ADVERTISEMENT

Home and home with Liberty

Last place I want to be is with a bunch of Falwell fans and supporters. Don't like playing them, in any sport, at all. Hate to even acknowledge their existence.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
The solution is to find more people to give. Liberty is serious about their athletics.

That program has tons more money than most G5 programs and the facilities are as good as any of the top G5 programs across the board.

Old Dominion is getting 1.3 million to travel to Lynchburg next season. I wonder if MT is getting any additional incentives more than usual for the home and home deal...

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ominion-13-million-play-2018-home-opener-game

Syracuse opens at Liberty in 2019, and I see north texas, southern miss, uab, Army, BYU, and MAC schools on their future home schedules.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTrueBlue
As someone who can't stand the ideologies that come out of public universities these days, I understand your premise.

Staying focused on football, we better not crap the bed to a relatively new program ala FAU and WKU.
Last place I want to be is with a bunch of Falwell fans and supporters. Don't like playing them, in any sport, at all. Hate to even acknowledge their existence.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Wow I had no idea this school actually fielded and actual football team instead of a computer generated simulated video game team. Pretty crazy.

Meant to respond in this thread and was reminded I had forgotten when the post was made Wed. Don't want to start a discussion which should be better placed in the "Around the Water Cooler" forum realizing that my earlier post could be to blame. That said, two responses:

blueboro007: If you can't see the difference between Notre Dame (or SMU or TCU, etc.) and Liberty I won't even try to explain it to you, and

JohnDavidBlue: Realizing from your frequent posts that you and I probably have different outlooks on life (although I imagine we are somewhat the same age) I find it hard to understand your previous post where you said you understand my premise. (You see my premise as a valid position or you see where I'm coming from and don't like it - hard to tell?)
I realize some think because of where they get their information that public universities have become ("these days" in your words) a cesspool of liberal thought, secularism, political correctness and everything else they see as wrong with society. JDB, I had classes taught by a teacher who was an athist and another who made jokes about Christians in the 60's at MT. IMHO "back then" wasn't so different. Additionally, it's clear to this business school graduate that both economics and business departments have become much more conservative over the last few years (less concerned with employees and customers, more concerned with stockholders and executives along with the emphasis on entrepreneurship). You would be hard pressed to find a liberal teacher in an Agriculture or Engineering school anywhere. As far as the ideologies (your word) coming out of public universities - I would hope college students' ideas and beliefs are challenged somewhere during their education; if for no other reason to enable graduates to think, look at and understand all sides of any issue, and be able to defend their personal positions; no matter where they lie.

I still don't like playing Liberty. I just can't divorce my feelings about the school from my disgust at the way Falwell, Sr. used half-truths, implication, and outright lies about public education (I know, I heard some of his sermons at the time) when he established Lynchburg Christian Academy (the first attempt at education by Thomas Road Baptist Church). Regardless of what Falwell said in the pulpit LCU was nothing more than one of the prevalent, "white flight" schools opened all across the south at the time as a result of integration.

MTFNBY5 -

I don't visit the CUSA BBS boards an awful lot but when we were a member of the Sun Belt, I remember pages and pages of threads from posters that wanted nothing to do with Liberty. Unfortunately, there were some there that took discussions to flaming contests. It is just one of those schools. I think that scheduling Liberty invites the "Around the Water Cooler" type of discussion in a sports forum.

We do have different viewpoints but that's fine by me. I enjoy reading your posts on basketball and MT and I am pretty sure we aren't the same age but regardless of any of that, I enjoy what you write. My post was to simply state that I don't even like to acknowledge the existence of some universities. Safe Zones and restrictions of speech really make me question the usefulness of schools that teach under the banner of progressiveness. One only needs to youtube current university protests to see the silence and squelching of ideologies on major college campuses. However, I am a firm believer in letting students make the decisions themselves without instructors refraining from teaching principles or restricting speech allowed on campus.

I can say that I was a different person after graduation then before the day I set foot in a classroom at MTSU.

TL;DR: We probably are on different ends of the spectrum. That's ok. I probably don't agree with your outlooks but I understand your frustration with scheduling Liberty.

Meant to respond in this thread and was reminded I had forgotten when the post was made Wed. Don't want to start a discussion which should be better placed in the "Around the Water Cooler" forum realizing that my earlier post could be to blame. That said, two responses:

blueboro007: If you can't see the difference between Notre Dame (or SMU or TCU, etc.) and Liberty I won't even try to explain it to you, and

JohnDavidBlue: Realizing from your frequent posts that you and I probably have different outlooks on life (although I imagine we are somewhat the same age) I find it hard to understand your previous post where you said you understand my premise. (You see my premise as a valid position or you see where I'm coming from and don't like it - hard to tell?)
I realize some think because of where they get their information that public universities have become ("these days" in your words) a cesspool of liberal thought, secularism, political correctness and everything else they see as wrong with society. JDB, I had classes taught by a teacher who was an athist and another who made jokes about Christians in the 60's at MT. IMHO "back then" wasn't so different. Additionally, it's clear to this business school graduate that both economics and business departments have become much more conservative over the last few years (less concerned with employees and customers, more concerned with stockholders and executives along with the emphasis on entrepreneurship). You would be hard pressed to find a liberal teacher in an Agriculture or Engineering school anywhere. As far as the ideologies (your word) coming out of public universities - I would hope college students' ideas and beliefs are challenged somewhere during their education; if for no other reason to enable graduates to think, look at and understand all sides of any issue, and be able to defend their personal positions; no matter where they lie.

I still don't like playing Liberty. I just can't divorce my feelings about the school from my disgust at the way Falwell, Sr. used half-truths, implication, and outright lies about public education (I know, I heard some of his sermons at the time) when he established Lynchburg Christian Academy (the first attempt at education by Thomas Road Baptist Church). Regardless of what Falwell said in the pulpit LCU was nothing more than one of the prevalent, "white flight" schools opened all across the south at the time as a result of integration.

I don't have any problems with the religious aspect of this series in the least. I just can't see any justification in scheduling this series from a monetary aspect, unless they are paying us WAY, WAY, WAY more that I would suspect they are. Otherwise, I'd rather schedule Austin Peay.

I don't have any problems with the religious aspect of this series in the least. I just can't see any justification in scheduling this series from a monetary aspect, unless they are paying us WAY, WAY, WAY more that I would suspect they are. Otherwise, I'd rather schedule Austin Peay.

I have a feeling they are paying us...how can we find out?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT