ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall fan here...any suggestions?

Aug 5, 2001
I'll be hitting Murfreesboro about four to five hours before the game. Any suggestions on a nice sports bar/restaurant to take in before the game? Also, are there any places that you suggest my wife and adult daughter take in? I see that there are several civil war related historic sites around. Is there a particular place downtown worth spending a little time?

Thanks for any responses.

The only place close to campus that isn't a dive bar is The Boulevard. That's where I would go if I were you. Everything else is probably a 15 minute drive. Here is the list:

1. Toot's- wing joint. Think Family friendly hooters. Not my favorite but a Murfreesboro original most on here would recommend.
2. The Goat-probably my favorite place in town right now. Close to hotels but not campus.
3. Slick pig- good Q. Great smoked wings. Close to campus.
4. Sam's-prototypical sports bar. Where our coach's show is broadcast from.
5. BJs- a chain but decent food and brews.

If you're interested in civil war sites, Stones River Battlefield is in town and I believe there is also a cool little antique store with some civil war relics for sale on Old Nashville Highway not far from the battlefield. There are also several war related monuments (not just civil war) on the town square which is just a short drive up Main Street from the Boulevard Grill if you end up going there to eat. Welcome to Murfreesboro.

As to your wife and daughter, not sure what interests them, but good retail shopping is available at The Avenue. The town square has some little boutique stores and also some other local lunch spots. The square is a very short drive from campus. The Avenue is a little further from campus but still relatively convenient.

As far as historical sites, Oaklands Mansion on Maney Avenue (off East Main Street)--about one mile from campus has the antebellum/Civil War theme. Our Public Square has the Rutherford County Courthouse which was built in 1859 and still houses some of our county offices. The square has a few nice shops/boutiques to visit. Other notable attractions are the Discovery Center (South East Broad Street/US 41, 5 blocks from the square) and Bradley Academy (Academy Street--four blocks from the square).

Eating establishments (local--not national chains):

1. Toots (NW Broad Street) - A Murfreesboro Original since 1985--has Wings, Burgers, Frog Legs. Similar to Hooters in style, but family friendly. It's one of my faves.
2. Slick Pig - 1920 East Main (3 blocks SE of campus): Delicious BBQ
3. Sir Pizza - same block as Slick Pig: Unique cut of pizza; some love it...others not so much. Oldest Murfreesboro Pizza Restaurant (50 years).
4. Goat - Off Medical Center Parkway (Adwell Street), near Thompson Lane. Close to the hotels and the Avenue shopping district -(Belk, Gap, Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ulta, Alumni Hall Sports) Exit 76 off I-24. Wide variety of food.
5. Demos Restaurant - NW Broad Street: Known for spaghetti and NY Strip steaks. Inexpensive lunch specials and excellent food.
6. Sams - Sports Bar/ At Stones River Mall (Dillards, JC Penney, Sears): Fair to good. Our coaches show is broadcast from there.
7. The Alley on Main - 223 West Main. Steaks/Seafood/Pasta/wine: Has a good menu with a nice upscale feel at a friendly price. Fine quality food. Closed Sundays.
8. Marinas on the Square - Good Italian food (North Maple side of square at College Street).
9. B. McNeels - North Church Street, 1 block from Square - (across from Franklin Synergy Bank). Southern flavored menu with a trendy look and atmosphere.
10. La Siesta Mexican Restaurant - Inexpensive and close to campus. Food quality is about average, but can walk from stadium. Greenland Drive at Middle Tennessee Blvd.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT