ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Gulf Coast Showcase

Tough not having coaches yelling at him to do that and stressing not fouling at the end.

We just lost to a .500 summit conference team that shot 14% from 3 and committed 22 turnovers

if we can’t beat trash like that then what’s the point of even playing in this covid mess

fire this loser now please

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
Just finished watching the Blue Raiders loss to Omaha. I saw a great come back and then when the game was on the line I saw zero coaching. The missed free throws also cost us the game. ADCM better start looking for a new job. His coaching selections and contracts he gives coaches are awful. I am so upset of what I am seeing in our athletics, I can’t stand it. I will stay a fan but we need change.

Reactions: C-Bow
Both programs are literal dumpster fires. Blind leading the blind, led by the blind for the blind, who’s also blind.

you think Kermit would have lost that game with those players ? We would have won by 20 with Kermit as coach. Kermit ain’t losing to a perennial .500 ball club that shoots 14% from 3 and commits 22 turnovers with all that talent on our roster. HOLY HELL. I’m not convinced McDevitt could win the NCAAs if he was given the Lakers roster. This dude just SUCKS.

McDevitt is officially in over his head. Nothings changed in 3 years. Terrible mental errors, poor FT shooting, and a total inability to create a consistent and high threat offense. This is going to be another terrible year when it shouldn’t be with all that talent on the roster.

My god, what have we as MT fans done to deserve this ????

I would like to remind everyone McDevitt is a top 3 highest paid coach in the G5 and we can’t even beat a perennial .500 ball club that shoots 14% from 3 and commits 22 turnovers in Year 3 under Mcdevitt. All that with having the highest rated talent we’ve ever had on paper here at MT.

this man just isn’t it yall. I don’t know what else people need to see.

I’m reserving judgement until I actually see them play. Wasn’t paying $30 to watch 2 games. It’s not a good trend going 1/4 of the game without scoring. Super frustrating to feel like it was going to be a big loss, then close win, then close loss.
I mean we just lost to a team that Austin Peay beat by 6.

That team was hot garbage. Hit 1 three pointer the whole game, 22 turnovers, could barely muster 60 points against us.
We had zero business losing that game.

Especially in the commanding position we were in at the end. We didn’t score a single point in the last 2 minutes. We missed FTs and turned the ball over instead of having the killer instinct and confidence to step on their throat. How does that happen with all this talent in year 3?? So unspeakably bad

Reactions: MTOleBlue
That team was hot garbage. Hit 1 three pointer the whole game, 22 turnovers, could barely muster 60 points against us.
We had zero business losing that game.

Especially in the commanding position we were in at the end. We didn’t score a single point in the last 2 minutes. We missed FTs and turned the ball over instead of having the killer instinct and confidence to step on their throat. How does that happen with all this talent in year 3?? So unspeakably bad
I totally agree with everything you have written. I appreciate the passion.

I totally agree with everything you have written. I appreciate the passion.

mostly frustration. I am so sick of the incompetence that permeates through our athletic department. It all starts at the top and trickles down to the field and court.

Today was Just down right pathetic game management. In the final seconds of the game we missed two FTs, turned the ball over, and fouled the opposing team twice. They went 4/4 from the FT line. They had the killer instinct, confidence, and resolve to do whatever it takes to win. We did everything in our power to lose.

Where is the leadership ? Where is the coaching ? Where is the will to win ?

All I see is a staff and team that has no idea what it takes to win and a losing culture that permeates through all of our athletics teams

Losers, everywhere.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
mostly frustration. I am so sick of the incompetence that permeates through our athletic department. It all starts at the top and trickles down to the field and court.

Today was Just down right pathetic game management. In the final seconds of the game we missed two FTs, turned the ball over, and fouled the opposing team twice. They went 4/4 from the FT line. They had the killer instinct, confidence, and resolve to do whatever it takes to win. We did everything in our power to lose.

Where is the leadership ? Where is the coaching ? Where is the will to win ?

All I see is a staff and team that has no idea what it takes to win and a losing culture that permeates through all of our athletics teams

Losers, everywhere.
It’s awful to watch live. I am a huge donor and I am unable to with hold my money at this point. I have spoken to parents of athletes and we do not want respond to people that want to play here. It is pure apathy starting at the top. We have a 30M budget with 70 staffers and we get losses everywhere. We have got to clean house and start over. In the future we have to create an environment where winning coaches move on. We look like a D3 program in football and basketball. The players are not being coached. We have zero fan support due to losses like we had today. This is just pitiful. The players that come here are not getting what they signed up for. Yes they are getting an education but not being taught how to win.

Reactions: C-Bow and Hop45
Both programs are literal dumpster fires. Blind leading the blind, led by the blind for the blind, who’s also blind.

you think Kermit would have lost that game with those players ? We would have won by 20 with Kermit as coach. Kermit ain’t losing to a perennial .500 ball club that shoots 14% from 3 and commits 22 turnovers with all that talent on our roster. HOLY HELL. I’m not convinced McDevitt could win the NCAAs if he was given the Lakers roster. This dude just SUCKS.

McDevitt is officially in over his head. Nothings changed in 3 years. Terrible mental errors, poor FT shooting, and a total inability to create a consistent and high threat offense. This is going to be another terrible year when it shouldn’t be with all that talent on the roster.

you give Kermit to much credit, he lost to Bama St and Miss Valley

Reactions: SpaceRaider

mcdevitt consistently loses to these loser schools. Kermit had some bad losses but more than made up for it with quality wins. McDevitt couldn’t spell quality win.

It’s awful to watch live. I am a huge donor and I am unable to with hold my money at this point. I have spoken to parents of athletes and we do not want respond to people that want to play here. It is pure apathy starting at the top. We have a 30M budget with 70 staffers and we get losses everywhere. We have got to clean house and start over. In the future we have to create an environment where winning coaches move on. We look like a D3 program in football and basketball. The players are not being coached. We have zero fan support due to losses like we had today. This is just pitiful. The players that come here are not getting what they signed up for. Yes they are getting an education but not being taught how to win.

thank you for donating. I know I don’t need to encourage you but please apply as much pressure as you can towards change. Massaro, stock still, McPhee, and McDevitt all need to be fired. Today.

The only real quality we have is in WBB. Not that it wasn't that way before, but now it's an even bigger gap

Let's talk just a little about the two teams we are to play in this "Tournament".

Omaha is picked 4th in the Summit league and has a 1st team and a 2nd team pre-season all league player.
ETSU is picked third (with one 1st place vote) in the SOCON and has two players on the 11-person pre-season all league squad.
And for the poster who bemoaned losing to a team which a day earlier lost to AP by 6. The Govs are pre-season co-favorite in the OVC and have two 1st team pre-season all-league members.
All three of these squads are veteran as opposed to MT.

And where is MT in C-USA? Picked 12th with no players mentioned among the pre-season squad. After losing 3 of our top 4 scorers no wonder we are not picked higher.

And with the possible exception of WKU who has looked very good in their first 2 games C-USA ain't "all that" when compared to the SOCON, Summit and OVC. I wish we were but we just aren't.

I'm as upset as you with not so much that we lost today but in how we lost and I don't think we can blame it all on a lack of having developed "chemistry". The way we finished both halves is very concerning as is the fact that not one of the hyped newcomers rose up and showed what we expected (perhaps Davis in the 2nd half). Combine that with our most experienced player making a bone-headed turnover late which probably cost the W fans should be frustrated.

Regardless, I'll listen again tomorrow and hope we don't continue today's inauspicious start to what we hoped would be McDevitt's breakout year.

good job having literally zero standards. For a program that was a rising star. I guess we should just accept that we suck now because we didn’t get any pre season hype.

And Breakout year ? Pipe dream. We will be lucky to break .500. Looks like very little has changed versus last year.

And let’s not start making excuses for ETSU beating us already. ETSU has to replace all 5 starters and don’t have Forbes anymore. We should whip a team like that. Or we can make excuses for ourselves and just accept the fact that we suck and be happy if we win any games this year

what in the world has happened to our program, and some of our fans ??

Last edited:
I would love to know how much $$$ the Omaha and ETSU head coaches make.....

without looking I guarantee it’s not even close to what we pay McDevitt.

Omaha coach makes 170K.....ETSU coach makes 250k.....

McDevitt makes more than them combined. Hell you might be able to add APSU and ACU coaches salaries and McDevitt might make more than all 4....

I can't believe we are saying oh, well, APSU was picked near the top of the Ohio Valley.

Seriously? THE OVC?

It's unreal...

Reactions: C-Bow
McDevitt probably makes more than the top 3 OVC coaches combined.....

Been saying this from the jump. Couldn't agree more.

Kermit also beat Michigan freakin state in the tourney and destroyed everyone's bracket. CNM can't beat Omaha. Kermit sure as hell an coutcoach CNM on his worst day. It is only one game but this game is not a game we should lose in year 3 with the roster he has now.

Discipline and fundamentals wins this game hands down. Our coaches stress neither.

Been saying this from the jump. Couldn't agree more.

you were right. I was wrong. I wanted to give him more time, but in retrospect I was in denial. This dude hasn’t been able to coach himself out of a wet paper bag since he arrived here. Honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen us score an easy lay up on a set out of bounds play. He just doesn’t have the chops as an offensive or defensive mind.

this team has no identity, no culture, no killer instinct, no character. And that all starts with the head coach.

let me ask you fans, what kind of team do we have ? What kind of identity does this Blue Raider basketball program have now???

We used to be a tough nosed, defensive minded, but offensively skilled ball club. We had a reputation of not backing down from anyone and having the ability to bang with anyone in the country

What are we now guys ???

Kermit also beat Michigan freakin state in the tourney and destroyed everyone's bracket. CNM can't beat Omaha. Kermit sure as hell an coutcoach CNM on his worst day. It is only one game but this game is not a game we should lose in year 3 with the roster he has now.

Discipline and fundamentals wins this game hands down. Our coaches stress neither.

after what 15 years? I not making an argument for McDevitt, but just stating that Kermit struggled for 10 years before hiring Monte, Greg then things changed. I still believe those 2 were the catalyst for the success.

I ponied up the $$ so I could watch the mostly new roster. There are some talented players, or should I say players with potential. Whatever the case I'm willing to let CNM have a shot at convincing me that he can do something with a full roster. I do need to be convinced based on past 2 seasons of poor effort, poor defense, etc.

Game 1 was a disappointing start. There were a few good minutes with some decent effort. Some guys have the size and ability. Early on I'm mainly looking for effort, toughness, and some discipline. Sadly, I saw very little of it. A major choke at the end topped it off. CNM did come unglued on the sideline at that moment.

Coleman-Jones is the new player that most caught my attention. His stats didn't necessarily reflect anything impressive, but I liked his energy. I thought Coleman-Jones brought good effort, energy, fight, and good athleticism to go with his really good length.

Jalen Jordan appeared to have some energy and intensity as earlier reports suggested. Early foul trouble limited his mins. He had great effort, a little too much that leads to fouls. In my opinion, you can't knock him for errors stemming from effort.

Jordan Davis looked like the most polished player on the team.

Dishman just needs some time to get himself back into game shape and the flow of the game. One could see some flashes of his talent and potential.

The scoring drought, there was no offensive flow. Frankly, most of the players looked lost as what to do in the half court offense. A recurrent coaching theme in my opinion. Just like last year, it seems the opponent almost baited MT to take early 3 pt shots for which the boys in blue obliged.

There were too many stretches of poor rebounding. Overall a little better on defense than last year or two. Although that's not saying much.

Structure and flow, as in lacking. Those were the two terms that kept coming to my mind that the team was lacking.

after what 15 years? I not making an argument for McDevitt, but just stating that Kermit struggled for 10 years before hiring Monte, Greg then things changed. I still believe those 2 were the catalyst for the success.

Saying Kermit struggled is all relative considering the abyss he had to pull this program out of from which no one else had previously following what was virtually the death penalty by the NCAA. Struggle or did he do ok with a pretty shitty program? Sometimes I think people forget how MT basketball was never able to recover from the sanctions from the late 80s fiasco. In spite the state of the program and lack of resources, he had one losing season in almost two decades here. Can you honestly look at these two situations and compare them?

I despise what’s happened to the program. I don’t take any pleasure in this. Since the day he was announced I’ve consistently told y’all why this was a bad hire and hardly anyone has listened. How long will some of you keep your head in the sand? At this point you should be expecting the worst. It’s like we aren’t watching the same team sometimes with the leash so many here want to grant. Wiley is right. And not just because it’s all the things I said before he coached his first game here and have continued to say.

It’s ok to be cautiously optimistic given there appears to be more talent/depth. But that doesn’t mean a whole lot. He still has to lead them and teach them and coach them up. And there is still yet to be evidence that he can do that here. That said, it’s only one game with a bunch of new faces so I’m not writing the season off yet. They may need some time to gel. This may look like a completely different team by January but to come into this season with expectations of something more than you’ve seen to date is asinine (and not good for any of y’all’s health). We will see what happens. Hope for the best but expect a shitshow. Because there isn’t a lick of damn evidence to indicate we should be all in. That way you don’t have to be too disappointed. And if he does show us something then we’ll have reason to be excited and levy expectations. CNM hasn’t done anything here to warrant expectations except that paycheck he’s receiving.

I ponied up the $$ so I could watch the mostly new roster. There are some talented players, or should I say players with potential. Whatever the case I'm willing to let CNM have a shot at convincing me that he can do something with a full roster. I do need to be convinced based on past 2 seasons of poor effort, poor defense, etc.

Game 1 was a disappointing start. There were a few good minutes with some decent effort. Some guys have the size and ability. Early on I'm mainly looking for effort, toughness, and some discipline. Sadly, I saw very little of it. A major choke at the end topped it off. CNM did come unglued on the sideline at that moment.

Coleman-Jones is the new player that most caught my attention. His stats didn't necessarily reflect anything impressive, but I liked his energy. I thought Coleman-Jones brought good effort, energy, fight, and good athleticism to go with his really good length.

Jalen Jordan appeared to have some energy and intensity as earlier reports suggested. Early foul trouble limited his mins. He had great effort, a little too much that leads to fouls. In my opinion, you can't knock him for errors stemming from effort.

Jordan Davis looked like the most polished player on the team.

Dishman just needs some time to get himself back into game shape and the flow of the game. One could see some flashes of his talent and potential.

The scoring drought, there was no offensive flow. Frankly, most of the players looked lost as what to do in the half court offense. A recurrent coaching theme in my opinion. Just like last year, it seems the opponent almost baited MT to take early 3 pt shots for which the boys in blue obliged.

There were too many stretches of poor rebounding. Overall a little better on defense than last year or two. Although that's not saying much.

Structure and flow, as in lacking. Those were the two terms that kept coming to my mind that the team was lacking.

Dukewayne- I'm glad you actually watched the game and appreciate and share much of what you've said.. The coaches definitely came unglued at the end- 9.8 seconds, they called TO to discuss time, situation, strategy. They still had a timeout, they had the possession arrow, and the ball. Omaha didn't even really front or deny Sims on the inbound. Simply a bad decision and counter to the instructions provided. Sims took ownership of the error with his teammates and coaches after the game. Hopefully they all learn from that.

As for the the scoreless drought- the team simply missed shots (a lot of them unfortunately)- I would disagree with you in that they didn't just settle for baited 3's- five 3 point attempts over the final 10 minutes of that dismal first half. 2 of those three's were immediately after the last score and taken by a good perimeter shooter (Shuler). Guys missed 5 layups and 7 mid-range jumpers in that stretch.. the offense didn't bog down and you didn't see hero ball like last year, there were decent looks that most nights will go down- you just saw guys miss 17 shots in a row and not just a bunch of forced shots- which we definitely saw last year.. last years team would've dropped this game by 20+.. stat sheet reflected 8 assists on 19 made field goals which I always look at first but in watching the game they left at least twice that number of assists on the floor with missed bunnies..

IMO most nights this team makes several of the shots that didn't fall in the first half and this game isn't all that close.. they battled despite the adversity, they didn't revert to hero ball and stayed with the offense and the defense was much improved. Up until the final 4 minutes the team had 10 turnovers- unfortunately they failed to take care of the ball the final 4+ minutes and had 5 TO's down the stretch which gave the game away.

I expected the same song/dance here after a bad loss but the one's talking the loudest clearly didn't actually watch the game- the result just fits the same narrative and the comparisons to the ghosts of coaches past.

If they had won by 30 it wouldn't have meant much more quite frankly. I'm much more interested in their response today to see what this group is made of- do they fold or fall apart or do they show us some signs of life.

I'm trying to keep in mind "over reaction" Monday in reference to the 1st week of football. You know, the day when fans and sports media rave or rant about how they have the greatest or worst team in the league based upon their respective first win or loss.

I'm trying to remember that this is virtually a new roster that before tip off it was obvious it would take a little time to come together as a team in live minutes. Particularly for these first few games, I'm more interested in effort & fight etc., win or lose.

As disappointing as the first loss was yesterday, it was the way it unfolded at the end that added the sting. Sims messed up, but it was out of his character. So, I'm not looking to throw him under the bus over the matter. I imagine it is ripping him apart inside.

My mention of CNM coming unglued at that time of the critical turnover was something I was kind of actually glad to see. I'd sort of expect a coach to have a cow over such a crucial breakdown. He went ballistic, understandably so, and in a way I don't recall seeing last year.

Coming through the covid era of prep for a game, many teams are rough on the edges, and our opponent already had one game to settle in. That mattered and was obvious to the eye especially for the first 5-8 minutes of the game as evidenced by the early and many fouls.

Bottomline, the lack of effort and fight the last 2 years is what has driven me crazy. That was not the case in this first game. I at least thought that they were overall giving good effort even with some fight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT