ADVERTISEMENT

Kennesaw State to CUSA 2024?

crappy move, they don't bring anything to the table. they didn't get to pad their schedule with D2 and NAIA opponents and haven't performed well.

I can't believe we are being lumped in. I mean yes SBC has brought up new schools (in recent years...not back at our time) but look what JMU and App State have done and did before

I absolutely could be wrong but I don't see Kennesaw or SHU or JSU competing for a conf champ in football, which is my #1 sport and what drives all this.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
They're more likely to win a CUSA football championship than the Blue Raiders as long as we have Stock.
Here is another issue, they don't fund 64 ships now, they use the hope to offset all cost, now they have to start funding 85 full ships and add 25 more women's ships as well. I just don't see them being successful.

A few stats:
City population: approx 34,000
Undergrad population: approx 35,000. 3rd largest university in GA.
Basketball arena capacity: 4,500
Football stadium capacity: 8,300

Wow that’s embarrassing. We should have gone to the MAC. That’s the best we can ever hope for. CUSA is going to be a complete joke if Kennesaw State gets in.

Call the MAC now if there is no AAC hope.

Very bad. Should have been Missouri State or nobody.

Wow that’s embarrassing. We should have gone to the MAC. That’s the best we can ever hope for. CUSA is going to be a complete joke if Kennesaw State gets in.

Call the MAC now if there is no AAC hope.

Shoot. I'd be happy sucking face to get back in the SBC. I wouldn't complain about that at all and would shake CM's hand over it.

If stadium only holds 8K they will have to do some major renovations or build another.

I don’t like this addition at all. The others made sense. Liberty is rich with great football and basketball and was an excellent decision. I was very surprised they wanted to join and suspect they will leave first chance they get. NMSU has a terrific top shelf mid major basketball program and is one of the premier mid major programs in the country, and SHSU could be the next App St in football as they have dominated the FCS. Jacksonville state was a little iffy but they are generally OK in the main sports. These 4 were honestly solid choices if you can stomach (and afford) the footprint it brings.

kennesseesaw state makes no sense to me. Yes decent football but not anywhere near SHSU success. To my knowledge, a mediocre basketball program at best. They will be slaughtered by current and future CUSA members in the major sports for the foreseeable future.

Missouri State made all the sense in the world. Their basketball program is strong and Bobby Peterino has them playing good football right now. Good sized university as well. Not the best footprint but not the worst either.

big head scratching move here by Judy…..

Last edited:
According to wiki the multipurpose stadium opened May 2010, also presently used for soccer & lacrosse. Schematics looks very similar to the Boro's newly scheduled Legacy Park sports outdoor soccer stadium set to open around 2024. Ps- mascot is Scrappy the Owl

Basketball is absolutely horrible, only sports they are good in baseball and softball. Football has a heavily padded win total, they have played D2 and NAIA schools in the OOC. This year they have 1 win.
If stadium only holds 8K they will have to do some major renovations or build another.

I don’t like this addition at all. The others made sense. Liberty is rich with great football and basketball and was an excellent decision. I was very surprised they wanted to join and suspect they will leave first chance they get. NMSU has a terrific top shelf mid major basketball program and is one of the premier mid major programs in the country, and SHSU could be the next App St in football as they have dominated the FCS. Jacksonville state was a little iffy but they are generally OK in the main sports. These 4 were honestly solid choices if you can stomach (and afford) the footprint it brings.

kennesseesaw state makes no sense to me. Yes decent football but not anywhere near SHSU success. To my knowledge, a mediocre basketball program at best. They will be slaughtered by current and future CUSA members in the major sports for the foreseeable future.

Missouri State made all the sense in the world. Their basketball program is strong and Bobby Peterino has them playing good football right now. Good sized university as well. Not the best footprint but not the worst either.

big head scratching move here by Judy….

Just to provide some clarity for those not familiar with KSU. They have plans for a 30k seat stadium on some property owned by the university already. They’ve been extremely successful to start their football program. Their baseball is good, basketball is terrible (nice facility though), a lot of upside in a major metro with a young fan base. I have a feeling this decision was made with our upcoming media deal coming. Honestly I think they will be more successful than GAST. I’d prefer to stay at 9 but I don’t think it’s a terrible add just too early to be super thrilled.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
YAWYAW. We're a conference of anonymous junior college directional states and online diploma mills.

Let's get to 14 with Education Connection, Trump University, Bishop Sycamore, and who gives a flip.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I understand WHY KSU would be the addition. Appeal of the ATL market, GA recruiting, some success on the field, but …

I’m not a HUGE fan of the move. All things equal AND all programs interested in making the jump, I’m more interested in SFA, Mizzou State, or EKU for a couple of reasons :

1) Facilities are closer to FBS level or
2) Athletic success or
3) Travel

I’m not privy to every piece of info exchanged re: realignment. Was Mizzou State interested? Does SFA have the support to make the jump (they are - or were - looking for a new president & potentially looking at joining a university system)?

I understand WHY KSU would be the addition. Appeal of the ATL market, GA recruiting, some success on the field, but …

I’m not a HUGE fan of the move. All things equal AND all programs interested in making the jump, I’m more interested in SFA, Mizzou State, or EKU for a couple of reasons :

1) Facilities are closer to FBS level or
2) Athletic success or
3) Travel

I’m not privy to every piece of info exchanged re: realignment. Was Mizzou State interested? Does SFA have the support to make the jump (they are - or were - looking for a new president & potentially looking at joining a university system)?
I would agree that I would have preferred Missouri State. They do have plans to update the football stadium and baseball field. I think they will be a good addition but I worry about if the ATL metro can support 3 FBS programs. I do think KSU will surpass GAST pretty quickly in football.

I get the Atlanta aspect, but for me it's the name. The name Kennesaw State just doesn't ring fbs endorsement. As much as many of us would prefer a name change to University of Middle Tennesse, MTSU still has better game day resonance than say Western Kentucky vs Murfreesboro State University. Yes a number of schools go by city name, ie Marshall, Murray, Auburn. Those are short & sweet. Others attach the state sponsored moniker to their city, UAB, UTEP, or UCLA. Once again short & sweet. Some may criticise directional university names, but for some cities Murfreesboro & Kennesaw included, the university's name aesthetic plays a role in fbs sports. And our city names aint got it. As bias as it may sound give me EKU or Missouri State all day, if not for just the name impact

YAWYAW. We're a conference of anonymous junior college directional states and online diploma mills.

Let's get to 14 with Education Connection, Trump University, Bishop Sycamore, and who gives a flip.
Not every university can be as prestigious as Middle Tennessee State. I can’t believe anyone would want to be in a conference with directional state schools.

Not every university can be as prestigious as Middle Tennessee State. I can’t believe anyone would want to be in a conference with directional state schools.
At least people can figure out where Middle Tennessee is.

The Q-rating of being in a conference with Sam Houston, the third most important Jacksonville in America, Liberty, and now something called Kennesaw is going to be a punch line about the wrongs of a bloated FBS.

Not a good look at all for the conference. You know what though...I'm with Dave. I don't give a 💩

Judy has already demonstrated her inability to lead. How she still maintains a commissioner position is beyond me.

At least people can figure out where Middle Tennessee is.

The Q-rating of being in a conference with Sam Houston, the third most important Jacksonville in America, Liberty, and now something called Kennesaw is going to be a punch line about the wrongs of a bloated FBS.
The only reason people would know where we are is it is in the name. How you view those schools is how many view us. All are wrong. I don’t love this, but I am also not going to pretend we are so much better.

Judy has already demonstrated her inability to lead. How she still maintains a commissioner position is beyond me.
Judy is leading a league full of subversive school presidents, who are no better than Führer 7 wood

True, maybe Middle Tenn is not "so much better", but who knows, victories over Michigan, Tennessee, Vandy, Michigan State, & South Carolina amongst others thru the years in men's basketball might say we have a little bit of a name? And countless power 5 victories in women's basketball might mean we have a little national regard in that area as well. Anyway, when name change request came up I heard UMT, UMT constantly. Never heard anyone shouting for Murfreesboro State or Stones River State. Why?? Perception does matter & it didn't have the similar distinction of other division 1 programs. Not saying we're "much" better than Kennesaw as a university. But I am saying that when one hears the name Kennesaw the association is more with ASUN, OVC, or Big South. I appreciate KSU desiring to raise their brand, but does that make it ok for MT, WKU, or UTEP have to lower their own brand in the publics eye? Maybe it comes across as arrogance, but after some major victories thru the years is it not ok to have just a little when it comes to our own conferences public perception?

The only reason people would know where we are is it is in the name.
Yes, that’s how it works.

And while I’m not sure were any better (in fact, if I’m the AD at one of these move up schools, I’m calling in all favors at CUSA’s scheduling office to get MT for game 1), there is something to be said for being here first, and at least having 2 decades of history.

Reactions: MTFAN61
I can’t believe people (including our university leadership) still think we’re better off in the Franken-conference of CUSA versus the MAC. Then again, when have they ever made choices that end up panning out for our athletic affiliation? To me the only options we should be seriously pushing for should be 1) getting back to the Sun Belt or 2) going to the MAC. The AAC isn’t happening as long as Memphis is in there and CUSA is going to be the worst of the worst, if it’s not already

I can’t believe people (including our university leadership) still think we’re better off in the Franken-conference of CUSA versus the MAC. Then again, when have they ever made choices that end up panning out for our athletic affiliation? To me the only options we should be seriously pushing for should be 1) getting back to the Sun Belt or 2) going to the MAC. The AAC isn’t happening as long as Memphis is in there and CUSA is going to be the worst of the worst, if it’s not already

I'd prefer the MAC. That's a conference even our below-mediocre coaches can win.

But that ship has sailed.

If I knew that those in charge wanted us to be a top performer, I would balk at another potential MAC invite. But since our ceiling is .500, that would be a perfect fit for us.
I'd prefer the MAC. That's a conference even our below-mediocre coaches can win.

But that ship has sailed.

If I knew that those in charge wanted us to be a top performer, I would balk at another potential MAC invite. But since our ceiling is .500, that would be a perfect fit for us.

That was my thoughts as well. Honestly, I think even we could build a winning program in the MAC. We'd have the clear best recruiting territory, one of the highest budgets, and even our facilities wouldn't be a hinderance compared with Eastern Michigan and Ball State.

Yes, it's a cripple fight. And queue the "rabble rabble rabble why bother if we're not going to compete" tantrum that a couple of posters always throw out when we discuss this.

But like it or not, their not closing up shop and their not going to decide to compete to the utmost all of a sudden, so i'd much rather beat Buffalo on MAC-tion than watch what happened the last 2 weeks.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
The SBC is #1 in my book. Then AAC (and I agree on the Memphis block). Then MAC. Then like way under the rocks, under the SWAC (Jackson State would kill us), is CUSA.

That is exactly how I see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT