ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Incoming transfer

Good news: he led Missouri State in PPG per 40 minutes.
Bad news: He had 3 assists in 359 minutes.

I don’t get signing a grad transfer guard. We have plenty of guards. We need a proven post or PF.

dnj excerpt:

Scurry was one of MSU’s most efficient players while he was on the floor last season. He averaged 17.1 minutes in 21 games, and averaged 8.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 0.9 blocks. He shot 50.3 percent from the field.

Playing behind NBA prospect Alize Johnson, Scurry started only two games.

His final game of the season came on Jan. 20. Three days later, MSU announced that Scurry — along with teammate Abdul Fofana — developed severe blisters on their feet during a whole-body cryotherapy treatment. The incident led to an administrative investigation that is still ongoing, an Missouri State spokesman told the Springfield News-Leader on April 9.

Scurry missed the team’s final 12 games, a span in which it went 3-9. With Scurry in the rotation, MSU had started the season 15-6.

MTSU is optimistic because of Scurry’s circumstances that he will not have to be forced to sit out a year, per NCAA transfer rules. The Blue Raiders recently granted the releases of all three members of its 2018 signing class, freeing up three scholarships.

The Atlanta native has a year left of eligibility.

dnj excerpt:

Scurry was one of MSU’s most efficient players while he was on the floor last season. He averaged 17.1 minutes in 21 games, and averaged 8.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 0.9 blocks. He shot 50.3 percent from the field.

Playing behind NBA prospect Alize Johnson, Scurry started only two games.

His final game of the season came on Jan. 20. Three days later, MSU announced that Scurry — along with teammate Abdul Fofana — developed severe blisters on their feet during a whole-body cryotherapy treatment. The incident led to an administrative investigation that is still ongoing, an Missouri State spokesman told the Springfield News-Leader on April 9.

Scurry missed the team’s final 12 games, a span in which it went 3-9. With Scurry in the rotation, MSU had started the season 15-6.

MTSU is optimistic because of Scurry’s circumstances that he will not have to be forced to sit out a year, per NCAA transfer rules. The Blue Raiders recently granted the releases of all three members of its 2018 signing class, freeing up three scholarships.

The Atlanta native has a year left of eligibility.

If the coaching staff is leaving it up to the NCAA for this kid to play, then we may as well prepare for him to be sitting out.

If the coaching staff is leaving it up to the NCAA for this kid to play, then we may as well prepare for him to be sitting out.

Kinda have to leave it up to the NCAA to make the decision... coaching staff can only document medical situation/lobby so far..

I think this article from 2016 has a few interesting tidbits... I wonder if Kermit told Nick about Scurry?

Family atmosphere leads Reggie Scurry to join Missouri State

excerpt:

“Defensively, I’m like the Energizer bunny,” Scurry said. “I love playing defense.

“I love to run and jump. Anything that coach wants me to do, I’ll do it.”

Scurry participated in the Jerry Mullen Top 100 Camp in Kansas City over the summer and chose Missouri State over offers from North Dakota State, Little Rock, Middle Tennessee, East Tennessee State, Long Island, Mercer, Greensboro and Old Dominion.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I think this article from 2016 has a few interesting tidbits... I wonder if Kermit told Nick about Scurry? ...

New assistant was familiar with him from high school... per dnj article

Scurry, who visited MTSU this weekend, was one of Missouri State's most efficient players while he was on the floor last season. In 21 games, he shot 50.3 percent from the field and averaged 17.1 minutes, 8.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 0.9 blocks.

Scurry's primary recruiter was assistant Andre Morgan, who was recently hired from UNC-Greensboro.

"He had actually been recruiting me since I had been out of high school," Scurry said. "Our relationship has already been in the making. He really made it easy for me to come on campus and enjoy the tour."

So did McDevitt.

"I feel like me and him connected a lot on the visit," Scurry said of the recently hired MTSU coach. "He was with me almost the entire time. He really made me feel comfortable and explained to me how I’d fit in the program.

"He was telling me I could be a great pick-and-roll, pick-and-pop player in their system."

Reactions: MTLynn
All things considered, it's not bad. He will have to play the 3 or 4 position though as we are fine at guard and he only has a year left.

This is a bad get if he has to sit out a year but if it's just a 1 year transfer deal and he plays, then it's a good band-aid for next season. Obviously, it does nothing to address the long-term or build the program, but at least it appears CNM wants to win now instead of go into full rebuilding mode (Though he may not have had a choice since little to no quality high school players will sign with us at this time).

Starting to wonder if all 3 players he signs will be transfers.......

8 pts and 5 boards for 17 mins a game is pretty productive. MSU was 15-6 with him in the lineup and had a losing record without him.

I think he has potential if he is healed up.

Good pickup. He can help team right away.
Sounds like a terrible accident at MSU. What an awful way to lose part of a season.

"He can help team right away."

You are aware that it's highly possible that he will have to sit out a year and if so we tie up a scholarship for two years to get one.

Could be wrong but don’t think it works like that. If you count Antonio Green, Middle had 14 scholarships last year (Sims Dixon Potts Johnson Simmons Simpson Szmidt Green King Hawthorne Walters Gamble Thomas Massenberg)

You are aware that it's highly possible that he will have to sit out a year and if so we tie up a scholarship for two years to get one.

Sims was a walk-on last year with the understanding that he would be placed on scholarship this year. We were at the NCAA men's BkB limit of 13 when transfer Green and red-shirt Masserburg were counted.

Reactions: OliverLBaltz

Misunderstanding on my part. I assumed, incorrectly, he was a Grad Transfer.

He played in 21 games last season so medical redshirt doesn't seem to be option. I also don't see how he becomes eligible immediately under current NCAA rules.

I'm guessing that because he was injured by the school he will get a waiver from the NCAA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT