ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Diamond Head Classic Game 3 (ESPNU): Miami(FL), 7:30PM, Monday, December 25, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Miami(FL)

Series: Tied 0-0
Location: Coral Gables, Fla. Founded: 1925 Enrollment: 16,188
Colors: Orange, Green & White Nickname: Hurricanes Conference: Atlantic Coast Conference Facility: Watsco Center (7,972)
Head Coach: Jim Larranaga Providence, 1971 UM Record: 139-69 (6 seasons) Overall Record: 609-403 (33 seasons)
2016-17 Record: 21-12, 10-8 (T-7th ACC) 2017 Postseason: NCAA First Round
Starters R/L: 3/2 Lettermen R/L: 7/2 Newcomers: 4

excerpt:

...Out at Stan Sheriff Center on Monday night, we’ve got Christmas Day college basketball action coming from the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders and the Miami Hurricanes.

Middle Tennessee enters this game with an 8-3 record so far. The Blue Raiders have lost two of their last three games, falling to Auburn on December 16 and USC on Saturday. In that Trojans game, Middle Tennessee’s top scorer was Nate King, with 28 points and 11 rebounds.

King leads the Blue Raiders in scoring average (22.9 PPG) and rebounding (6.9 RPG) so far. Also averaging in double-digits for Middle Tennessee are Giddy Potts (12.4 PPG) and Brandon Walters (11.5 PPG; 4.6 RPG).

Over on the Miami side, they are currently sitting at 10-1 overall on the year. The Hurricanes were cruising to open up the year with 10 straight wins, but were shocked by New Mexico State 63-54 on Saturday. In that New Mexico State game, Hurricanes guard Dejan Vasiljevic led the team on 15 points.

Dewan Huell is the top Hurricanes player this year with 13.3 PPG and 6.5 RPG, while Vasiljevic has 11.4 PPG. Also in the double-digit club for Miami are Bruce Brown (10.2 PPG; 7.5 RPG) and Ja’Quan Newton (10.2 PPG).

The Blue Raiders are 5-1 ATS in their last six Monday games and 26-12 ATS in their last 38 games overall. Middle Tennessee is also 10-4 ATS in their last 14 games following a straight up loss and 0-4 ATS in their last four neutral-site games.

Meanwhile, the Hurricanes are 5-1 ATS in their last six games overall and 5-1 ATS in their last six non-conference games. Miami is also 4-1 ATS in their last five Monday games and 5-2 ATS in their last seven games following an ATS loss.

Middle Tennessee gave USC a good game on Saturday, and were actually ahead 43-42 at the break. The Trojans pulled away late, however, and the Blue Raiders took the loss 89-84. As for Miami, they’re reeling after that New Mexico State loss, and as bad as the Aggies shot, the Hurricanes shot worse in that one. Miami is prone to bouts of futility on the scoreboard; they’ve scored fewer than 60 points in two of their last three games.....

I really like the spot we are in here. We scored 84 last game, they scored 54. Being able to find the basket when playing at OOC tournaments is very important. Taking Blue Raiders +220 on the money line.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
This is a huge game. Lots of betters will be watching this one. Only game on besides the NFL game which should be over by half time.

Miami is a very athletic team and will come out playing super hard after losing to NMSU. I hope we are ready for the early barrage. We cannot afford to get into a big hole in the first half.

Other than the C-USA tournament, this game is our single most important game of the year. If we can get this one, we can go 15+ wins in C-USA, not win the C-USA tourney, and have a chance at an at-large bid.

Lose this one, ad we pretty much have to win the C-USA tourney to make the NCAA.

I'm excited about this game - big opportunity

Amazing start. If we can keep up this intensity we can win.

8 makes me into the game and we are hacking. 9 fouls. I just do not understand

The good news is we are up 9. But, fouling way too much.

This is going to end badly. The second Miami made a run our guys lost all confidence.

Not really. They've made 1 more 3 than us. Wouldn't call that hot. Miami is winning this game because they're outrebounding us and we have committed 6 more fouls, with many of them on our key players. This has the potential to get real ugly if we continue with the stupid fouls and keep getting outrebounded.

Walters and King gotta have a good second half. I've given up expecting much from our guards.

Yep... if games are called tight it will not be to our advantage. We are much better if we can work our rotations. The number of minutes guys go dictate how well we play. Walters, King, Potts, and Dixon must stay on the floor logging major minutes. If they don’t then it is a major disadvantage for the good guys.
Simmons was a little disappointing the last 2 games because of lapses on D. Johnson, however, really performed well as did Gamble. Potts is just not getting the number of looks he got last year.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
Walters and Dixon have to stay in the game. Stupid fouls on top of phantom fouls just take them out of the game. End of the out of conference games now, and no real quality wins that would help our case in case the Raiders end without the auto bid at the end of the conference tournament. At large bid not merited based on the results, IMO.

Walters and Dixon have to stay in the game. Stupid fouls on top of phantom fouls just take them out of the game. End of the out of conference games now, and no real quality wins that would help our case in case the Raiders end without the auto bid at the end of the conference tournament. At large bid not merited based on the results, IMO.

Couldn't agree more, both of these guys get too loose and pick up a few fouls, especially Walters. What is concerning is both of these players are so inconsistent. That said, last night Miami shot 60% from the field - hard to beat. We ended up shooting more FT than them and shot well from the field, just got beat by a team extremely hot. The USC is the game that got away.

We have lost 3 or our last 4 and now go on the road for the first 3 games in conference play. Really need a win at UAB.

Thought we would fare better in this tournament.

I'm disappointed but clearly didn't expect us to win against either USC or Miami. (We definitely played 3 of the four best teams in the tourney and each game was one possession late)

Considering that we lost to two teams each of whom were ranked in the top ten earlier in the season and are both loaded with 3, 4 and 5 star players (we have one: King - check it for yourself) it's no disgrace. We both outplayed and out coached both USC & Miami taking into consideration talent level. Never folded when the going got tough.

My biggest disappointment is in Shelton-Szmidt, Thomas, and Hawthorne. We really need for them to start showing the ability to make contributions. I don't think Simpson or Sims will either be offensive standouts but they won't beat beat you when on the floor. Expecting Simmons to show marked improvement once conference play starts.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Good assessment. I knew with the Auburn + Diamond Head, we could come out with more losses than wins but just wanted to knock off one in the process. I agree with what you said in Shelton-Szmidt, Thomas, and Hawthorne. Scratching my head a bit with them.

I'm disappointed but clearly didn't expect us to win against either USC or Miami. (We definitely played 3 of the four best teams in the tourney and each game was one possession late)

Considering that we lost to two teams each of whom were ranked in the top ten earlier in the season and are both loaded with 3, 4 and 5 star players (we have one: King - check it for yourself) it's no disgrace. We both outplayed and out coached both USC & Miami taking into consideration talent level. Never folded when the going got tough.

My biggest disappointment is in Shelton-Szmidt, Thomas, and Hawthorne. We really need for them to start showing the ability to make contributions. I don't think Simpson or Sims will either be offensive standouts but they won't beat beat you when on the floor. Expecting Simmons to show marked improvement once conference play starts.

Dixon has not performed well since Auburn. I am concerned about him. He just doesn't have the athletic ability needed to take on a really good gaurd. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT