ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Gulf Coast Showcase

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
This will serve as the tournament game thread...

What we know at this point:

Chip Walters stated on the local wgns sports show in the Blue Raider Report that the men's basketball team is departing Tuesday morning for Florida.

The administrators of the tourney are scrambling for teams, not ruling out DII programs to replace the three teams that backed out on short notice this past week.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Welp, if it stands now then we should sweep.

The teams that remain are East Tennessee State, Abilene Christian, Middle Tennessee State, Austin Peay and Omaha

*SHOULD*

ETSU is a quality program. APSU and Omaha are formidable programs as well though we should be head and shoulders above them.

I expect to win this tournament with ETSU being the most stiff competition.

My guess is that it will take a few games for the all the new players to learn to get feel for each other in live action. While I would hope for straight wins, I'm more interested to see the team's performance of effort, fight, tenacity, toughness, and willingness to work together as a team on both offense and defense.

Last edited:
Middle Tennessee will open the season in the Gulf Coast Showcase, where all of its games will be streamed on FloHoops.com.

No MT game Wednesday, but fully expect to play Thursday and Friday. A Third game from this event will be in Murfreesboro at a later date this season. This per Chip Walters on Blue Raider Insider Report on wgns.

No MT game Wednesday, but fully expect to play Thursday and Friday. A Third game from this event will be in Murfreesboro at a later date this season. This per Chip Walters on Blue Raider Insider Report on wgns.

Been waiting anxiously for news and we finally get it from Walters' daily report on Monte's show which can't be heard outside of Mufreesboro. I understand the Covid related issues and sympathize with all involved but some of us have been waiting for news on when and who MT would play and how the tournament (?) would be set up after learning some teams had dropped out. Now, based on SpaceRaiders' hearing Chip we learn (finally) that we won't play until Thursday. Wonder just when (and how) we'll find out more.

And as for the tournament's web site. Hasn't changed since the bracket was first announced and this now several days after the first teams dropped out. Looks like the media relations person for the tournament is just as competent at those manning the same posts in The Murph.

I guess a lack of communications is all we can expect from a &$%-major school in a &$%-major tournament. Sux big time.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Been waiting anxiously for news and we finally get it from Walters' daily report on Monte's show which can't be heard outside of Mufreesboro. I understand the Covid related issues and sympathize with all involved but some of us have been waiting for news on when and who MT would play and how the tournament (?) would be set up after learning some teams had dropped out. Now, based on SpaceRaiders' hearing Chip we learn (finally) that we won't play until Thursday. Wonder just when (and how) we'll find out more.

And as for the tournament's web site. Hasn't changed since the bracket was first announced and this now several days after the first teams dropped out. Looks like the media relations person for the tournament is just as competent at those manning the same posts in The Murph.

I guess a lack of communications is all we can expect from a &$%-major school in a &$%-major tournament. Sux big time.

I understand your sentiments. Very Frustrating. Looking at MT athletics and mens basketball twitter accounts, you could not tell that the guys were on the road or not, participating or not. Nothing. The last few years I have not been satisfied by our athletics communications/sport information efforts. It has declined every bit as severely as the local dead tree media (dnj) in its main responsibilities.

here is Chip's report archived:

Last edited:
"Blue Raiders will now face Omaha on Thursday at 11:00 a.m. ET/10:00 a.m. CT before concluding their shortened week in Estero against in-state foe East Tennessee State on Friday at 11:00 a.m. ET/10:00 a.m. CT. "

Reactions: Raiders_55
Omaha, MT's first opponent will play today against Austin Peay, an ovc favorite (finished one vote behind Murray State in the preseason poll).

Omaha was a preseason pick for 4th in the Summit League

Last edited:
In checking the remaning other four schools web-sites three of the four are expecting to play three games over the 4 days. (APSU did not give any info beyond the first game when I checked)

Just wondering why MT is (apparently) the only school scheduled to play only 2 games. Did they draw straws or what???

In checking the remaning other four schools web-sites three of the four are expecting to play three games over the 4 days. (APSU did not give any info beyond the first game when I checked)

Just wondering why MT is (apparently) the only school scheduled to play only 2 games. Did they draw straws or what???

Guess we can blame Akron for withdrawing

Middle Tennessee (0-0) vs Omaha (Nebraska-Omaha) (0-1)

Date:
November 26, 2020
Time: 10:00 AM CT
Arena: Hertz Arena
Series Record: First Meeting
Head Coach: Derrin Hansen
Record at UNO: 243-215 (16th Season) Overall Record: Same

TV: FloHoops Talent: Aaron Berlin (PxP), Frank LaSala (Analyst)

Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)

Season Preview: Three man weave blog Summit League preview... Omaha #5

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT