ADVERTISEMENT

Job Providers Kids

BlueRaiderFan

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2003
Have been getting advantages all along...

The Rich Have Bought Their Way Into Elite Colleges for Decades

AP_19045457688218-850x596.jpg

White House senior adviser Jared Kushner's admission to Harvard has long been a subject of controversy. (Michael Sohn /AP)
This story was co-published with The Washington Post.

My 2006 book, “The Price of Admission: How America’s Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges — and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates,” was intended as a work of investigative journalism.

But many of its more affluent readers embraced it as a “how to” guide. For years afterward, they inundated me with questions like, “How much do I have to donate to get my son (or daughter) into Harvard (or Yale, or Stanford)?” Some even offered me significant sums, which I declined, to serve as an admissions consultant.

They may have been motivated by a tale I told in the book about a youth whose admission to Harvard appears to have been cemented by a $2.5 million pledge from his wealthy developer father. The then-obscure Harvardian would later vault to prominence in public life; his name was Jared Kushner.

Those requests from

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-rich-have-bought-their-way-into-elite-colleges-for-decades/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT