ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL If you could schedule a home and home?

We've already got one coming with Marshall.
Would love WVU, but that'll never happen.

I say App State or Boise.

Agree with the names mentioned above, but outside of Appalachian St or Boise St. I have no specific ideal team or teams.
To garner local interest I would continue in the same vein of seeking out lower to mid-tier P4 teams. We were able to do that with Georgia Tech, Duke, & Virginia amongst a couple others. There are plenty others out there. Teams such as Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Wake Forrest, & Kansas for example.
These are not schools such as Alabama or Ohio St, but the opportunity to see a G5 beat any P4 team at home would garner more interest than a home & home with 90% of the other G5's.

Would want something scenic and a cool town to explore personally. Also as someone from Chattanooga, one with UTC would be cool. Very good FCS program that accomplishes both listed goals too

We should not do a home and home with an fcs team
Chattanooga is an easy 90 minute drive from the 'Boro. I would say no to a traditional home & home, but I wouldn't be opposed to a 2 for 1 if it could be scheduled in the 1st 3 years while we're still developing under CDM.
Hopefully by year 3-4 our quality of recruiting & play will have elevated itself to the point that we can get some quality home & homes against some good name competition.

Chattanooga is an easy 90 minute drive from the 'Boro. I would say no to a traditional home & home, but I wouldn't be opposed to a 2 for 1 if it could be scheduled in the 1st 3 years while we're still developing under CDM.
Hopefully by year 3-4 our quality of recruiting & play will have elevated itself to the point that we can get some quality home & homes against some good name competition.
Doing a home and home with a good FCS program like that wouldn’t do any good. Same reason teams won’t schedule our women’s basketball team. I just said them selfishly haha

I just looked at Vandy’s home schedule and I said to myself , “man I bet CDM is sure glad to be at MTSU!” 😂

Va. Tech, Bama, Texas, South Carolina and Tennessee. Bloodbath on West End.
They may beat Alcorn and Ball St. 😂

Reactions: The Network
If I'm not mistaken there is a CUSA rule that teams in the conference can never play at a FCS school.
Wonder if that would include playing an fcs not at their home stadium, but at a stadium independent of the school. Thinking of a home & home with TSU, but with the return game at Nissan Stadium.
I could see possibly +35,000 in attendance at a venue such as that.

Reactions: Shayne_Pickering
Wonder if that would include playing an fcs not at their home stadium, but at a stadium independent of the school. Thinking of a home & home with TSU, but with the return game at Nissan Stadium.
I could see possibly +35,000 in attendance at a venue such as that.
That’s a pretty good idea.

I just looked at Vandy’s home schedule and I said to myself , “man I bet CDM is sure glad to be at MTSU!” 😂

Va. Tech, Bama, Texas, South Carolina and Tennessee. Bloodbath on West End.
They may beat Alcorn and Ball St. 😂
I have a buddy who bought season tix for Vanderbilt. He got 6 and will sell to opposing fans for Tennessee, Texas and Bama. He will turn a profit

Troy is an obvious rivalry game.

Vandy is fun when Stock isn’t here.

App St and Marshall are excellent regional games.

Boise is an awesome city to visit.

Georgia State is an easy drive into Atlanta.

I always thought ECU would be a good home and home.

Obviously anytime we can get a former P5 team into Floyd it’s great.

When we moved to FBS 20+ years ago, I hoped for enough success to get a 2-1-1 with Tennessee: 2 in Neyland, 1 in Nashville and 1 to open the season in Floyd. Pipe dream.

James Madison is a school I'd like for us to be playing in all the revenue sports. UAB, Marshall, Tulane, Coastal Carolina, Georgia St.

Would help recruiting in the Midwest if we can start playing a MAC school every year. P4 Money games need to be a thing of the past, schedule ones you can win (Northwestern, WAKE, SMU, Vandy, Syracuse, UCF, Indiana, etc.)

James Madison is a school I'd like for us to be playing in all the revenue sports. UAB, Marshall, Tulane, Coastal Carolina, Georgia St.

Would help recruiting in the Midwest if we can start playing a MAC school every year. P4 Money games need to be a thing of the past, schedule ones you can win (Northwestern, WAKE, SMU, Vandy, Syracuse, UCF, Indiana, etc.)
All good schools, and I agree on scheduling schools in areas you want to recruit.

But money games, we have to have them. Can't afford not to. And the schools mentioned don't really pay the big money. Heck, Syracuse is getting paid $300k themselves to go to UNLV this year.
UCF is paying only $800k to SHSU.

We just need to have those $1m/yr games, loss or not, until we can't get them. The $1.6m from Ole Miss this year will pay CDM's salary for the year and then some.
We got $1.6m from Bama last year and get $1.2m from Wisconsin next year.

All we can do is schedule right, like we are the next few years opening at home vs FCS before the $ game instead of opening away.

Reactions: ewglenn
All good schools, and I agree on scheduling schools in areas you want to recruit.

But money games, we have to have them. Can't afford not to. And the schools mentioned don't really pay the big money. Heck, Syracuse is getting paid $300k themselves to go to UNLV this year.
UCF is paying only $800k to SHSU.

We just need to have those $1m/yr games, loss or not, until we can't get them. The $1.6m from Ole Miss this year will pay CDM's salary for the year and then some.
We got $1.6m from Bama last year and get $1.2m from Wisconsin next year.

All we can do is schedule right, like we are the next few years opening at home vs FCS before the $ game instead of opening away.
1 game a year I don't mind, but we can't fill our schedule with them if you want to be taken seriously. I'd rather have the $ game opening weekend, we've seen so many upsets over the years of P4/5 programs stumbling right out of the gate

1 game a year I don't mind, but we can't fill our schedule with them if you want to be taken seriously. I'd rather have the $ game opening weekend, we've seen so many upsets over the years of P4/5 programs stumbling right out of the gate
100%. That is one thing I'll give CM and Lee credit for. (I know for a fact Lee arranged the Memphis deal). One Power team is all we should be playing each year. You are right, 2 or 3 is ridiculous.

I do think we should open up every year at home with our FCS opponent though. While there is a chance absolutely to grab that Power win early, I think it is more important to start the season at home and with a win. Much easier to come back for home game number two at 1-1 and not lose fans early like we have in the past, than have our home opener be with us at 0-1 after a Power beatdown.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT