ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Football Team

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
You cannot rest on your accomplishments. 3-1 is nice but what if you lose the next 4 games and the record is suddenly 3-5 ? You will be the hunted now after beating Miami. UTSA is going to want that shine.

You have to continue to play with swagger and a chip on your shoulder. The second you relax and think you can cruise to a win, you will get blown out.

UTSA is coming into Murfreesboro as a 6.5 point favorite. Vegas thinks UTSA is a touchdown better than you, in your own house!

What are you going to do about that?

Yeah, all this JMU game disappointment should settle down. They were the 3rd best team at the FCS level last year. Just for argument sake, do any of us think that we would've won a game against North Dakota State anytime in the last 12 years? That's a big HELL NO from me. Now...should we have scored a couple more times, absolutely. And if that game was played again today, I think it would be a little closer, but the outcome is probably the same. They are a damn good team, and it's still showing.

Now, onto the bigger picture. I'm in the same position as a lot of you are. This is year #17 under this coach, so quite the sample size. Saturday was a huge win for this program, arguably the biggest and most impressive win ever. BUT, that win will mean absolutely nothing if we don't go at least 2-1 in the next three games, and being fully competitive in that loss if we do lose. And honestly....the 1 loss cannot be to WKU. It just can't, period. Lose close to UTSA at home, or on the road at UAB, ok fine. Those two teams are gone next year, it is what it is. But WKU is our biggest rival, whether anyone (including Stock) wants to admit it or not, and they have had our number in recent years (3 straight and 6 of the last 7).

THE only goal at this point is the one I've never seen with this program in the now 25 years I've been a student/alum/fan, and one that hasn't been achieved in the D1A/FBS era. An outright conference championship. Anything less than that, until it happens, is a failure in my eyes. I admittedly am not as big of an MBB fan/follower as I am for FB, but I gave Kermit Davis as much of a hard time as I felt he deserved as I have for Stock these last several years. Kermit finally made it happen and notched some huge wins along the way, too, and I was happy and gave him his props and due credit.

I am very happy for this group of players, big accomplishment that they should absolutely be proud of. But the moment they woke up the next day, all focus should be on UTSA and the goal of a championship, and doing whatever it takes to make that happen.

After the WKU game, if we're 6-2, 2-1 or better, we should no doubt run the table from there, and be in the championship game on 12/2.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I'm ok with losing to UAB. Well, not ok with any loss. But out of the three, UAB. We need to win Friday to continue the momentum and keep the crowds at Floyd, as well as respect for Byard.

And I'm with you on WKU. Again, home and a rival. We have this public perception built after the Miami game and if we want to keep it and maintain a TSU crowd, we need to win the two home games.

Do that, and even losing to UAB, we still will be 5-2 out of the bye all with winnable games left. Stock has NEVER had an undefeated season at home. Let's make this the year.

That being said, don't let the foot off the gas and win the next 3!

Yeah, all this JMU game disappointment should settle down. They were the 3rd best team at the FCS level last year. Just for argument sake, do any of us think that we would've won a game against North Dakota State anytime in the last 12 years? That's a big HELL NO from me. Now...should we have scored a couple more times, absolutely. And if that game was played again today, I think it would be a little closer, but the outcome is probably the same. They are a damn good team, and it's still showing.

Now, onto the bigger picture. I'm in the same position as a lot of you are. This is year #17 under this coach, so quite the sample size. Saturday was a huge win for this program, arguably the biggest and most impressive win ever. BUT, that win will mean absolutely nothing if we don't go at least 2-1 in the next three games, and being fully competitive in that loss if we do lose. And honestly....the 1 loss cannot be to WKU. It just can't, period. Lose close to UTSA at home, or on the road at UAB, ok fine. Those two teams are gone next year, it is what it is. But WKU is our biggest rival, whether anyone (including Stock) wants to admit it or not, and they have had our number in recent years (3 straight and 6 of the last 7).

THE only goal at this point is the one I've never seen with this program in the now 25 years I've been a student/alum/fan, and one that hasn't been achieved in the D1A/FBS era. An outright conference championship. Anything less than that, until it happens, is a failure in my eyes. I admittedly am not as big of an MBB fan/follower as I am for FB, but I gave Kermit Davis as much of a hard time as I felt he deserved as I have for Stock these last several years. Kermit finally made it happen and notched some huge wins along the way, too, and I was happy and gave him his props and due credit.

I am very happy for this group of players, big accomplishment that they should absolutely be proud of. But the moment they woke up the next day, all focus should be on UTSA and the goal of a championship, and doing whatever it takes to make that happen.

After the WKU game, if we're 6-2, 2-1 or better, we should no doubt run the table from there, and be in the championship game on 12/2.
Losing to JMU on the road with all the excitement of it being their first FBS game is one thing. Losing 44-7 is completely unacceptable and beating Miami does not make up for it. Beating a team like Miami has not been common since Stock has been here. Laying an egg to begin the year has been all too common. The truth is neither the JMU or Miami games should sway any opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT