ADVERTISEMENT

Golf - Just Wondering

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
The already short-handed MT golf team is playing in the NCAA regionals this week without team leader and C-USA Male golfer of the year: senior Marcus Byrd. I would assume under normal conditions participation in the NCAA tourney your Sr year would be a highlight of your college career.
Article on GoBlueRaider.com just states that he is unable to play and the DNJ article is behind a paywall.
There are lots of rational reasons for a player not playing but when no reason is made public by the school one's thoughts immediately jump to something which not flattering to either the university or the player.
Can anyone provide some information on his absence?

All I saw was that we was ineligible. Not sure from what. Grades maybe?? Regardless, I wouldn't have thought this issue would have snuck up on the staff.

All I saw was that we was ineligible. Not sure from what. Grades maybe?? Regardless, I wouldn't have thought this issue would have snuck up on the staff.

Since the spring semester has ended, and since it was not stated, I am assuming it has something to do with academics/grades. I understand in the case of baseball, we had at least one player not playing last weekend and the rest of the season due to grades, so bad that it reminded me of the Dean Wormer scene with the Deltas (Animal House movie reference).

Last edited:
Since the spring semester has ended, and since it was not stated, I am assuming it has something to do with academics/grades. I understand in the case of baseball, we had at least one player not playing last weekend and the rest of the season due to grades, so bad that it reminded me of the Dean Wormer scene with the Deltas (Animal House movie reference).
0.0!

From DNJ article:
"Marcus may not be able to go with the team, but he is still a part of the Blue Raider family, and we will help him in any way that we can," MTSU athletics director Chris Massaro said. "It's not like he did anything horribly wrong here, but we just could not take him with us to the NCAA Regional."

Not horribly wrong; just kinda, sorta, slightly wrong.

So apparently based on posters conjecture/information this young man apparently believed both that the team would not be playing this late in the season and that he would never need/want to finish his degree. I understand prospective NFL prospects not playing in a meaningless bowl and not doing class work their last semester, I understand one-and done BkB players not doing class work in the spring semester but this hurts my school. Hypothetically I have to wonder if this is not just another casualty of the disastrous coaching change.

Sad; for the young man and for those who care about Blue Raider athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT