ADVERTISEMENT

Massaro statement

A few things caught my eye when I got that yesterday. Again this morning in email.
Let the comments begin.

"In addition, we are also addressing in the coming months bigger national challenges and issues in athletics, including better mental health awareness and treatment for student athletes; Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) opportunities; navigating the transfer portal, and the always-looming matter of conference realignment.

We want to win every C-USA championship
and graduate every student athlete. Thank you for helping us to strive to meet those ambitions. None of this would be possible without you and your unwavering support."

Well, I’m pretty sure they have already misled considering when they announced this, they stated that they already had the $60+ million to do this facility enhancement. Some of us called BS when they said that then and of course, now it’s clear that it was BS.

Well, I’m pretty sure they have already misled considering when they announced this, they stated that they already had the $60+ million to do this facility enhancement. Some of us called BS when they said that then and of course, now it’s clear that it was BS.
The 66 million was already secured. Build Blue set a goal to raise 20 million and have raised over 18 million. A lot of that money will be going into phase 2 and 3.

The 66 million was already secured. Build Blue set a goal to raise 20 million and have raised over 18 million. A lot of that money will be going into phase 2 and 3.
So you’re saying the cost is more than $66M? That’s not what I’ve heard

A fair statement. And, as @SpaceRaider said, it’s a point of reference for Blue Raider Nation.

Re : Build Blue Now

SAPC is $66 million. Secured. Demo and Construction

The additional $20 million raised will go toward Phase 2

Just re-watched the initial announcement. Going by that, the $66m had been secured and that would cover Phase 1, the SAPC. Then an initial goal of $15m was set for BuildBlueNow and things were going so well (and probably due to higher costs), the raised it to $20m.

The whole thing, all three phases, is said to be a bit over $100m. Of course with the way things have gone it probably will push closer to $120 by the time it is all said and done. So it wouldn't surprise me if part of the raised $20m is added to that $66m for Phase 1.

Some naming rights have already been secured too for the SAPC club level, SAPC lobby, weight room, and Murphy atrium. And going by the way they post on Twitter there are several members of the Sapphire Club which is $25k or more per year for a 5-yr term.

A few things caught my eye when I got that yesterday. Again this morning in email.
Let the comments begin.

"In addition, we are also addressing in the coming months bigger national challenges and issues in athletics, including better mental health awareness and treatment for student athletes; Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) opportunities; navigating the transfer portal, and the always-looming matter of conference realignment.

We want to win every C-USA championship
and graduate every student athlete. Thank you for helping us to strive to meet those ambitions. None of this would be possible without you and your unwavering support."

MT winning every C-USA championship is like Woolco Department Stores saying "We want to be your favorite store" in their television commercials and print advertisement. The problem is that I remember Woolco closing down every United States store in 1983 and in Canada a few years later (Wal-Mart bought some of those stores to become international) because they woefully underperformed Wal-Mart and K-Mart. F.W. Woolworth Co. started Woolco the same year that Sam Walton founded Wal-Mart.

If we're not careful, am afraid we have a Woolco on our hands given the "looming matter of conference realignment". Obviously, multiple football, men's basketball, and baseball outright championships help prevent this and would make MT athletics more desirable in the next round of conference realignment.

Judge what leadership does in 2023-4. Not buying platitudes when business stays as usual. What we're building is barely keeping us relevant. Winning over the Crimson Tide in September would certainly help immensely!

Reactions: ewglenn
MT winning every C-USA championship is like Woolco Department Stores saying "We want to be your favorite store" in their television commercials and print advertisement. The problem is that I remember Woolco closing down every United States store in 1983 and in Canada a few years later (Wal-Mart bought some of those stores to become international) because they woefully underperformed Wal-Mart and K-Mart. F.W. Woolworth Co. started Woolco the same year that Sam Walton founded Wal-Mart.

If we're not careful, am afraid we have a Woolco on our hands given the "looming matter of conference realignment". Obviously, multiple football, men's basketball, and baseball outright championships help prevent this and would make MT athletics more desirable in the next round of conference realignment.

Judge what leadership does in 2023-4. Not buying platitudes when business stays as usual. What we're building is barely keeping us relevant. Winning over the Crimson Tide in September would certainly help immensely!
That's what makes all of this so freaking frustrating. Look at the number of conference champs. After the '21-'22 school year, the 3 schools that left for the SBC (Marshall, S Miss, ODU) had a combined 31. The 6 schools that left for the AAC (UNT, Rice, Char, FAU, UAB, UTSA) had a combined 94.

MT/WKU by themselves had 64. So the two of us had more than 3 now SBC schools and 68% of the amount of 6 now AAC schools.

It isn't like we suck at everything. It's just the sports that drive all of this aren't at all, or haven't been in years, part of that championship list.

Well, if that’s truly the case I will stand corrected. But that would mean they’ve raised almost as much as the University’s entire endowment. So, I guess I will believe when I see if all this is done in the next few years.

Well, if that’s truly the case I will stand corrected. But that would mean they’ve raised almost as much as the University’s entire endowment. So, I guess I will believe when I see if all this is done in the next few years.
I stopped believing anything coming out of the Athletics Dept. regarding fundraising since the days that the McCluney/Goshe tandem was running the BRAA.

I miss Farley, Mewbourne and Marks.

That's what makes all of this so freaking frustrating. Look at the number of conference champs. After the '21-'22 school year, the 3 schools that left for the SBC (Marshall, S Miss, ODU) had a combined 31. The 6 schools that left for the AAC (UNT, Rice, Char, FAU, UAB, UTSA) had a combined 94.

MT/WKU by themselves had 64. So the two of us had more than 3 now SBC schools and 68% of the amount of 6 now AAC schools.

It isn't like we suck at everything. It's just the sports that drive all of this aren't at all, or haven't been in years, part of that championship list.
That's why it's so frustrating that football is so mediocre and unexciting.

There's clearly potential in the athletic department.

Just to provide some clarity, I know some of the 66 million is going to be in the form of bonds. That’s not to take away from the AD’s efforts in a really impressive fundraising campaign but it should be pointed out.

That's why it's so frustrating that football is so mediocre and unexciting.

There's clearly potential in the athletic department.
We’ve had multiple 1 million+ donations in the last two years. It is frustrating that we cannot capitalize on the major sports because the money would start flowing if football had some bigger success.

Reactions: MTFAN61
There is definitely a lot of untapped potential and i do think they are making progress. Had a meeting with Hans and had good conversation about where we go from here. It does take looking in the mirror though. There are three steps to do it, Realizing where you are, where you want to go/be, and then developing a plan to get there. You have to get everyone onboard and row in the same direction.

I’m completely ok with that. Should have been done over a decade ago.
I agree. We've been stuck in this rut where are decent across all sports, but seem to be doing the same thing every year and expecting different results.

Just to provide some clarity, I know some of the 66 million is going to be in the form of bonds. That’s not to take away from the AD’s efforts in a really impressive fundraising campaign but it should be pointed out.
I’m completely ok with that. Should have been done over a decade ago.

Earlier this week I got a text message from a MT fundraiser (who shall remain nameless) inviting me to a former player function. I reminded this individual that I was never a former MTSU player but just a 47-year old MBA grad. Told this person I’d be involved again when there is new blood in the Athletics Dept and Men’s revenue sports. Reply: “I hope I’m still here when you do come back.”
Hard to believe it’s been 18 years ago last month since I walked across the stage in Murphy Center and shook McPhee’s hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Earlier this week I got a text message from a MT fundraiser (who shall remain nameless) inviting me to a former player function. I reminded this individual that I was never a former MTSU player but just a 47-year old MBA grad. Told this person I’d be involved again when here is new blood in the Athletics Dept and Men’s revenue sports. Reply: “I hope I’m still here when you do come back.”
Hard to believe it’s been 18 years ago last month since I walked across the stage in Murphy Center and shook McPhee’s hand.
Shoot. It's been 21 years for me since I shook his hand. That's a long freaking time for a president considering the average is now 6 years.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT