ADVERTISEMENT

Golf: Kermit provided the blueprint for Brennan Webb

I get that certain people want to say we’re taking the highroad and doing the right thing when it comes to coaches leaving. But on the other hand, those people are letting our teams be completely decimated. It’s a serious problem and speaks volumes about the lack of foresight by our athletic leadership.

For schools like ours, it makes it virtually impossible to continue the success from the previous coaching staff when this happens.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I recall being vilified for my view on restricting the kids when Kermit left......

maybe not such a bad idea afterall?

I recall being vilified for my view on restricting the kids when Kermit left......

maybe not such a bad idea afterall?
Maybe, maybe not. It shouldn't be a surprise that kids will want to attend big-name schools, but in terms of programs like our golf and men's basketball, we are just as - if not more - competitive than the programs we are "losing" our coaches to. So it's doubly painful to see the players leave. Apparently our AD isn't enough to make them stay - which is just how it is.

I just don't remember any other G5 program getting raped like this by outgoing coaches and the fact that it has happened now twice within months of each other to MT, it makes me question if MT has a big enough supply of vaseline. Maybe the athletic department needs to receive a case of KY Jelly for future applications....

546221_432293363462152_414413071916848_1530445_96044622_n.jpg

Last edited:
The NCAA just changed the rules. We can’t restrict where a student transfers. And we can’t make current players sit out a year if they transfer in a non-revenue sport like golf.

I guess we could have forced the in coming people to play a year for us against their will prior to transferring out. However, not releasing a player from a NLI is very rare. 93% of the NLI release requests were granted in 2016-2017.

The NCAA just changed the rules. We can’t restrict where a student transfers. And we can’t make current players sit out a year if they transfer in a non-revenue sport like golf.

I guess we could have forced the in coming people to play a year for us against their will prior to transferring out. However, not releasing a player from a NLI is very rare. 93% of the NLI release requests were granted in 2016-2017.

While this may be true, I think these coaches are openly recruiting them...feels wrong.

The university can make coaches sign a Non-compete clause, not touch in players on the roster, or currently committed. if so they pay a penalty.

Reactions: C-Bow

We can restrict it if they want the release. If they don't want to agree to future opponent restrictions, then they can enjoy sitting for a year.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
We can restrict it if they want the release. If they don't want to agree to future opponent restrictions, then they can enjoy sitting for a year.

The NCAA changed the rules this summer. Current students no longer have to ask for a release and the schools can’t restrict who you transfer to. And in golf, there is no 1 year transfer sit and wait.

The single caveat to this - conferences have the power to restrict transfers within conference, but i don’t the CUSA has that in place.

Incoming students that sign a NLI are still bound for a year unless given a release. But like I mentioned, releases are given 93% of the time for in coming players.

I will also say I don’t know when the rule goes into effect yet, but the rule changed.

The NCAA changed the rules this summer. Current students no longer have to ask for a release and the schools can’t restrict who you transfer to. And in golf, there is no 1 year transfer sit and wait.

The single caveat to this - conferences have the power to restrict transfers within conference, but i don’t the CUSA has that in place.

Incoming students that sign a NLI are still bound for a year unless given a release. But like I mentioned, releases are given 93% of the time for in coming players.

I will also say I don’t know when the rule goes into effect yet, but the rule changed.

So we could have still restricted Fagan, Buffen, and Curry if incoming NLI's are bound for a year.

Won’t ever happen on CM’s watch.

It doesn’t happen on most watches. 93% of all requests for release are given full, unrestricted release. The #1 reason for the release requests = coaching change. So it would have been more outside the norm to restrict.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT