FAU/MAR vs. (3) Old Dominion (ASN) - 8:00p

Friday, March 10
Semifinal # 1 (CBS Sports Network) - 11:30p
Semifinal # 2 (CBS Sports Network) - 2:00p

Saturday, March 12
Championship Game (CBS Sports Network) - 7:30p

All Times CENTRAL

Last edited:
Curious as to how big the crowds will be in Birmingham.. I'm guessing the UAB folks will be out in droves..

Curious as to how big the crowds will be in Birmingham.. I'm guessing the UAB folks will be out in droves..
Last night may have left a bad taste in their mouths. They lost to FIU...again.

Interesting matchup between WKU/UTSA. WKU won by 15 the first time. Wonder who MT matches up better with..

WKU, UTEP, and La. Tech will likely be our opponents. That's murders row IMO

Rice absolutely scares me more. We were up on UTEP by 15 in the second half and had a complete brain fart. If we face them again i guarantee our guys will be ready.The Rice game was much closer throughout than the UTEP game was and they have 2 very capable scorers.

interview with Oregon radio station:

Nice find. I was thinking, how did Kermit end up on a sports radio show out in Oregon? I was thinking, the MT footprint must really be growing! The answer may have been in the interview that I had briefly forgotten about, Kermit coached out at Idaho. People very well may still remember his coaching days out there in that region. Whatever the case, good on Kermit for taking the time to do good publicity like that radio show all the way out in the upper Northwest.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Last year, I recall thinking that the 2 seed ended up helping MT once the conf tourney bracket came out. It just seemed that MT was looking at some favorable matchups in the advancing rounds.

I wish I could say the same for this year. You would think with a 1 seed that would likely be the case. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely glad MT has the 1 seed. MT will definitely need to bring the A game though to bring the nets home.

You don't want to slack vs UTSA as just about any conference game. Survive and advance, and dang! Either potential opponent does not leave one with that feeling of, "oh what a good matchup for MT." The upside: If it's UTEP, it is an opportunity to get some payback! One would suspect that motivation would not be a problem if MT plays UTEP. Plus, MT is not playing them on the backend of a long fatiguing road trip. As I posted on here earlier this season, I thought the win at Rice would be better looking than it was at the time. I think that remained true at the end of the season. Rice has some good players, but at least MT beat them at their place. While B'ham is a neutral court, it would seem that a little advantage would lean MT's way considering the distance out to Texas compared to MT's proximity.

Regardless of various wins and matchups, it would seem that LaTech will be formidable in the conf tourney.

uab guard Hakeem Baxter at it again. He needs to be ejected

Was going to ask if anyone else is watching these 1st round games. Almost another close one for UAB. Thought they were going to mix it up there for a moment.

...UTEP is the only league team to beat top-seeded Middle Tennessee, and its losses to the second (Louisiana Tech) and third (Old Dominion) seeds came by just a point apiece......
Miners hope turnaround season ends with a title

Most every season when MT plays UTEP, the game makes me uneasy. A coach who knows Kermit and his ways. Their coach is also an old veteran who has been around and knows what he is doing. Lastly, he recruits players that seem capable of being big time players. They usually have good size, skill, and athleticism.

It sure is a good turnaround story. It's hard not to pull for a good turnaround story like that. This season in particular, it has been a little irritating as a MT fan. C-USA needs to win in the OOC schedule. That is where so much ground is gained for the ever so important RPI rankings for the teams and particularly the conference. It really stinks that teams such as UTEP were terrible in non-conf play. Their RPI is terrible and it brings the conference down. Then they start playing better in conference, but the damage is already done.

If it was just UTEP this season, it wouldn't be quite so bad. Being that most of C-USA performed poorly in ooc play, it has really made MT's at-large chances that much more difficult. Not to mention it brings the conf down in general.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT