ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CBS Sports' 1-351 college basketball rankings

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
listed MT and all opponents in the top 150.

excerpts:

45. VCU
Will Wade has a really good lead guard in JeQuan Lewis, an all-league beast in Mo Alie-Cox, and plenty of other help returning from last season (Jordan Burgess, Justin Tillman). The Rams are probably a bubble team this season, but at the same time, I would put them in the mix to win the A-10 regular season given the way their league schedule breaks down.

61. VANDERBILT
Bryce Drew takes over for Kevin Stallings. Matthew Fisher-Davis will be the star here, and the Commodores still have enough talent left over from last season to be a top-five team in the SEC.1

76. MIDDLE TENNESSEE
Giddy Potts is a name to know. The Blue Raiders were the darlings of the 2016 NCAA Tournament, and Potts was the best 3-pointer shooter in the nation last season. Reggie Upshaw is also back for this team. I'm high on Middle. It's just such a well-rounded team.

80. BELMONT
I'm stumping for Rick Byrd again. Belmont should have the best team in the Ohio Valley. Evan Bradds will be a leading candidate for league player of the year -- considering he won the award last season. The Bruins have size, efficiency on offense and consistency on the roster.

88. UAB
I'm probably lower on UAB than most, but I think Jerrod Haase (one spots above) moving to a new job puts this team back a little bit. Rob Ehsan is now the coach. The Blazers could actually help C-USA be a two-bid league if they can do damage with their schedule. Chris Cokley and William Lee should help fortify the league's best frontcourt.

108. OLE MISS
Andy Kennedy's team loses Stefan Moody and in the process loses one of the most entertaining players in the sport. There's hope and revival in Oxford, as new facilities have the program feeling a charge. I don't see this team having the defense to stop top-five SEC competition, however.

112. MURRAY STATE
Bryce Jones is a player that should make any OVC coach's top-five list for all-league. He could pop to 16 ppg. The Racers have a very good coach in Matt McMahon.

116. OLD DOMINION
Jeff Jones coaches one of the slowest offenses in the country. The Monarchs will be in the mix near the top of the conference, but they'll have to overcome losing Trey Freeman, who was the most valuable all-around player for this team last season in C-USA.

124. GEORGIA STATE
I would be shocked if Georgia State didn't win 20 this season. It went 16-14 a year ago, has Indiana transfer Jeremy Hollowell ready to step in and perform, and five of the six biggest volume production guys are back on the roster. College hoops can always use more Ron Hunter. Yes, the Sun Belt is good enough at the top to have three teams in the top 125 in college hoops.

126. MARSHALL
Will be well-oiled and capable of scoring with any team in C-USA. Jon Elmore and Ryan Taylor will compete with each other to lead the team in scoring.

134. LOUISIANA TECH
The loss of Alex Hamilton is something La. Tech won't be able to replace with just one player this season. Miami transfer Omar Sherman will have to step in and produce to keep the Bulldogs in the thick of Conference USA's race.

138. WESTERN KENTUCKY
I'm going to pump the brakes just a bit on WKU here. This is a team that will probably be in the top 60 next year, but Rick Stansbury takes over the program and there's work to be done. It will be a factor in C-USA, but I doubt it threatens to steal a bid. Justin Johnson is the name to know.

144. RICE
The Owls are going to make moves this season because A) Mike Rhoades is a very good coach and B) Marcus Evans will be a top-15 point guard in the country by the time we get to February. I think Rice finishes in the top half of C-USA.

147. TENNESSEE STATE
Tahjere McCall is the best defensive player in the Ohio Valley. TSU won 20 games last season and will be a top-three team in the conference in 2016-17. Wayne Martin is another name to know. Young Dana Ford is setting himself up to thrive in Nashville.

I would say this is a very fair ranking for losing two starters and a key guard that played his best when it really counted. Harrison is the guy that I think we will struggle to replicate his astronomical 3-poing shooting. Other than that I think we are reloading.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT