ADVERTISEMENT

"God's will be done"

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
Civil War enthusiasts know the real corner-stone of General Robert E. Lee's life was his trust in God. Whatever came to him he always said, "God's will be done." And the last whispered words of General J.E.B. Stuart before he died of a mortal wound were, "I am resigned, God's will be done."

As much as I admire the faith of these two generals, I respectfully disagree with them. The truth of the matter, God doesn't want bad things to happen. Despite what General Lee believed, it wasn't God's will that 51,000 soldiers were casualties (killed, wounded, captured or missing) at the Battle of Gettysburg.

One of my pastors told me many years ago that the only time when his faith was ever shaken was when he was in China serving as a chaplain during World War II. I'm sure seeing the number of atrocities committed against innocent men, women, and children at the hands of the Japanese would shake the faith of any religious person. But despite witnessing such evil firsthand, he knew that God doesn't want innocent people to die. Certainly, God didn't want those nine innocent people in Charleston, South Carolina to die or anyone else who has been a victim of evil. So just try to remember this the next time you hear someone say it's God's will because it's not God's will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT