ADVERTISEMENT

Excited about the new Volleyball Coach

CNEagles.com:

Ahiers named head coach at Middle Tennessee

Carson-Newman volleyball coach Dan Ahiers was announced the head coach at Middle Tennessee State Thursday afternoon.

Ahiers becomes the 10th head coach in Blue Raider history as the Blue Raiders went to six straight NCAA Tournaments from 2006-11, but have gone 44-79 since that string. The Middle Tennessee release can be viewed by clicking here.

"Carson-Newman was the perfect school for me to start my head coaching career," Ahiers said. "It has a great athletic director in Allen Morgan, unbelievable and talented head coaches that helped mentor me and more resources than most Division II schools have. I'll never be able to thank the Carson-Newman family enough for what they did for me and my family. In my eyes they are the premiere Christian university in the Southeast."

In two years at Mossy Creek, Ahiers compiled a 56-15 overall record and a 38-6 mark in South Atlantic Conference play. The San Diego native engineered two of the most prolific seasons in Carson-Newman volleyball history going 4-2 in NCAA Championship action over two seasons. In 25 seasons and five prior coaches, the Eagles held a 2-4 mark in the postseason.

"On behalf of Carson-Newman, I want to thank Dan Ahiers for service to the Eagles," Morgan said. "He took Carson-Newman volleyball to new heights. We wish him all of the success in the world and know that he will always be an Eagle at heart."

Ahiers coached 10 players to All-South Atlantic Conference selections, five student-athletes to All-Region nods and the program's first All-American, Jenna Wilson, in his two years.....

Reactions: MTLynn
The write up from when he was hired at Carson Newman:

http://www.cneagles.com/sports/w-volley/2013-14/releases/20140113xv1iv1

Dan Ahiers press conference

JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. – Carson-Newman athletic director Allen Morgan introduced Carson-Newman's seventh volleyball coach Dan Ahiers to the media and the C-N family during a news conference Monday afternoon.

"The thing that impressed me about Dan Ahiers," Morgan said in his opening remarks. "Is that he embraced our mission and our vision as a university. He lives within a desire and commitment to excellence in Christ's Light."

Ahiers comes to Mossy Creek from Seattle University where he spent a year as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. He helped the Redhawks place two players on the WAC All-Freshman and All-Conference teams while another – Iris Ivanis – earned WAC Freshman of the Year honors.

"I've got to thank God for giving me the chance to come to Carson-Newman," Ahiers said. "This is a fine institution with a Christ-centered background that goes with the Christian beliefs that my wife and I have."

Prior to Seattle, Ahiers spent three years at the University of California Santa Barbara coaching under the legendary Kathy Gregory. In her 38 seasons as the first head coach in UC Santa Barbara women's volleyball history, "The Queen" amassed the fifth-most wins in Division I history with a career record of 882-412 (.682), guided the Gauchos to 27 NCAA Championships, and saw her teams finished ranked among the nation's top-25 on 27 occasions.

"Kathy is my biggest mentor, she's essentially the Ken Sparks of women's volleyball," Ahiers said. "I want to teach the same things that she did – it's about mind, body and soul. You get those three things working; you'll create fine young women. We want them to be go out and be difference makers in the community."

While at UC Santa Barbara, Ahiers helped produce five All-Americans and 10 all-conference selections in his three years with the Gauchos. As recruiting coordinator, he put together a pair of classes that were recognized as being top 30 in the nation.

"I wouldn't recommend anyone more for the job," Ahiers' former head coach Gregory said. "He's one of the hardest working people I've ever met. He will outwork anyone to be successful. He's ready for the position because he has all the qualifications and necessary facets to be successful. He's a great recruiter, he's a great trainer and he's a great communicator."

Dan is married to Holli Ahiers.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT