ADVERTISEMENT

I need a history lesson on Andy McCollum

bobdizole

Blue Raider
May 7, 2015
He was fired the year after I started at MTSU and can't remember hearing at the time why or more likely didn't care. I have been trying to find information on what he did to get fired and cannot find anything. Can someone enlighten me?

Andy's crowing achievements were the 01 team, Heisman Candidate (longshot in Dwone Hicks), and sweeping Vanderbilt. He lost a lot of games and there were some low points at the end of the season when basketball and football would get mopped on a Saturday. I think there was one Saturday where Troy clowned us and UTK obliterated us in basketball that night. It was a gut punch.

I remember going to the game at Vanderbilt where we blocked the FG with 12 men on the field :rolleyes:

Has the football team ever lost scholarships for NCAA violations?

I remember going to the game at Vanderbilt where we blocked the FG with 12 men on the field :rolleyes:

Has the football team ever lost scholarships for NCAA violations?

Yes we lost 25 scholarships (I think) over a period of time due to low APR. AM took some chances on guys that never graduated and it hurt our ranking.

Look, MT waited about 5 years to long to move up to FBS. His staff in the early days was solid but over time we lost these guys to bigger jobs and the team degraded.

The irony is Stock got a lot of resources that Andy couldn’t get until he failed. Lots of irony. Now, your seeing a similar trend with Stock from a fan base disappearing. Irony #2, AM was an emotional guy and worked the community well (something we are asking Stock to do more if).

A blend of both these guys is probably what we want.

Reactions: C-Bow
He not only lost a lot but he nearly destroyed the entire football program. We lost 8 scholarships per year for 4 years for being dead last in the APR ratings and most of our team wasn't even going to class at the time. He had to go.

In 2000, he went 6-5 and in 2001, he went 8-3 with Wes Counts and Hicks. That was a glorious year because we were d-1a for like a year. We also were SBC co-champs too. No bowl though.

After that, Fedora and others left and we flatlined. 4 years of awful. 2005 it got really bad to the point we had to make a move. The APR killed us and it also got Boots canned too.

I miss the gray jumpsuits and broken headsets. Watching us destroy GT @ Bobby Dodd in 2012 with him on their sidelines was priceless. LOL. His face was hilarious. He couldn't believe it. Hahahah.

There might be some similarities with Andy and Stock but Stock has won way more and has done way more than Andy could have ever done.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
He was fired the year after I started at MTSU and can't remember hearing at the time why or more likely didn't care. I have been trying to find information on what he did to get fired and cannot find anything. Can someone enlighten me?

2002: 4-8
2003: 4-8
2004: 5-6
2005: 4-7

Plus as others have mentioned, academic performance of the team was lagging at a time when APR was just being introduced and punishments began to include scholarship reductions.

Four years of lousy coaching, exposed by Larry Fedora and Joe Wickline leaving after Wes Counts last year in 2001. His bullshit had grown old. Everybody was an All American when signed and then half of them we would never even see on campus. What was unbelievable was that there was a handful of boosters/fans that did not want him fired after four straight years of losing. I am pretty sure that these are the folks that were on the committee that decided our new mascot would be a winged horse snorting lightning bolts and were also pushing for McPhee and Massaro to hire Watson Brown...

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
The offense was overpowering when Fedora was OC but they never had a good defense or special teams so once Fedora left the offense declined and the team stopped winning.

The offense was overpowering when Fedora was OC but they never had a good defense or special teams so once Fedora left the offense declined and the team stopped winning.
They were pretty decent defenses when Diaz was the DC the last two seasons under Andy.

The 3-0 record against Vanderbilt was really nice. I was there when we beat that 4-0 Cutler led team. was great. Andy did some good things here. I certainly think it's time to bury the hatchet he has been gone a long time. Hope the dudes having fun at GT

i talked to him at tech on a recruiting visit, he seems happier and stress free. still a players coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT