ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Lunardi

A survey of all the bracketologists on Twitter right now is interesting. I’d say the “experts” are about 50/50 on us sneaking in.

Going to be a sweat on Sunday, for sure.

No, no, no. Please. Just stop.

That’s a pretty accurate summary of what folks are thinking in response to pretty much everything you post.

You can swoop in here and proclaim how much we suck, you can swear you are Basketball Nostradamus, you can believe whatever you want to believe.

I’d say history, metrics, miscellaneous factors give us about a 1-in-3 chance of getting in. Now that’s just my opinion; unlike you, I don’t pretend to possess total omniscience. But I would suggest we have a puncher’s chance. And if you, as a “fan,” would prefer we don’t get a bid because you are “embarrassed” by our two-game losing streak, then you can kick rocks.

I just don't see it. We have no wins that will impress anybody, despite having 2 quadrant 1 wins @ Murray and @ WKU. They are not names that will wow the committee.

Our losses are bad. Belmont isn't what they usually are, and that was a home loss, and we finished the season with back to back quadrant 3 and quadrant 4 losses to two terrible teams. Losing to Miami and USC is respectable but they're certainly not world-beaters. The committee is going to want to know how we couldn't win at least 1 of those 2 games. Also, how you finish the season matters and couldn't have hand-selected a worse way to end the year.

Sure, if the tournament ended TODAY, we MIGHT have a chance. But it doesn't work that way. There is still plenty of opportunity for teams to steal bids and play their way into the tournament, which will happen. There's truly only 2-3 slots up for grabs and still multiple teams playing for them and multiple bids to potentially be stolen, and that always happens. Nevada likely loses to SDSU tonight, there's another spot gone. Still plenty of opportunity for Rhode Island to lose and give away another bid.

And don't forget our very own assistant coach said we are realistically playing in the NIT after the USM loss.....

Last edited:
I don’t disagree with most of this. I would agree it’s more likely than not we get left out, but the committee can be hard to predict (remember our bid in 2013 that came out of nowhere?)

We lack a “name” win, without question. But our Q1 record, with limited opportunities, compares favorably with Louisville, OK St, etc. the big things we have going for us are our Top 10 NCSOS, which the committee tends to reward; our 12 road wins, which is not a real metric but has been discussed as nauseum by the talking heads; and our reputation over the last couple of years. The human element absolutely plays a role in that room, and for once it might actually work in our favor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT