ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL in the news

Why does a student on an athletic scholarship even have a pet? As if they don't have enough other responsibilities.

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

dnj:

MT football players suspended, to work with PAWS

excerpt:

...“The actions captured on this video are obviously disturbing," MTSU athletics director Chris Massaro said in a statement. "We welcome the inquiry by the Rutherford County Pet Adoption and Welfare Services.

"We have high expectations of conduct of our student-athletes. Coach (Rick) Stockstill has suspended these players until the inquiry is complete and they will perform community service to the benefit of local animal welfare efforts.”

According to a Murfreesboro Police report from April 7, a concerned citizen reached out to detectives April 6 after seeing a Snapchat video of alleged animal cruelty.....

To be fair, Akins never touched the dog. You would think one would know better though. Wish I could see the video. There are wildly varying degrees of "spanking" an animal.

The only thing that could be worse is for United Airlines to get naming rights to Floyd stadium.

They need to be removed from the team.

Yes sir!! I wouldn't put it past us to see United Airlines on our beloved stadium, provided if they flashed enough $$$ to our Athletic Department. Let's see, we'd probably court other fine companies like WorldCom, Enron, HHGregg, or Arthur Andersen if the same financial pretenses presented itself. Hey while we're at it, why not let Radio Shack install our new video and ribbon boards? After all if we got questions, they have answers...or so they claimed in their heyday. About par for us to do two steps forward and two steps back!

This type of news is upsetting. Just plain irresponsible and cruel on the players part...agree they have to be removed from the team for actions like this. It's more than a simple accountability lesson at this point.

From a perception perspective, there is about no worse thing you can do here in America today than to mistreat or abuse puppies. For perception and public relations, it's about hitting rock bottom.

I was also pretty concerned to read of the litany of other questionable behaviors. I get the whole innocent until proven guilty thing. The point is all of this info starts to call into question, in my opinion, the belief that coach stock at least runs a taut ship over there with the football team.

I'm OK with getting rid of the bum linebacker but we need Akins badly for 2017. We cannot afford to lose any OL or DL. Akins didn't strike the dog so he technically did nothing wrong, however; he's clearly lacking some brain cells by posting that video to social media.

I'm OK with getting rid of the bum linebacker but we need Akins badly for 2017. We cannot afford to lose any OL or DL. Akins didn't strike the dog so he technically did nothing wrong, however; he's clearly lacking some brain cells by posting that video to social media.

If it was just posting the video, a suspension and community service might be okay, but Akins has already shown extremely poor judgement at least once that we know of, and appears not to have learned anything. And since he appears to be a repeat offender on the poor judgement front, we don't need to wait to see what the next dumbass crap he does to bring headlines down on the football program and university. He needs to go as well.

These guys are over 18 years of age. They are men, they should start acting like men.

Reactions: subkyle and MTTim
If they keep them on, I bet Brady will talk with them and teach them what he's learned about life. I think the one who hit the dog will be gone. Akins might get another shot since he didn't actually hit the dog. But this would be his second strike. Sheesh.

My question is why do these people not only do these stupid things but then they also film this stuff and post it on the web? So stupid. Too many head injuries apparently.

I also look at it this way. Cut em now and we can still go after some decent Juco's to get in for the summer. You know Shafer has connections to some kids who are still unsigned and would love a shot to play ball right now. Plenty of unsigned 3 stars still available from what I'm seeing.

If it were me, I'd cut bait and go get 2 DL's. At DT and a DE. We need the numbers.

I also look at it this way. Cut em now and we can still go after some decent Juco's to get in for the summer. You know Shafer has connections to some kids who are still unsigned and would love a shot to play ball right now. Plenty of unsigned 3 stars still available from what I'm seeing.

If it were me, I'd cut bait and go get 2 DL's. At DT and a DE. We need the numbers.
Who's gonna go recruit them? Tommy West?

Is this animal thing being blown way out of portion? Yes, it was a bone head move, but geez if it being picked up in the UK, it seems over the top.

If they had someone on the radar to bring in I'm sure they would have cut him and done so. Almost all of those unsigned 3 star's you're seeing didn't qualify

Could Akins do something here about wrongful termination of scholarship or something? Legally speaking, he did nothing wrong. This is 100% on the guy doing the hitting.

Stock obviously caved to all this media attention. Nothing in the story changed. I'm pretty pissed about losing Akins. As dumb as he is, we needed him on the DL. He was likely going to start for us and was a great run stopper. I'm revising my predictions to 7 wins this year instead of 8.

I mean how scared is our school? They've already deleted their profiles off GoBlueRaiders.com

Pathetic. I F'ing hate PETA and all those loser @$$ SJW's out there. I'm not for animal abuse obviously, but this is F'ing ridiculous. What he did to that puppy was no different than the spankings I got all the time growing up. Sad pathetic world we live in

I saw the video. Was it the worst thing in the world? No.

However, this is a time where everything is judged if you put it out there. These guys did and paid the price.

I love the personal responsibility angle here.

Reactions: MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT