ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL McDevitt on WGNS

Apparently & as of yet no P4 opponents scheduled for the upcoming year.
That’s annoying. I don’t think it should be loaded with power for schools since we’re not a great program currently, but we should have at least one or two in there

Apparently & as of yet no P4 opponents scheduled for the upcoming year.
We haven't played many since he has been coach. Mostly in the beginning when the schedule was made while Kermit was here. The ones we did play we were embarrassed in, so I can see why he doesn't want to play them.

Then the other flip of the coin is WBB where they are willing to play us due to our performance in those games, and in conference. Respect is there.

This to me shows the MBB P5 schools don't respect us. And why would they right now?

Reactions: MTTim
I would rather us play a home and home with UAB, Belmont or Murray State. Why would a Vandy, who has lost 3 straight to us want to play us again? Unless a Kentucky or a Duke wants to pay us 200k to travel then I wouldn’t even return their call.

We were 288 in the NET last year. We are a bad Q4 game. There’s no value in scheduling a Q4 team unless you just really need a game and can’t get anyone else to fill it.

Edit to add, the average at large team last year lost 0.9 games to Q4 schools. So making a schedule, why play anyone that if you did lose, almost knocked you out of an at large.

When it comes to CNM ever having a win over a power school can someone name one victory? If we include his days at Asheville that's adding up to a healthy coaching career, but I can't recall one single victory over a power school. Closest I remember is the Asheville post season loss to USC when he was head coach there. Anyone?

When it comes to CNM ever having a win over a power school can someone name one victory? If we include his days at Asheville that's adding up to a healthy coaching career, but I can't recall one single victory over a power school. Closest I remember is the Asheville post season loss to USC when he was head coach there. Anyone?

I looked it up. He beat a 15-18 Georgetown and a 19-15 UGA team back in his UNCA days. Those are his signature wins outside of UAB or FAU.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Then the other flip of the coin is WBB where they are willing to play us due to our performance in those games, and in conference. Respect is there.

This to me shows the MBB P5 schools don't respect us. And why would they right now?
Most Power teams are not willing to play the women’s team. Even Purdue/UCLA/Iowa State will all be neutral which suggests a holiday tournament classic to me

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Most Power teams are not willing to play the women’s team. Even Purdue/UCLA/Iowa State will all be neutral which suggests a holiday tournament classic to me
Women suffer from a different problem. We are Q1 on neutral or on the road, but Q2 at home. I’m not sure I want to risk a home and home with a team that will be Q2 at my place and a real chance for a loss.

Neutral makes us a Q1 game, so if you lose, yeah it’s a good loss and you don’t have to explain to home fans why they are losing to a directional school as a P4 school.

Since we accept affiliate programs in Bowling, Baseball, & Beach Volleyball can't our ladies apply to the Big East for women's basketball? They're outgrowing CUSA. And maybe better for the men to apply to ASUN.

Since we accept affiliate programs in Bowling, Baseball, & Beach Volleyball can't our ladies apply to the Big East for women's basketball? They're outgrowing CUSA. And maybe better for the men to apply to ASUN.
Why would the Big East offer a invite to a team from TN? Just would not make much sense for them. Most of the schools also don't have football at the FBS level

ASUN, AAC, Horizon, MAC, MVC or even the Sun Belt would be more realistic and each have at least one program that would provide a legit challenge for MT.

Wasn't being totally serious. Nobody's going anywhere, & when or if we do it would entail all athletic departments simultaneously.

Why would the Big East offer a invite to a team from TN? Just would not make much sense for them. Most of the schools also don't have football at the FBS level

ASUN, AAC, Horizon, MAC, MVC or even the Sun Belt would be more realistic and each have at least one program that would provide a legit challenge for MT.
I will say, Missouri St has a very good WBB program. Liberty had a down year last year but I doubt they will stay like that. They are usually very good.

Reactions: Shayne_Pickering
I will say, Missouri St has a very good WBB program. Liberty had a down year last year but I doubt they will stay like that. They are usually very good.
Very true on Missouri State, they have more postseason success than the rest of the conference does combined.

I don't have a problem with Liberty, they played an extremely tough schedule. My issue is with the rest of the conference. I would love to be able to bring in James Madison at some point, they are killing it right in all the big revenue sports.

The women don't have line up P4 teams to play a tough schedule. FGCU, Princeton, Drake, Toledo, Ball St., UNLV, Gonzaga, CBU, SFA are all teams that would look good on the schedule

Very true on Missouri State, they have more postseason success than the rest of the conference does combined.

I don't have a problem with Liberty, they played an extremely tough schedule. My issue is with the rest of the conference. I would love to be able to bring in James Madison at some point, they are killing it right in all the big revenue sports.

The women don't have line up P4 teams to play a tough schedule. FGCU, Princeton, Drake, Toledo, Ball St., UNLV, Gonzaga, CBU, SFA are all teams that would look good on the schedule
They will play Princeton again this year. I think the want to play P4 teams comes from a place of wanting to host this year in the tourney, which would mean being a top 16 team nationally

True. Don't think Middle will ever get to host, the margin is just too slim from year to year for a mid-major
That’s something Matt brought up on the podcast. Said if they want to accomplish that goal, they can’t have any hiccups like they did with a couple games early on last year. But getting a big win in one or two of those neutral games could go a long way

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
That’s something Matt brought up on the podcast. Said if they want to accomplish that goal, they can’t have any hiccups like they did with a couple games early on last year. But getting a big win in one or two of those neutral games could go a long way
UCLA is the preseason #5 team in America. Iowa St is preseason #10.
Against UCLA I would be hoping for a good competitive game with minimally biased referee's. That would be an upset which would put us in top 15, but unfortunately I think that’s a real long shot. Absolutely loaded with talent.
Against Iowa St I would give us a solid 50/50 chance if on a truly neutral court. A victory here, & against Purdue would give us an excellent starting point to the year.

You need a top 20 NET.

Last year our ladies played 2 Q1 games in the regular season. If you want to host, we need a similar record, but way more Q1&2 games and wins. We only played 6 Q1&2 games combined before the NCAA.

Gonzaga, who is probably the closest to us in terms of hosting and not in a power conference, had a similar record and went 4-2 and 8-1 versus Q1&2 pre NCAAs.

Thats a HUGE difference in schedule difficulty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT