ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (1-5, 1-3) @ Rice (0-0) (ESPN3), 2:30PM, Saturday, October 24, 2020

Yep. So that’s .000034% chances of that happening assuming the math is right (I don’t intend to double check it LOL).

We witnessed history and probably something no one else in this lifetime will ever see again. You have a better chance at showing up to see a perfect game thrown.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueraiderJT
Last edited:
On offense, a real OL coach would solve this 75% of the issue. An OC up in the box would fix the other 25%.

On defense, a real DL coach would help tremendously but I'm afraid we need a new DC. Shafer isnt getting it done anymore. Giving up a 4th and 24 is horrible.
OL and DL coaches should have been replaced 2-3 years ago...now it's preventing the team from taking a step forward.

OL and DL coaches should have been replaced 2-3 years ago...now it's preventing the team from taking a step forward.

You are spot on.

That 4th and 24 play doesn’t happen if we had a DL that could put consistent pressure on the QB.

But we can’t, so SS is forced to blitz so the QB doesn’t just sit back there and have all day. We still don’t get to the QB, which put Reed in a position he shouldn’t be in. Reed loses discipline and crashes on the underneath in route at ~18 yards (honestly I see how it happens because if the ball goes there and Reed doesn’t crash, it’s a first down too), and the hit the skinny post to the spot Reed vacated.

Yes, Reed bit, but to your point our front put him in a terrible situation and that’s on talent and DL coaching. There’s no way a QB should be able to go through a progression 20+ yards down field looking into a blitz.

You are spot on.

That 4th and 24 play doesn’t happen if we had a DL that could put consistent pressure on the QB.

But we can’t, so SS is forced to blitz so the QB doesn’t just sit back there and have all day. We still don’t get to the QB, which put Reed in a position he shouldn’t be in. Reed loses discipline and crashes on the underneath in route at ~18 yards (honestly I see how it happens because if the ball goes there and Reed doesn’t crash, it’s a first down too), and the hit the skinny post to the spot Reed vacated.

Yes, Reed bit, but to your point our front put him in a terrible situation and that’s on talent and DL coaching. There’s no way a QB should be able to go through a progression 20+ yards down field looking into a blitz.
I think the 4th and 24 doesn't happen if brought 3 and dropped the rest back. That was a stupid playcall IMO. Same goes for the TD play on that drive.

I think the 4th and 24 doesn't happen if brought 3 and dropped the rest back. That was a stupid playcall IMO. Same goes for the TD play on that drive.

What’s the #1 rule for a free safety in cover 3 at any level of football? Don’t let a player behind you.
On the 4th and 24, what did our FS do? Broke on the underneath route to leave the deep middle open. If our Reed does what he was supposed to, they don’t complete that pass. That’s not playcall, that’s football 101. Watch the film and Reed’s reaction. Think he is upset about the playcall or he knows he screwed up? As mentioned above, I see why he did it, but that doesn’t mean it was not a breakdown.

On the TD, we got pressure on the QB and forced an under throw. What went wrong? First, the receiver got a free release from the line of scrimmage with no jam, MMG didn’t turn to locate the ball until late & the receiver got away with a pushoff. Plus, the under throw essentially became a back shoulder throw which is difficult to defend. That’s not on the playcall, that’s execution.

So our D breaks down in man, breaks down in zone & we can’t put pressure on the QB with out blitzing, and you see it as a playcalling issue?

If we dropped 8 and put no pressure on the QB, what’s to say he wouldn’t just sit in the pocket until our zone breaks down and completes the pass? Then you would be complainIng about running prevent D.

Playcalling is the most overrated complaint by fans. Our problems are so much more than that.

RaiderDawg78 is absolutely correct. And I’ll take it one step further. In my day, we played a <2:00 min. coverage called “pigtail”, took the left end out and replaced him with another safety lined up another 10 yards deeper than the free safety in front of him. The other four DB’s were in Cover 3 and I would roll with the QB’s eyes over the top as the last line of defense keeping everything in front of me.
I’m a Blankenship fan but I think he blew a coverage. Thankfully it didn’t cost them the game after the Rice kicker played pinball.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure we were in cover 3. Looks like they were in some sort of weird sandlot defense where they basically had all four DB's hanging out right at the yard stick 23 yards from the line of scrimmage. So, I don't know what the hell they were in, and it may have been Reed's area but what shocks me is that they damn sure weren't protecting against a deep throw. Shocking because on 2nd and long Rice went deep and the receiver got behind the defense. On 3rd and long, Rice went deep and the receiver got behind the defense. It's almost like we were surprised they would do it again hoping if they sat 20 yards down field they would just take the wide open underneath route. Yet on 4th and long, they went deep again and the receiver got behind the defense...again for a third straight play. This time the QB didn't overthrow.

That all points to coaching. We're just not a well coached team.

I'm not even sure we were in cover 3. Looks like they were in some sort of weird sandlot defense where they basically had all four DB's hanging out right at the yard stick 23 yards from the line of scrimmage. So, I don't know what the hell they were in, and it may have been Reed's area but what shocks me is that they damn sure weren't protecting against a deep throw. Shocking because on 2nd and long Rice went deep and the receiver got behind the defense. On 3rd and long, Rice went deep and the receiver got behind the defense. It's almost like we were surprised they would do it again hoping if they sat 20 yards down field they would just take the wide open underneath route. Yet on 4th and long, they went deep again and the receiver got behind the defense...again for a third straight play. This time the QB didn't overthrow.

That all points to coaching. We're just not a well coached team.

Yep.

We break down in technique and basic defensive principles so much. Throw in a lack of overall depth and talentand you get a Dumpster fire. And I don’t think playcalling is great, I just feel like the problems are so much deeper. There’s not many plays in the book for breakdowns in zone or m2m. At least the effort seems to be there.

just an overall crap show

Austin Trammell is one hell of a receiver. He lit us up last year when Rice beat us. i was shocked they didn't use him more in the first half of the game like last year. He's kind of like Patrick Honeycut was for us except Trammell is taller.

The D is a mess. Coaching, execution, and overall strategy. When you give up almost 800 yards to UNT, you should be fired. Giving up a 4th and 23 deep in the 4th to Rice? I would have made the Defensive staff find their own way back home.

Reactions: MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT