ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Head Coach fired

The coaching carousel will start to spin fast here soon.

Already open :
Oregon State
Georgia Southern

Expected to open
UTK
Ole Miss (on an interim)

Could open :
Texas A&M
UNC
Arkansas
Missouri

I'm really interested to see how the Ole Miss situation plays out. Did Freeze resigning reduce the NCAA impact or will the NCAA lay the hammer down on Ole Miss? How will this affect their coaching search?

Names to watch :
Lane Kiffin (FAU)
Chip Kelly
Blake Anderson (Ark State)
Mike Norvell (Memphis)

Crazy thought here- what if we replaced Stock with Butch Jones.

Stock has a large buyout we're on the hook for.

Butch has a buyout at UT that's got offsets written into it. There's no real incentive for him to go out and sign a monster deal, it just offsets his UT buyout.

Maybe we get him on the cheap while paying off Stocks buyout. Essentially, we'd have UT paying our coach.

As for Butch the coach, I'm a firm believer that's he's a living example of the Peter Principle. UT is too big a job for him, but his track record at Cincy and CMU is perfect for us.

Plus, I'd much rather be fed dumb clichés than a steady diet of "we competed".

Plus, he would being some personality and buzz. Stock has all the juice of moldy wet cardboard.

Butch has a buyout at UT that's got offsets written into it. There's no real incentive for him to go out and sign a monster deal, it just offsets his UT buyout.

Maybe we get him on the cheap while paying off Stocks buyout. Essentially, we'd have UT paying our coach.

As for Butch the coach, I'm a firm believer that's he's a living example of the Peter Principle. UT is too big a job for him, but his track record at Cincy and CMU is perfect for us.

Plus, he would being some personality and buzz. Stock has all the juice of moldy wet cardboard.
His Circle Of Life drill alone would bring more people to the poorly attended Spring Game.

Butch Jones is definitely more of a salesman than Stock, but I haven't been that impressed with Jones' X and O's

I'll add in Sonny Dykes (TCU asst) and Manny Diaz (Miami FL DC) has guys who could land a G5 gig

If Miami keeps winning, Manny will have several offers. Part of me is sad they are doing so well this year because it most likely kills any chance we ever have for him.

I watched their game Saturday against Cuse. On the end when Cuse got an incomplete on 4th down, it happened right in front Manny. He threw his hands up and jumped up yelling. Made me wish we had coaches that did that honestly.

Reactions: Predarat

Some innovative thinking, ULMonroe did something like that with Charlie Weatherby who the Naval Academy was on the hook for several years. Not wanting a retread especially a utk retread though.

I'm pretty sure Georgia Southern stole our talking points as justification to fire their coach..from a letter to their president.

"And the blame for this falls at your feet. Do something about this and fire Tom Klienlin for writing up such a destructive contract for Tyson Summers, and of course Mr. Summers and his staff must go."

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I like the outside the box thinking going on here in this thread.

Slightly jealous to see other programs making necessary changes.

I'd go against bringing in Butch Jones for a few reasons
1) While he is a better salesman, but I'm not sure he's that great with the X's and O's aspect of football.
2) There are many dual UT fans in the MT fan base, many of whom are just as angry at Jones as they are about Stockstill
3) Depending on how Jones' contract is structure, MT/Jones may not be able to pull off the reduced salary. I've seen/heard of a few major coaches that have language preventing the HC from seeking a reduced salary at another institution while gaining a larger salary from their previous employer.

Id also add that Butch Jones is the laughing stock of the state. I really wouldnt wan that attention. Granted he would at least do a better job of recruiting locally

Id also add that Butch Jones is the laughing stock of the state. I really wouldnt wan that attention. Granted he would at least do a better job of recruiting locally

How would he recruit better at MT? This isn't UT...regarding Jones, he literally followed Brian Kelley at CMU and then struck gold at Cinn (Kelly resurrected both of these programs)- he didn't build either of those programs and obviously despite recruiting at UTK they are not progressing.

Reactions: Hop45 and MTLynn
How would he recruit better at MT? This isn't UT...regarding Jones, he literally followed Brian Kelley at CMU and then struck gold at Cinn (Kelly resurrected both of these programs)- he didn't build either of those programs and obviously despite recruiting at UTK they are not progressing.
Because he is a used car salesman and he could convince some good athletes to come here. The problem is when they get here they arent going to get any better and they wont win a conf championship

Recruiting is the one thing that the man can do.

He is the captain of a flaming dumpster who everyone knows is going to get fired, and he still has a top 10 class committed.

He'd kill it here. And this is still a league that can be won by amassing more talent than your opponent.

We don't need him to beat Alabama. All we need is him to beat UAB. It's not a high bar we're setting here.

You'd rather 5 more years of "we competed"?

I’m thinking Joe Craddock is a viable candidate. I keep hearing Chad Morris as a HC candidate at P5 schools. If he jumps, then this is the time to bring Joe back.

I also look at a guy like Joe Moorhead as a guy on the move up the ranks. Maybe a Brian Dabol or Mike Houston would be willing to use us as a stepping stone school, (I would be okay with that if they win to earn a bigger paycheck).

How about Steve Campbell? Old OC, and look at the success at Delta State and Central Arkansas. Plus he has the ties to juco for recruiting. Lots of options if C.M. will make a move.

Reactions: C-Bow
why would Houston leave JMU, he has much better fan support and program right now? The OC from Bama is not coming here Penn State.

why would Houston leave JMU, he has much better fan support and program right now? The OC from Bama is not coming here Penn State.

I’m literally just coming up with names at lower schools as options. Most probably would’nt come, but it only takes 1 to want a change, a stepping stone, something different.

And it’s CM’s job to sell the program

Middle Tennessee[edit]
In 2002 Middle Tennessee coach Andy McCollum hired Anderson to serve as co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach in replacement of Larry Fedora who had left for Florida. At Middle Tennessee he was exposed to variations of the Hurry-up offense which dramatically changed his outlook.[3] The Blue Raiders passing offense increased each year under his tenure improving from 154.0 yards per game in 2002 to 226.7 in 2003 and 267.7 in 2004. Anderson's offense led the Sun Belt Conference in scoring offense in 2003 and saw the school's first 1,000 yard receiver in 2004. After leaving MTSU he left coaching for three years for a stint in private business.

I’m thinking Joe Craddock is a viable candidate. I keep hearing Chad Morris as a HC candidate at P5 schools. If he jumps, then this is the time to bring Joe back.

I also look at a guy like Joe Moorhead as a guy on the move up the ranks. Maybe a Brian Dabol or Mike Houston would be willing to use us as a stepping stone school, (I would be okay with that if they win to earn a bigger paycheck).

How about Steve Campbell? Old OC, and look at the success at Delta State and Central Arkansas. Plus he has the ties to juco for recruiting. Lots of options if C.M. will make a move.

Can we afford any of those guys?

Until we could get out of Stock's retirement fund, we might have to be shopping in the bargain bin - hence damaged goods coaches might be our best bet.

Until we could get out of Stock's retirement fund, we might have to be shopping in the bargain bin - hence damaged goods coaches might be our best bet.
FWIW, Daboll's salary is $1.2 million.

I’m sorry I said specific names to this crowd.

How about this - there has to be one decent coach somewhere in this country who would be willing to come here for whatever reason. It’s not a message board hero’s job to know who that person is; C.M. is paid to do this. I’ve heard several people say a good AD has a list of names just in case.

There is going to be 20-30 open jobs this year in FBS and a lot of people would the chance to prove they can win.

And no young coach with a brain and just starting his HC career record wants to be SEC/Big Ten homecoming buy game meat. Stock isn’t going anywhere for a couple of years.

And no young coach with a brain and just starting his HC career record wants to be SEC/Big Ten homecoming buy game meat. Stock isn’t going anywhere for a couple of years.

You've come back to what I've been saying all along.

I don't understand all this mental masturbation that's been going on. The fact is he cannot be fired. As I previously stated, CRS will outlast McPhee and Massaro. Only then will change occur (unless he retires). He looks tired.

Reactions: MTLynn
I’m sorry I said specific names to this crowd.

How about this - there has to be one decent coach somewhere in this country who would be willing to come here for whatever reason. It’s not a message board hero’s job to know who that person is; C.M. is paid to do this. I’ve heard several people say a good AD has a list of names just in case.

There is going to be 20-30 open jobs this year in FBS and a lot of people would the chance to prove they can win.

I like Craddock. He's a protégé of Chad Morris.

I'll also throw out Walt Bell at Maryland.

I think people would jump at this job if it came open. You can win here and we have a fan base that's near the top of CUSA (if you give people a reason to buy in).

But as MT01 said, he's got a contract that makes him near unfireable unless we come up with major $$$'s.

I don't understand all this mental masturbation that's been going on. The fact is he cannot be fired. As I previously stated, CRS will outlast McPhee and Massaro. Only then will change occur (unless he retires). He looks tired.
And I called this almost 2 years ago.

It's akin to therapy. But Rick will not be relieved and I will be almost 50 by the time the contract in it the current state will mature. Talking about CRS being fired seems to be as productive as conference realignment talk in the summer.

It's akin to therapy. But Rick will not be relieved and I will be almost 50 by the time the contract in it the current state will mature. Talking about CRS being fired seems to be as productive as conference realignment talk in the summer.
Providing no more extensions get tacked on. I hate to tell you but it is highly likely this contract never ends until Stockstill himself resigns.

How about Steve Campbell? Old OC, and look at the success at Delta State and Central Arkansas.
I would love to have Steve Campbell.

That said, the problem with this years team is the offense. The offense has been good 10 out of 12 years so there is no reason to think it wont be good next year.

It's akin to therapy.

Exactly.

The truth is, anyone still posting on this site is a true Blue Raider fan (or masochist) and is just blowing off steam. Nothing is going to change unless we have multiple years in a row with a losing record. This is just a vent spot and thank goodness we have a place to let out the frustration over MT football.

Exactly.

The truth is, anyone still posting on this site is a true Blue Raider fan (or masochist) and is just blowing off steam. Nothing is going to change unless we have multiple years in a row with a losing record. This is just a vent spot and thank goodness we have a place to let out the frustration over MT football.

Thankful to be able to vent...while I agree it would be nice to have a new staff, my hope is he can turn it around. I have no idea what it will take or look like but my preference would be not to have multiple losing seasons in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT