ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Fall Camp, 2024

I love this. Learning to adapt to cater to your players' strengths rather than forcing them to adapt to you...good luck with getting 20yr olds to adapt.

Reactions: Shayne_Pickering
After watching these videos, & seeing the drive & communication skills of the coaching staff there is one huge thought that comes to mind. How the devil did CDM get these coaches especially the defensive co-ordinator, & special team's coach to come to a smaller G5 school? After seeing & listening to some of these guys in even short interviews you would have imagined a lot of P4 schools would have been clamoring to have them on their staff's.
Anyway, count me as super impressed. The supposed P4 schools losses in not grabbing these coaches up are MT's gains. CDM has to be one heck of a salesman.

Reactions: scjohnny
After watching these videos, & seeing the drive & communication skills of the coaching staff there is one huge thought that comes to mind. How the devil did CDM get these coaches especially the defensive co-ordinator, & special team's coach to come to a smaller G5 school? After seeing & listening to some of these guys in even short interviews you would have imagined a lot of P4 schools would have been clamoring to have them on their staff's.
Anyway, count me as super impressed. The supposed P4 schools losses in not grabbing these coaches up are MT's gains. CDM has to be one heck of a salesman.
I agree 100%. I personally feel CDM's NFL experience helped. Yes he was only there for a few years, but it gives him an extra level of connections that the previous staff just didn't have.

Not to mention his college stops. Gundy has been around so long he knows everyone. Same for Harbaugh from when Mason was at Stanford. Those are both easy calls to say "hey, who do you see that I should look at?" Add to that time talking to everyone at every level while with ESPN.

Mason has also mentioned before how he was hired here early in the cycle giving him time to truly build a staff he wanted. Has said he didn't have that at Vandy as he wasn't hired until January there. We hired him almost 6 weeks earlier in the cycle.

And.... Let's be real. It's so much easier to get decent players here than at Vandy. Even with NIL. VU's academic requirements plus before NIL limited them a whole lot. The school kept it's overall student trust money away from the athletic program which is like 2B now. So they couldn't lure anyone there over a UT, UF, UGA, or BAMA. They still can't now with NIL. However, with Jerry Kill going there, they did get Diego Pavia to portal in. That's the QB who throttled Auburn and took NMSU to a 10 win season. It's crazy that Mason had 2 6 win seasons there and crushed us 4 years straight. With the guys we are getting commitments from now vs. under Stock really tells the story as to why we weren't improving. It's like laughable now.

excerpts:

"....Mason and the Blue Raiders have eight 2025 commitments from Middle Tennessee: three-star prospects D.J. Taylor (Riverdale RB), Kyle Larkin (Ravenwood OL), Ben Hubbard (Brentwood WR), Neo Clifton (Brentwood Academy WR) and Rai'keyrean Chandler (Shelbyville RB), as well as Rockvale's Bryan, Independence athlete Taylor Lawrence and Ensworth linebacker Micah Smith....."

"...MTSU signed no Middle Tennessee area players in former coach Rick Stockstill's last high school signing class (2023). The 2022 class had two signees (one from Rutherford County, Oakland OL Ethan Ellis) and the 2021 class had one from the Midstate (Tullahoma safety Jakobe Thomas)....."

Nashville channel 5 sports Steve Layman just ran another short about MT football fall practice along with its normal Tennessee Vols & Titans reports this evening.
As news was signing off Steve & the News 5 anchor took a moment to talk about how excited they were to see how things are developing in the Boro under Mason's direction this fall, & wanting him to strongly succeed. I rarely have heard Layman say or bring up one positive thing about MT athletics. Great to see some positive enthusiasm from Nashville media. Have the feeling Nashville's currently showing more attention to MT football than ever before. Can't put a price on how positive local media exposure like that is also free advertising for the program. Not only can help the team's growing ticket sales, but also places MT in the minds of young recruits in the area considering their next school. Hope it keeps going.

and on main streets sports podcast, Chip's segment had some good information. That segment begins at the 1:05:45 mark.

Love that coach Mason brought Luke home. I wonder if the situation would ever be right for his brother, Walt, to return here too.

As a young man who started school here in the fall of 1980 can definitely say Chip's stats about the size of MT & Murfreesboro in 1981 are dead on. Tremendous change in the 'Boro & university in these past +40 years.
When I moved with my family here from McMinnville in summer of '69 Murfreesboro was only about 23k. What is stranger McMinnville in all these years is still almost same identical population, & has hardly changed at all.

This was awesome!

I hope they have some of that merch available for the opener. My wallet's going to take a beating if so. I want that "MIDDLE TENNESSEE" black block hat that Mason's had on.
You and me both! I want some of the Boro Built/Middle Made merch as well.

MTSUGear (Lightning's) is lacking for Nike or other name brand and Alumni Hall has more urange and tristar stuff than anything. Sideline/coach gear should be available every year.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT