ADVERTISEMENT

Midday 180 broadcasting from Student Union Thursday

An word on who; if any; MT coaches, administrators, etc., will be interviewed.

I kinda want to go over there just to boo them for 3 hours.
That will make them cover us more. Seriously, why do we get mad at media for not covering us? It's a demand issue. We have been a title contender in the conference for years and we draw 4K max for hoops. We don't have enough interest to demand coverage so they don't supply it. It's not their fault.

Seriously, why do we get mad at media for not covering us? It's a demand issue. We have been a title contender in the conference for years and we draw 4K max for hoops. We don't have enough interest to demand coverage so they don't supply it. It's not their fault.
Same with football. If Kermit and Rick can get their teams into the top 25 then we will see attendance and media coverage blossom.

That will make them cover us more. Seriously, why do we get mad at media for not covering us? It's a demand issue. We have been a title contender in the conference for years and we draw 4K max for hoops. We don't have enough interest to demand coverage so they don't supply it. It's not their fault.

I have to agree about media coverage, but we could boost sports talk coverage by simply calling in a lot. I think there hasn't been a lot of talk about Middle because we haven't had confidence the teams could back up our enthusiasm. The Nashville Media won't acknowledge Middle until we get several big wins, but we can make them notice how much interest there is by simply calling in large numbers regularly. I'm not a huge basketball fan, but the issue is the same in all sports coverage. Even people like Vandy Lance get noticed because of their persistence; and we all know they haven't had much to brag about in football aside from the Franklin era . If we don't call talk shows, we are confirming their assumption that there isn't any community/fan base interest.

Listened to a little over two hours of the show yesterday. I should say wasted a little over two hours hoping for a little MT sports talk. Other than a call in by Little Summit no other interviews that I heard or were promoed as upcoming. To the hosts it appeared that the most important aspect of the game last night was that Pat would be in attendance. Early in the interview Little Summit said he was honored to be allowed an interview along with Insell. It was clear the hosts didn't know how to respond. Also, they apparently hadn't done any homework (they were aware that WKU was somewhere at the top of the conference but no mention of leader UTEP.

I could be wrong but I would bet the hosts all just winged it through the show. I suspect absolutely no preparation and not one call to a MT coach or administrator asking them to come by.

Talk was on the following and similar topics: High schools which have a BkB homecoming along with FB and do they have a King to go with the Queen?; Best duo who played together at a college and went on to successful NFL careers (spent about an hour on this non-topic - who the f--k cares?); Michigan holding spring practice during spring break in Florida; and the O J. Simpson mini-series.

I guess it's my age but I just don't get such drivel being entertaining, much less called "sports talk".

Last edited:
Reactions: MTLynn
Listened to a little over two hours of the show yesterday. I should say wasted a little over two hours hoping for a little MT sports talk. Other than a call in by Little Summit no other interviews that I heard or were promoed as upcoming. To the hosts it appeared that the most important aspect of the game last night was that Pat would be in attendance. Early in the interview Little Summit said he was honored to be allowed an interview along with Insell. It was clear the hosts didn't know now to respond. Also, they apparently hadn't done any homework (they were aware that WKU was somewhere at the top of the conference but no mention of leader UTEP.

I could be wrong but I would bet the hosts all just winged it through the show. I suspect absolutely no preparation and not one call to a MT coach or administrator asking them to come by.

Talk was on the following and similar topics: High schools which have a BkB homecoming along with FB and do they have a King to go with the Queen?; Best duo who played together at a college and went on to successful NFL careers (spent about an hour on this non-topic - who the f--k cares?); Michigan holding spring practice during spring break in Florida; and the O J. Simpson mini-series.

I guess it's my age but I just don't get such drivel being entertaining, much less called "sports talk".

Thanks I was unable to listen in. I checked twitter in vane for any mention of any MT sports affiliated personalities being interviewed. Were our people totally unaware they were there or was there no interest in MT sports participating at all during the show?

I was able to pick up from twitter the latech coach being interviewed and linked it in the thread on the women's sports board.

It appears the trip to MT was a promotion for some new MtDew product which they were giving away to students.

If you were an MT coach or administrator would you just drop by uninvited should such a show come to campus? (Bruce Stewart would have, never missed an opportunity to promote regardless of circumstances; but he was a unique personality and times have changed)

So let me get this straight, mid day 180 came to OUR campus and they interviewed Tyler Summit? Tyler freaking Summit! The only thing he has done noteworthy in the game of basketball is being born to Pat Summit, he didnt have a good basketball career, he hasnt done anything special in coaching. Nobody thought to send McGuire over there with baseball season coming up, or Tony Franklin or Stock or little Stock or Massarro himself... boy I tell you our athletic department never ceases to amaze me. Heck, Tyler even said wow I didnt know yall were going to have the enemy on the show smh.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
And.... my point has been made. Interview Tyler Summit but not MT folks and they come on a day when Kermit and co are on the road.

I don't mind the non coverage but the crap they pull like this and the quips they make about us on air is why I boo them and it's justified.

Reactions: SmithO1906
I asked via Twitter if Insell was coming. The show said they reached out but Insell couldn't make it work. Sounds like that's on us/Insell/Massarro/Mark Owens.

Insell the only MT person they thought of? Insell perhaps couldn't make it work (In my opinion he should move heaven and earth to get any time on Nashville sports talk, but perhaps that's just me) and Davis was in Rustin but at least a half-dozen MT athletic personnel come to mind who could (and should) have been asked to drop by.

Are you sure they weren't? All I asked about was Insell. Massarro would be the only other that made sense, since it was for a college basketball game. I doubt there is a conspiracy theory to hold us down. We seem to do that well enough on our own in the media.

Reactions: MarJac23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT