experience over there. I don't particularly care for CMD's style or the lack of fundamentals and D but besides that, he's gonna be here and nothing is changing that. I don't have to like it and I don't have to like the fact that Massaro is an imbecile who blew up a good and well established basketball program by just a few stupid actions and more than a few inactions.

It might be time for me to change up the wardrobe and not wear my MT gear everyday or buy tons of it every year. I think I'm starting to switch priorities a bit and take more of a break from it. It will never meet our expectations and now it's just getting to be depressing as hell. Even our football coach is crying. Sheesh. What's this basketball coach gonna do when he has a 3-4 win total and we don't even get an invite in the CUSA tourney for the first time?

Welcome to the club, JT.
Nothing changes if we continue to throw money at Massaro and this mess he has created.

I don’t know if the coach will b a success here or not but I’m not giving up on him yet. Judgement now is not fair. I plan on being in section h as I have been for over 40 years yikes. Supporting blue raiders no matter who the coach is r record. I also think the final decision on coach was made by pres.
Massaro made that call with his connections. President approved it.

Massaro made that call with his connections. President approved it.

Massaro wanted Odom. McPhee wanted McDevitt. Rumor is McDevitt was requesting a lot less $$$$ than Odom. Odom wanted an insane amount of money for his assistants plus private planes for recruiting plus a 750k or 1 mil salary. He of course is a South Carolina connection. Massaro would have hired him if it were his call.

McPhee basically forced Massaro to hire McDevitt from what I hear, probably because cheaper. Both of them need to go TBH. McPhee and Massaro both have failed our athletics programs greatly.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueraiderJT
Massaro wanted Odom. McPhee wanted McDevitt. Rumor is McDevitt was requesting a lot less $$$$ than Odom. Odom wanted an insane amount of money for his assistants plus private planes for recruiting plus a 750k or 1 mil salary. He of course is a South Carolina connection. Massaro would have hired him if it were his call.

McPhee basically forced Massaro to hire McDevitt from what I hear, probably because cheaper. Both of them need to go TBH. McPhee and Massaro both have failed our athletics programs greatly.
The best coach was right under their nose.
Mcphee likes the free travel and meals. Massaro milking returement fund. We stuck with of them for a while.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Thanks for the explanation. It totally makes sense. Both are to blame definitely.

Yeah, I'm a fair weather fan. LOL Been on these boards for over 15 years and have gone to games year in and year out since 87 but I'm a fair weather. :) If this dude starts winning, I'll gladly eat crow and say I was wrong. My gut says otherwise but I've been wrong plenty of times before and will freely admit it if I am. I don't think I will be but we'll see. I don't blame anyone for not showing up to see a 3 win team.
Not supporting a team when they are bad and supporting them when they are good is textbook fairweather fan. Also never said you were. Did not mention anyone by name. It was a general statement for many on this board. If you go to games when the team is good and when they are not then you are not fair weather. Not sure why you would respond.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

I know for a fact that Ryan Odom was never interested in the MTSU job.. also CNM passed up another job paying 1M/year but it was a dead end bball job..

I know for a fact that Ryan Odom was never interested in the MTSU job.. also CNM passed up another job paying 1M/year but it was a dead end bball job..

Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about, and need to stop pretending that you know about this when you don't. Not only was he interested Odom was negotiating parameters of what he wanted in the deal. Massaro took those parameters to the President. To act like you know more than people who sit at the same table of the leadership of the university is not only stupid it defeats what little waning credibility you have which you've began wasting in taking up for your buddy.

The biggest problem for Nick right now isn't his current lack of talent on the current team. It's that nearly every single coach (outside of Memphis) that has attempted to implement this style in C-USA has fallen flat. And the only reason Memphis could do is because (well they cheat for one) and they can get the type of talent needed to execute it. This system can work in leagues where there is elite talent or in league's where they don't play much defense (i.e. SoCon).

It hasn't been all that successful in C-USA and probably won't with Nick either. Because let's be honest. We know our limitations and we aren't getting 4-star recruits to sign here. It simply isn't going to work, and I knew we were in trouble after the first two pseudo exhibition games where NAIA players were outplaying us in spurts. I've said it since those two games. It's going to be a long season. And it's going to be a long next season. Beyond that no one knows, and I believe you have to give a new head coach some time to get his players and system in place. But I'm with JT here. Sometimes you can just see the underlying issue isn't about talent and that the person hired isn't a good fit. Western Ky just did that in football after just two seasons. I've said this several times that I do hope I'm wrong, and Nick does indeed seem like a great guy. I just don't think it will work here. It's failed too many times in this league before. And so far I've seen nothing out of Nick that suggests he can coach his way into a better situation. He may recruit well but he won't recruit well enough to replicate our success in the past because we simply can't get elite talent at MT that this type of system requires in this type of conference. And that's on the President (and AD to an extent who should have been able to make that point) for not realizing that his success at Asheville doesn't mean it will work here. In this type of league.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Just gonna have to wait it out. This season is done. Gotta wait and see how we do next year. I’m done talking MT men’s bball for this year.

Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about, and need to stop pretending that you know about this when you don't. Not only was he interested Odom was negotiating parameters of what he wanted in the deal. Massaro took those parameters to the President. To act like you know more than people who sit at the same table of the leadership of the university is not only stupid it defeats what little waning credibility you have which you've began wasting in taking up for your buddy.

I posted quickly and will retract my poor word choice in haste of saying ‘never interested’..

However, you my friend weren’t sitting at the table I was this past summer either.. I don’t believe based on those direct conversations that Ryan and his family were going to accept the MTSU job even if they met his request.. that’s not a knock on MTSU or the potential offer..

I would suggest instead of worrying about my credentials that you stop looking in the rear view mirror for things that never panned out with any of the other candidates..

I posted quickly and will retract my poor word choice in haste of saying ‘never interested’..

However, you my friend weren’t sitting at the table I was this past summer either.. I don’t believe based on those direct conversations that Ryan and his family were going to accept the MTSU job even if they met his request.. that’s not a knock on MTSU or the potential offer..

I would suggest instead of worrying about my credentials that you stop looking in the rear view mirror for things that never panned out with any of the other candidates..

Of course the Odom's are going to lead you to believe that. McDevitt was taken over him so naturally he's going to act like he didn't want the gig. You really think he wanted to stay at UMBC making significantly less? Great year they're having by the way....

Of course the Odom's are going to lead you to believe that. McDevitt was taken over him so naturally he's going to act like he didn't want the gig. You really think he wanted to stay at UMBC making significantly less? Great year they're having by the way....

You think Ryan didn’t have other offers? Don’t bet on that one Wiley...

Just gonna have to wait it out. This season is done. Gotta wait and see how we do next year. I’m done talking MT men’s bball for this year.
I highly doubt you are done. I think we would all like to be of it continues like it is. I think you and others have too much passion for it to not say another word about it. We all may disagree and stuff on here, but we all want the same thing. We just disagree on how to get there sometimes. I think we forget that sometimes.

The biggest problem for Nick right now isn't his current lack of talent on the current team. It's that nearly every single coach (outside of Memphis) that has attempted to implement this style in C-USA has fallen flat. And the only reason Memphis could do is because (well they cheat for one) and they can get the type of talent needed to execute it. This system can work in leagues where there is elite talent or in league's where they don't play much defense (i.e. SoCon).

It hasn't been all that successful in C-USA and probably won't with Nick either. Because let's be honest. We know our limitations and we aren't getting 4-star recruits to sign here. It simply isn't going to work, and I knew we were in trouble after the first two pseudo exhibition games where NAIA players were outplaying us in spurts. I've said it since those two games. It's going to be a long season. And it's going to be a long next season. Beyond that no one knows, and I believe you have to give a new head coach some time to get his players and system in place. But I'm with JT here. Sometimes you can just see the underlying issue isn't about talent and that the person hired isn't a good fit. Western Ky just did that in football after just two seasons. I've said this several times that I do hope I'm wrong, and Nick does indeed seem like a great guy. I just don't think it will work here. It's failed too many times in this league before. And so far I've seen nothing out of Nick that suggests he can coach his way into a better situation. He may recruit well but he won't recruit well enough to replicate our success in the past because we simply can't get elite talent at MT that this type of system requires in this type of conference. And that's on the President (and AD to an extent who should have been able to make that point) for not realizing that his success at Asheville doesn't mean it will work here. In this type of league.

HOLY CRAP! That's exactly what I was trying to say. Great post.

Didn't we go after ETSU's guy (Forbes) first? I thought we did. CMD was like 3rd or 4th down the line right? Just curious.

Reactions: abarnett
Forbes didn't even bat an eye. He rejected us out of the gate. I don't even think we got far enough along to even make an offer to him.

The skinny on Odom is that ECU also wanted him, but he basically rejected them kind of like Forbes did us. UMBC wanted to put an extension package together, but we were in on Odom well before UMBC got their extension package put together. What we offered Odom was about double what UMBC eventually extended him on. The problem was as Wiley said. McPhee shot down the request for more money assistants and the charter. Which I don't understand the charter. We own a fleet of our own damn planes. But McPhee continues to show he's pretty much brainless.

Had we met Odom's three requirements. Salary, salary for assistants, and the charter I believe there was about a 95% chance he would have been the head coach. Although we could have met all three (which was less than the the total compensation offered to Kermit and his staff to stay) we only met one of the three. Because we have a dearth of leadership. About three or four days after CNM was hired Odom got an extension with UMBC. Fun fact. Odom's home in Annapolis is less than 5 miles from me by boat. Slightly further by car.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
The biggest difference between the two IMO is that CNM wanted the job from the get go and wanted to sell himself. Odom wanted to be woo'd and wanted the Univ to sell him. The latter is how big time programs do it. We don't have big time leadership thus we don't have a big time program.

My intuition is that CNM flames out here. My hope is that he shows us something he hasn't yet and is wildly successful. Will be interesting to see how those two careers go. I think Odom will be in a power conference within three years. Hopefully, CNM will have produced a .500 season within three years.

Odom isn't going anywhere if UMBC keeps playing like they are. Really starting to look like a 1 hit wonder. They flat out suck this year.

In reality, we have to give McDevitt time to get his guys in here. It's unfortunate we are going to have to endure multiple losing seasons after having sustained success for so long. That's what bothers me, I want to win now. We were on the precipice of truly breaking onto the national stage and making a name for ourselves and now all of that's been completely pissed away.

Before I abandon this thread and move onto other threads, I would like to further clarify a point or two. Myself, I'm not trying to suggest that folks avoid criticism of the team's or coaches' performance. I'm asking that the criticism not be overly harsh, unfair, unrealistic, etc. Heck, I certainly have some complaints and criticisms especially when MT is on a double digits losing streak.

Something seems appropriate to reinforce here. While most of us may disagree about a lot of different things, it seems like just about everyone is tired of Massaro and McPhee's leadership, or lack thereof. I know I have little to no confidence in the job either of them are doing. It seems as if I'm hoping for the coaches to excel for MT despite the ongoing weak leadership the coaches have for a boss.

All I’ll say is, remember that the returning core of this team are left from Kermit’s tenure. Clearly we were going to be bad unless we happened to get another star transfer. Green can’t will us to wins, unfortunately, but with time we will start to put some good games together. Whether that’s next year with experience or later this year remains to be seen

Trust me...Coach Nick is much more frustrated with this team than any of us. He knows they have trouble making routine passes and some even being able to catch the ball.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
isn't it going to be hard to recruit high tier players to such a bad team? I guess you can try and sell play time, but nobody is gonna wanna play for a program that loses every time it steps on the floor.

isn't it going to be hard to recruit high tier players to such a bad team? I guess you can try and sell play time, but nobody is gonna wanna play for a program that loses every time it steps on the floor.

Not necessarily.. If I’m wanting to play right away, which most kids do, then I also recognize an opportunity that may not be available if I’m recruited to play behind an upperclassman in other programs..

UCF went 0-12 in 2015 and then 13-0 in 2017. Did not seem to hurt their ability to get quality players in. I would say most recruits would understand the situation and care about what they think the program will be like with them added. All depends on if the recruits believe what the coach is telling them and if they like his vision and style of play.

All I’ll say is, remember that the returning core of this team are left from Kermit’s tenure. Clearly we were going to be bad unless we happened to get another star transfer. Green can’t will us to wins, unfortunately, but with time we will start to put some good games together. Whether that’s next year with experience or later this year remains to be seen

We would have had more than 3 wins under Kermit no matter who we had on the team. Come on now. KD's style of D and fundamentals kept us in games and we won games sometimes because of his style of play. CNM's style of play and strategy working in this conference is more of the issue. He clearly couldn't connect with what players we had or what he brought in. So now we move onto the most important question... What does next year look like?

His ability to recruit is gonna be the telling factor. He's gonna need some transfers or ready to play freshmen in a hurry. If he doesn't get some talent who can run his style, we won't win 10 games next year either.

UCF went 0-12 in 2015 and then 13-0 in 2017. Did not seem to hurt their ability to get quality players in. I would say most recruits would understand the situation and care about what they think the program will be like with them added. All depends on if the recruits believe what the coach is telling them and if they like his vision and style of play.

Scott Frost came in and changed the whole program. That's way different than this situation. UCF was in shambles. MT was in a much higher place and it crashed to the bottom. Much different deal. His first year with UCF, he took em to a bowl. CNM won't even get us 5 wins or more than that.

Scott Frost came in and changed the whole program. That's way different than this situation. UCF was in shambles. MT was in a much higher place and it crashed to the bottom. Much different deal. His first year with UCF, he took em to a bowl. CNM won't even get us 5 wins or more than that.
My point was it is not always wins and losses that determine recruits signing with a program or not. There are other factors. Obviously not the exact same situation.

We would have had more than 3 wins under Kermit no matter who we had on the team. Come on now. KD's style of D and fundamentals kept us in games and we won games sometimes because of his style of play. CNM's style of play and strategy working in this conference is more of the issue. He clearly couldn't connect with what players we had or what he brought in. So now we move onto the most important question... What does next year look like?

His ability to recruit is gonna be the telling factor. He's gonna need some transfers or ready to play freshmen in a hurry. If he doesn't get some talent who can run his style, we won't win 10 games next year either.
Could not connect with the players we had? You mean that he could not overlook 3 of them apparently doing some pretty bad stuff? To me he is clearly doing something right because the players are still giving maximum effort. There may be a lack of experience and talent, but not a lack of effort. Lack of effort would tell me more about Nick's ability to connect with his players than their performance. There is clearly a gap between what CNM is telling them he wants and what they are doing, but that has nothing to do with his ability to connect. Could simply be the players are not capable of doing what he asks at this time. Which appears to be pretty much anything on the floor. Kermit may have a few more wins right now, but is it worth changing his system completely this year for a few more wins? Some will say yes and others will say no. Neither is right and neither is wrong.

Could not connect with the players we had? You mean that he could not overlook 3 of them apparently doing some pretty bad stuff? To me he is clearly doing something right because the players are still giving maximum effort. There may be a lack of experience and talent, but not a lack of effort. Lack of effort would tell me more about Nick's ability to connect with his players than their performance. There is clearly a gap between what CNM is telling them he wants and what they are doing, but that has nothing to do with his ability to connect. Could simply be the players are not capable of doing what he asks at this time. Which appears to be pretty much anything on the floor. Kermit may have a few more wins right now, but is it worth changing his system completely this year for a few more wins? Some will say yes and others will say no. Neither is right and neither is wrong.

Yes, It is worth changing "the system" if it means more wins THIS year. You don't play for next year. This is not football you can change "systems" rather easily between season. Just look at what Kermit is doing with Ole Miss this season. I agree that McDevitt is doing something right as far as getting the players to continue to play hard despite the horrible record.

I came to enjoy watching Kermit's style of play. I liked MT basketball having the identity of being tough and dominating with defense. I was kind of hoping that Massaro would have gone the direction of a hard nosed defense first head coach to continue that identity that most of us MT fans had come to like so much and enjoy. Ultimately, that did not happen, and I'm willing to give CNM a chance to put in his system.

A couple of reminders. Kermit never really had horrible seasons. I still recall MT being stuck around .500 for about 10 years. After about 10 years, Kermit and his staff were able to dial in the talent and style of play to finally work together for big success. The upside? If CNM doesn't work out, we should know long before 10 years of mediocrity.

I don't even know if CNM's system has a name or identity with an attached buzzword in the college basketball world. After watching most of the games, I'm starting to get a feel for what he is doing on the court. As far as I can tell, one of his key factors is what he brings off the court. And that is something that will take a couple of years to really get into place, but it is an approach that I believe could work really well. Apparently, CNM values developing quality loyal and genuine relationships with recruits and his players. It takes more time to establish quality relationships, but I'm convinced it will yield excellent results in the long run especially in recruiting. One indication of CNM's ability to establish and connect in good relationships is the effort the players are exhibiting despite a horrible record and miserable losing streak.

For what it's worth, it was about the Ole Miss game that I think I started to notice the team coming together for a few minutes on the court in the system CNM is trying to install. Since then, the team has seemed to be able to grasp and execute his philosophy about 10-15 minutes a game. In the last couple of games, I think the team is implementing the coach's system for close to 20 mins. I hoping before long they will be able to implement the system for 30+ mins. In my opinion, they are not that far from securing a win. At this point the team being able to secure a few wins before the end of the season would be fairly decent success relative to this long losing streak.

I'll also readily admit that at this same time next year if MT is still struggling to get to 5 wins again, my attitude will likely be quite different. I do suspect that it will probably take 2 more years to build back up to a good number of wins that would constitute a reasonably successful season. Hopefully next year with new recruits, players currently sitting out, team overall growth, and improving chemistry, I'm hoping that the team will be showing good improvement with a decent amount of wins.

I came to enjoy watching Kermit's style of play. I liked MT basketball having the identity of being tough and dominating with defense. I was kind of hoping that Massaro would have gone the direction of a hard nosed defense first head coach to continue that identity that most of us MT fans had come to like so much and enjoy. Ultimately, that did not happen, and I'm willing to give CNM a chance to put in his system.

A couple of reminders. Kermit never really had horrible seasons. I still recall MT being stuck around .500 for about 10 years. After about 10 years, Kermit and his staff were able to dial in the talent and style of play to finally work together for big success. The upside? If CNM doesn't work out, we should know long before 10 years of mediocrity.

I don't even know if CNM's system has a name or identity with an attached buzzword in the college basketball world. After watching most of the games, I'm starting to get a feel for what he is doing on the court. As far as I can tell, one of his key factors is what he brings off the court. And that is something that will take a couple of years to really get into place, but it is an approach that I believe could work really well. Apparently, CNM values developing quality loyal and genuine relationships with recruits and his players. It takes more time to establish quality relationships, but I'm convinced it will yield excellent results in the long run especially in recruiting. One indication of CNM's ability to establish and connect in good relationships is the effort the players are exhibiting despite a horrible record and miserable losing streak.

For what it's worth, it was about the Ole Miss game that I think I started to notice the team coming together for a few minutes on the court in the system CNM is trying to install. Since then, the team has seemed to be able to grasp and execute his philosophy about 10-15 minutes a game. In the last couple of games, I think the team is implementing the coach's system for close to 20 mins. I hoping before long they will be able to implement the system for 30+ mins. In my opinion, they are not that far from securing a win. At this point the team being able to secure a few wins before the end of the season would be fairly decent success relative to this long losing streak.

I'll also readily admit that at this same time next year if MT is still struggling to get to 5 wins again, my attitude will likely be quite different. I do suspect that it will probably take 2 more years to build back up to a good number of wins that would constitute a reasonably successful season. Hopefully next year with new recruits, players currently sitting out, team overall growth, and improving chemistry, I'm hoping that the team will be showing good improvement with a decent amount of wins.

I'd love .500 right now. Bro, this dude won't even get 5 wins. I bet he won't get 10 next year. So 2 years to still not get as many wins as Kermit did in his first season. LOL. I would take mediocre over train wreck any day. Y'all have the right attitude though. Me, not so much. It's too painful to watch.

No doubt a 13 game losing streak sucks. Admittedly, low expectations for this season lessens the sting slightly. I thought the FAU loss was the most difficult or frustrating. FAU was struggling with key players out. MT showed some positive signs early in the game only to blow it with a massive amount of turnovers. The upside of that? It seemed to get the teams' attention to better work on turnovers. In my opinion, it seems they are making some progress in trying to take care of the ball.

In my view, double digit win total next year is absolutely necessary. 10 wins at a minimum, hopefully more like 15 wins or .500 could be achieved. Circumstances would effect expectations.

CNM is our guy now. He's a Blue Raider. I want to try to support him as he tries to implement his system and style on the program. If at some point it becomes clear that he's not up to the job, I will in all likelihood be one of the voices calling for change. Presently, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I hope over the next couple of years he can develop the team back into a winner with big success. I don't know him personally, but he seems like a good guy. I'm hoping he can have big success here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT