ADVERTISEMENT

Kennesaw State to CUSA 2024?

The histrionics are hilarious...

You'd rather be a southern outlier playing directional Michigans, Ball State etc. because you don't like the rumors that CUSA might be adding Kennesaw State? CUSA below the SWAC? Name recognition for women's basketball?

We've shared a conference with FIU and ULM and Idaho who's no longer even FBS. Does Kennesaw State sound any "less FBS" than Coastal Carolina? Coastal was small budget, small stadium, came out of basically nowhere, went to the Sun Belt at a time in which the Sun Belt was still regarded as the worst FBS conference and has been nationally ranked already.

I have no idea what KSU might be as a FBS program and neither do any of y'all, but all the hand wringing and pearl clutching over where CUSA stacks up in an increasingly irrelevant G5, when we are the definition of a mediocre and forgettable football program is hilarious.

I genuinely don't know what any of you believe we're going to get out of the MAC that we can't get out of CUSA... snow?

Reactions: Hop45 and crposton

You'd rather be a southern outlier playing directional Michigans, Ball State etc. because you don't like the rumors that CUSA might be adding Kennesaw State? CUSA below the SWAC? Name recognition for women's basketball?

We've shared a conference with FIU and ULM and Idaho who's no longer even FBS. Does Kennesaw State sound any "less FBS" than Coastal Carolina? Coastal was small budget, small stadium, came out of basically nowhere, went to the Sun Belt at a time in which the Sun Belt was still regarded as the worst FBS conference and has been nationally ranked already.

I have no idea what KSU might be as a FBS program and neither do any of y'all, but all the hand wringing and pearl clutching over where CUSA stacks up in an increasingly irrelevant G5, when we are the definition of a mediocre and forgettable football program is hilarious.

I genuinely don't know what any of you believe we're going to get out of the MAC that we can't get out of CUSA... snow?

All good points. I've said before though my thoughts are purely selfish. I live in Southern West Virginia. Very few, unless they are a Marshall fan, know who MT is. I want that to change so I want to be in a conference people around here know. With schools they know.

Liberty, ECU, App State, Marshall, JMU, and the like. Schools in VA and NC.

As I've said, it is 10000% selfish on my part and most likely not what is best for the school long term, but it still is what I want.

And on the selfish front, while I of course pay attention to basketball and pull for us, football is my sport and what I spend money on. It's really all I care about. Again, being selfish.

No histrionics. The fact is, we were positioned better to be competitive in the MAC than in CUSA. Additionally, say what you will about the MAC, it has found a successful, stable niche with a broadcast partner that works for it. It's not the Big 10, it isn't trying to be.

If we were going to run a competitive program that strives to win at the highest level and grow it's program - then CUSA is fine. But then again, if that were the case, I believe we'd be in the Sunbelt right now.

It all comes down to my belief that beating directional Michigan and Toledo and winning the MAC is better, IMHO, than getting smoked by Liberty and being fodder for move up teams with greater aspirations than we have.

Is it just me or is this like a weird parody of the border crisis? Who do we feel can cross border & who can't. Maybe we can all agree on one thing. No transitioning fbs universities from Cuba!! 😂 Sorry for the overtones, just a little levity. No more political references, promise

Is it just me or is this like a weird parody of the border crisis? Who do we feel can cross border & who can't. Maybe we can all agree on one thing. No transitioning fbs universities from Cuba!! 😂 Sorry for the overtones, just a little levity. No more political references, promise

Yeah, why not compare conference realignment to people literally dying while immigrating...

****ing christ...

No histrionics. The fact is, we were positioned better to be competitive in the MAC than in CUSA. Additionally, say what you will about the MAC, it has found a successful, stable niche with a broadcast partner that works for it. It's not the Big 10, it isn't trying to be.

If we were going to run a competitive program that strives to win at the highest level and grow it's program - then CUSA is fine. But then again, if that were the case, I believe we'd be in the Sunbelt right now.

It all comes down to my belief that beating directional Michigan and Toledo and winning the MAC is better, IMHO, than getting smoked by Liberty and being fodder for move up teams with greater aspirations than we have.

By that logic, let's drop to FCS, we could be competitive and find a better geographic fit...

I say we go full bore “academic” schollies, move to D-3 with the likes of Rhodes, Birmingham Southern, Millsaps. Kill the Beer Garden, install a Wine and Cheese Bar and serve only various charcuteries instead of Blue Raider Brats and popcorn.
No night games.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
All good points. I've said before though my thoughts are purely selfish. I live in Southern West Virginia. Very few, unless they are a Marshall fan, know who MT is. I want that to change so I want to be in a conference people around here know. With schools they know.

Liberty, ECU, App State, Marshall, JMU, and the like. Schools in VA and NC.

As I've said, it is 10000% selfish on my part and most likely not what is best for the school long term, but it still is what I want.

And on the selfish front, while I of course pay attention to basketball and pull for us, football is my sport and what I spend money on. It's really all I care about. Again, being selfish.
By my count you listed three Sun Belt schools, one AAC member and an inbound CUSA member...

And you want to join the MAC? To play schools in NC and VA?

By that logic, let's drop to FCS, we could be competitive and find a better geographic fit...

Or, we could have joined an FBS conference more in tune with our aspirations.

Why does geographic fit matter? No one is traveling to the games anyway. All the recruiting pipelines we've built to Georgia and Florida don't matter because few of the kids we're recruiting are FBS players. And from a sheer mileage standpoint (and perhaps more importantly, hub to hub travel), the MAC offers better travel.

By my count you listed three Sun Belt schools, one AAC member and an inbound CUSA member...

And you want to join the MAC? To play schools in NC and VA?

SBC is #1 choice. In an earlier post I mentioned SBC, AAC, MAC as order of choices. All above CUSA.

SBC is #1 choice. In an earlier post I mentioned SBC, AAC, MAC as order of choices. All above CUSA.
I don't think you'll find a single Blue Raider that wouldn't be thrilled to join the SBC or AAC, but I see absolutely zero appeal to the MAC even from your perspective geographically.

Or, we could have joined an FBS conference more in tune with our aspirations.

Why does geographic fit matter? No one is traveling to the games anyway. All the recruiting pipelines we've built to Georgia and Florida don't matter because few of the kids we're recruiting are FBS players. And from a sheer mileage standpoint (and perhaps more importantly, hub to hub travel), the MAC offers better travel.
If we aren't recruiting FBS players, all the more reason to drop down.

I have zero interest in playing games in the midwest, and when there was excitement around this program we did travel reasonably well. Moving to the MAC would do nothing to reinvigorate the fanbase, at least we have some familiarity and peers in CUSA, a move to the MAC would feel like a move for the sake of moving.

Coach .500 would be as competitive in FCS as he is now.

Nothing will change until the parasites are removed from the University.
I do not disagree, I also don't see how that changes things or wouldn't apply just as much to moving to the MAC to be "more competitive".

at least we have some familiarity and peers in CUSA,
Who's left that we have this familiarity? La Tech, UTEP and FIU are the only ones left.
If we aren't recruiting FBS players, all the more reason to drop down.
I'm not setting the recruiting board. I can only tell you that the team that we see on Saturday's does not have competitive talent for CUSA, and almost 2 decades of evidence makes it clear that we do not recruit those types of players.
Moving to the MAC would do nothing to reinvigorate the fanbase, at least we have some familiarity and peers in CUSA, a move to the MAC would feel like a move for the sake of moving.

I actually think it would. Change for change's sake at this point is something interesting. Especially if we move into the MAC and are somewhat successful. It's also likely that we'd see some traveling MAC fans.

Perhaps most importantly, It also would break the perception that we were left behind with the dregs.

It's moot anyway, since we turned it down. I still think it would have been a good idea.

It does make for interesting fan discussion, but as long as there is a good relationship between commissioner & Dr McPhee, which there apparently is, I don't see any changes for some time.

The only advantage, I see, of joining the MAC is that their games are on a real television network. We get games on Stadium, Facebook Live or the Circle K channel. However, the next round of TV contracts could leave the MAC out just like CUSA has been left out.

#embracethehump

It does make for interesting fan discussion, but as long as there is a good relationship between commissioner & Dr McPhee, which there apparently is, I don't see any changes for some time.
Incompetent mediocrities aka the 3Ms we are cursed with.

The only advantage, I see, of joining the MAC is that their games are on a real television network. We get games on Stadium, Facebook Live or the Circle K channel. However, the next round of TV contracts could leave the MAC out just like CUSA has been left out.

#embracethehump
Very true point. I will say I think as long as the MAC is willing to do weeknight games, they are safe.

I am scared for CUSA's new deal. And this has nothing to do with Kennesaw or anything. Simply the fact of business that we have so few TV drawing schools. Losing Marshall hurt and losing recently ranked UTSA will hurt. It will take some creativeness and I'm not talking about Facebook.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
My field of F's, you know, for MT and Stock is empty, barren... We all knew that turd would be incapable of building off the Miami win.

Now thy selling that stupid a$$ shirt after getting their behind stomped in Birmingham.

Our university is so screwed...

Incarnate Word could be a nice .new Texas connection with North Texas & UTSA moving on. Moved to division 1 in 2013. 5 - 1 record with victory this year over the Nevada Wolfpack. Stadium very similar to Kennesaw

I am not a huge fan of the new additions, but I like the recruiting footprint of Texas and Georgia over Ohio and Michigan.

Footprint is still huge. Lynchburg to Las Cruces is 1800 miles. Big as B12 now. Morgantown to Provo is 1900.

If they went 12 schools though and added Missouri State and another west, it actually would make for nice divisions, for scheduling anyway. Still think top two teams should play chanp game period.

Rutgers to USC is just under 3,000 miles

A G5 shouldn't be that big but probably will wind up sometime. We just can't afford the travel for non-revenue sports like the bigger schools can. Especially with $200k a year TV deal.

Even for P5 though it is ridiculous. The map for the new B1G is laughable. And I thought WVU was on an island in the B12.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT