ADVERTISEMENT

Fireworks

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
are there any left in the state of Tennessee after that end of game display?

Almost embarrassed. Felt sheepish as Marshall fans walked dejectedly past us from the stadium. If there's any three OT game victory that didn't really deserve post game fireworks it is that one. JMO.

I thought it was more because it was the last night game. And they would have done it even if we had lost. Jmo. I could be wrong.

are there any left in the state of Tennessee after that end of game display?

Almost embarrassed. Felt sheepish as Marshall fans walked dejectedly past us from the stadium. If there's any three OT game victory that didn't really deserve post game fireworks it is that one. JMO.

With the pitiful attendance, it may not matter. In addition to the no crowd anti-climatic situation, concern for veterans crossed my mind. MTSU has been really hyping lately the addition of and support for so many new veteran students. Hope it didn't cause any problems regarding PTSD.

With the pitiful attendance, it may not matter. In addition to the no crowd anti-climatic situation, concern for veterans crossed my mind. MTSU has been really hyping lately the addition of and support for so many new veteran students. Hope it didn't cause any problems regarding PTSD.

It in fact did cause a problem for at least one fan. There was a man and his wife sitting in the section next to us. He was hunched over with his ears covered and his wife comforting him. Once the second round of fireworks started, me, my F-I-L, and two other men went over to help. Heck, most of the CSC crew was gone at that point. One of the head CSC people did end up getting a golf cart to assist them to their car.

After talking with this couple, the wife said that they had been coming for the last three years. She said he can deal with ones after we score because he knows they are coming and it's just two. While I love a good fireworks display, I feel MT dropped the ball on not making an announcement, especially on Salute to Veterans Day.

We were also told that MT couldn't return any of the fireworks by law so they had to be used. Not sure if they buy in bulk at the beginning of the season or per each game. That was a bunch of fireworks.

That was the first thing I thought about as I watched it happened. I asked that very question.

I told my wife that it was stupid to have fireworks on veterans day because I know what it is like and the reaction it causes. Over the years I have learned to deal with it to some degree but it still brings back a lot of memories. Mortars and incoming and outgoing artillery are something you don't forget to easily. Even when I know they are coming I still flinch and look around. The Administration really needs to take in to consideration what some of these guys have been through.

So even with a small crowd, there were people effected. Just as I feared. What the heck are people thinking over there in The Murphy Center?! Fireworks on Veterans night?!! Are you kidding me?!

Also, I kind of felt bad for the Marshall fans. Talk about two teams looking like they were trying to lose. Those folks came a long way and stayed. Bout looked like more Marshall fans on that side than MT fans as the game wore on. I'll be clear, I'm glad MTSU won. I'm just saying it was ugly where the OC seemed to almost be working against the team. That poor Marshall kicker kid was just inconsolable.

Reactions: bigbadjohn45
Thought the fireworks were GREAT!

I have a question for you and I think I already know the answer.
Have you ever been through repeated rocket or mortar attacks for weeks or months both day and night or been in a firefight or shot? If you had you might have a different view. Some of us are wired different an can learn to live with it while others can't. I spent only twelve months in Nam and went through all of the above and was shot and I cannot began to imagine what the vets that have been multiple tours in the sandbox experienced. Fireworks are great for kids but not for some adults.

Today I had some channel with some wwii documentary stuff on for awhile and it got me to thinking about this thread and thinking about the cannon I understand they used to shoot off back in the 50s and 60s when MT scored and if the veterans back then experienced any issues with that...

I agree, the fireworks and the salute to veterans is something that should never mix....

Have you ever been through repeated rocket or mortar attacks for weeks or months both day and night or been in a firefight or shot? If you had you might have a different view. Some of us are wired different an can learn to live with it while others can't. I spent only twelve months in Nam and went through all of the above and was shot and I cannot began to imagine what the vets that have been multiple tours in the sandbox experienced. Fireworks are great for kids but not for some adults.

You are right I have never been in a foxhole and endured what you did. And, thanks for your service. I do have friends and family who have experienced war but never heard them say they could not be around fireworks. So did not mean this to be insensitive in any way. And again, thanks for your service. My brother was on the field marching and I love this game every year.

I told my wife that it was stupid to have fireworks on veterans day because I know what it is like and the reaction it causes. Over the years I have learned to deal with it to some degree but it still brings back a lot of memories. Mortars and incoming and outgoing artillery are something you don't forget to easily. Even when I know they are coming I still flinch and look around. The Administration really needs to take in to consideration what some of these guys have been through.

Amen, brother.

God bless you sir, and thank you for your brave service to our country.

I have never been in the military so I wouldnt have made the connection either. I think in this situation someone should in a friendly way just let the athletic department know that this probably wasnt a good idea. Obviously it was a malicious act on their part, just not thought all the way through. And if whoever put this together never served in the military they may not be aware

I have never been in the military so I wouldnt have made the connection either. I think in this situation someone should in a friendly way just let the athletic department know that this probably wasnt a good idea. Obviously it was a malicious act on their part, just not thought all the way through. And if whoever put this together never served in the military they may not be aware

I intend to say something to Chris or Diane tonight at the Basketball game.I also will be politically correct when I do so and not my usual "Redneck" self. My wife will appreciate that I am sure.

Reactions: SmithO1906
I know not every case is the same, but in many cases if those with PTSD know in advance the fireworks are coming, it lessens the effect since they know it coming and can prepare. Just blowing them off without notice is what mainly can trigger the distress. Another thing they could do is give people that have PTSD 5-10 minutes (maybe more) to clear the stadium before they start the big show. Those that want to see the show would be happy to wait, if not tough cookies.

I know not every case is the same, but in many cases if those with PTSD know in advance the fireworks are coming, it lessens the effect since they know it coming and can prepare. Just blowing them off without notice is what mainly can trigger the distress. Another thing they could do is give people that have PTSD 5-10 minutes (maybe more) to clear the stadium before they start the big show. Those that want to see the show would be happy to wait, if not tough cookies.

Yes you are correct every case is not the same and some are worse than others. The main concern is the "Triggers" which are all different depending on the person. A lot of people with PTSD are already walking a thin line just being in the crowd which most avoid like the plague then you throw in the FW's and pow! they start having an episode. I know I was mowing my parents yard in the spring after I got home and a kid threw a pack of lit firecrackers and the next thing I was under my parents car in the driveway.
I talked to the AD last night and someone had already said something so they are aware of the problem and will correct the problem.
Thanks to everyone for your concern. Most people have know idea what kind of effect PTSD has on some people. Some people are wired to accept it and lead a somewhat normal life while others never will.
Again thanks for the understanding and GO BLUE RAIDERS!

ban ALL celebrations.

How 'bout that?

Then we ain't gotta worry about offendin' nobody.

Nobody say crap.

Just sit there. All stoic.

Don't smile or nuthin'.

Seriously.

Asking the president or AD to ban anything celebratory is wrong. Leave if you know it affects you. Don't make everyone zig just because you have to zag.

Reactions: ToddMalone
ban ALL celebrations.

How 'bout that?

Then we ain't gotta worry about offendin' nobody.

Nobody say crap.

Just sit there. All stoic.

Don't smile or nuthin'.

Seriously.

I don't think anyone said anything about doing away with celebrations because I really think that most of the veterans appreciate it that I talked to. As far as offending someone I could give a rats ass who is offended and that includes you. I yell and jump up and down and disturb people around me and I smile and have a good time. The fireworks don't really bother me but it does have a bad effect on some of the men and women that fought for the freedom that apparently you take for granted and don't appreciate. That's just how I feel.

This post also goes for the Zig-Zagger that posted after you.

Not going overboard for bans and all that type stuff. To me, it's along the lines of being a respectful and polite host. You invite veterans. In addition to some props thrown the way of veterans, a little extra attendance at games is a bonus. When you invite them though, it's just respectful and considerate to consider things like fireworks.

I also say this as MTSU has been publicly pushing it admissions and support for new veterans, i.e. new student-veterans center. Many of these young veterans are still trying to learn to cope with PTSD. It just seems somewhat of a disconnect that MTSU publicly pushes the veteran thing, invites veterans, then fireworks on same night. If MTSU is supporting vets and a veteran univ like MTSU is claiming, then it seems they might have chosen to have those fireworks on a different night.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
To clarify, it's being a hospitable host. Sure there is care for individuals. As it relates to this board, it's about setting the right environment for good attendance at ball games. Then to where those people might want to come back again. Sadly, MTSU is not exactly burning up the attendance charts. MTSU needs all the fans they can get. There's some problems over at MTSU with a suitable environment for good attendance for football games.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
You can send the dj a song request on Twitter. Not sure if he has any Conway Twitty, but you can ask.

but will they consider playing it if it's not hip-hop booty dancin' music?
Thanks for sharing the tip. It's good to know we can send in request. (although besides this message board, I no longer use sociopath media, so I can't twitter in requests. - earlier this year I decided to go "back to the 80's" regarding communicating with friends and family - ).

Reactions: dukewayne
Thanks for sharing the tip. It's good to know we can send in request. (although besides this message board, I no longer use sociopath media, so I can't twitter in requests. - earlier this year I decided to go "back to the 80's" regarding communicating with friends and family - ).
Just like the Kansas City Royals did.

Since we're onto the suggestion box type thing, I have a suggestion. Not a complaint or criticism mind you, just a suggestion:

I like all the modern uniforms and sharp look, but the number font or whatever they call it on jerseys is a tad too small. Since the new uniform numbers, I can't even read the numbers half the time. That's even on HDTV. This weeks game in the rain? Forget it. I couldn't read nary a number. I couldn't tell who was in or who was making plays.

I'm all about being in the 80s. Perhaps a little too much. Same regarding social media. Actually started deactivating social media accts. I'm ashamed to admit I reactivated Facebook. After about the 3rd or 4th person contacted me to ask me what happened to me and where was I, I went ahead and reactivated Facebook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT