8.UTEP41
9.Charlotte39
10.FIU20
11.UTSA18

C-USA MBB Preseason Player of the Year
Jordan Walker, UAB

C-USA MBB Preseason All-Conference Honorees
NameYr.Pos.Hometown
Alijah Martin, Florida Atlantic*So.GSummit, Miss.
Cobe Williams, LA TechJr.GDallas, Texas
Teafale Lenard Jr., Middle TennesseeSo.GSnyder, Texas
Tylor Perry, North Texas*Sr.GFort Coffee, Okla.
Quincy Olivari, RiceJr.GAtlanta, Ga.
Eric Gaines, UABSo.GLithonia, Ga.
Jordan Walker, UAB*Sr.GLong Island, N.Y.
Emmanuel Akot, WKUGr.GWinnipeg, Manitoba
Dayvion McKnight, WKU*Jr.GShelbyville, Ky.
Jamarion Sharp, WKUSr.CHopkinsville, Ky.

* - 2021-22 All-Conference USA selection

I think putting us at 4 is fair; although, I believe this team is capable of winning the conference this year. There wasn't a game last year except maybe the regular season one against UAB where it wasn't close and then we should have beaten that same team in the conference tourney.

These guys can run & jump with anyone on their schedule. Big key last year was our improved intensity in all facets of the game. We've had some big coaching turnover this year. If the players can maintain or build on same intensity with new coaching realignment they will be near the top of the conference. Weston at the 1 position will be huge for our success. Big challenge though, all top 5 preseason picks have improved. Can't wait to see how all the top CUSA teams compete this year, but especially our Blue Raiders.

Schedule is deceptively tough IMO. I see a world where we struggle to get 20 wins. I worry about a “sophomore blues” type of year with a clear lack of seniors on this team. Dishman is the only one.

have Weston, Lenard, bufford, etc. all stayed focused and worked hard this off season ? Or do they think they already have the thing won and just big chillin ? It’s not uncommon to see younger players who experience success to take a step back and get humbled the next year. I dearly hope that isn’t us this year.

Losing Sims and Jefferson is going to effect us more than people realize. They hit some big shots for us last year and shot the nets out some nights. It’s hard to be a starter and be depended on to do that night in and night out. Lenard, Weston, King, and others looked great last year off the bench but how will they do when expected to start and pile up the stat sheet every night ? I know Weston started a few games last year but it’s different when you are expected to do it every night and be a leader.

I hope some of the new faces surprise. That’s what made last years team so good, the emergence of Weston, Lenard, etc.

top half of CUSA looks deadly. I think CUSA is loaded this year and very interested to see OOC results. MT must hold up its end of the bargain and win most of these OOC mid major games.

Schedule is deceptively tough IMO. I see a world where we struggle to get 20 wins. I worry about a “sophomore blues” type of year with a clear lack of seniors on this team. Dishman is the only one.

have Weston, Lenard, bufford, etc. all stayed focused and worked hard this off season ? Or do they think they already have the thing won and just big chillin ? It’s not uncommon to see younger players who experience success to take a step back and get humbled the next year. I dearly hope that isn’t us this year.

Losing Sims and Jefferson is going to effect us more than people realize. They hit some big shots for us last year and shot the nets out some nights. It’s hard to be a starter and be depended on to do that night in and night out. Lenard, Weston, King, and others looked great last year off the bench but how will they do when expected to start and pile up the stat sheet every night ? I know Weston started a few games last year but it’s different when you are expected to do it every night and be a leader.

I hope some of the new faces surprise. That’s what made last years team so good, the emergence of Weston, Lenard, etc.

top half of CUSA looks deadly. I think CUSA is loaded this year and very interested to see OOC results. MT must hold up its end of the bargain and win most of these OOC mid major games.

Who do you like this weekend in Bowling Green???

Honestly, in my humble opinion… this looks like a conference that should send 2… maybe even 3 teams to the NCAA tournament. It all depends on how everyone holds up through their non-conference schedule. UAB has far and away the highest team expectations nationally. WKU UNT and MTSU all have something to prove. Going to be VERY interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Honestly, in my humble opinion… this looks like a conference that should send 2… maybe even 3 teams to the NCAA tournament. It all depends on how everyone holds up through their non-conference schedule. UAB has far and away the highest team expectations nationally. WKU UNT and MTSU all have something to prove. Going to be VERY interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Can't count your chickens until the eggs hatch.

It is traditionally extremely difficult for a league like CUSA to get two bids. Anyone know the last time it happened? Was it MT's at-large around 10 years ago?

No way they give us 3 bids unless we have multiple teams approaching 30 wins which seems nearly impossible.

Someone in the top 4 or top 5 of the league is going to have a bad year and unexpectedly crap out. So you're looking at probably 2-3 NCAA quality tourney teams, but something always happens to cut us short and down to a 1 bid league.

Agreed. I am saying it “looks like” a league where it has 2-3 teams in. I can easily see UAB as an at large. The next 3 are all teams that are capable of making it there. That’s what I’m saying. That speaks to the strength of the league this year.

Yes. I can see 2 in with this scenario. UAB has approximately 27 or more wins, a 45 or better Ken Pom rating, & a close loss in the finals of conf tournament to either MT, WKU, or UNT. The tournament victor would also need a nice resume of similar victories & a Ken Pom of 60'ish in rating. Or at least a handful of acknowledged votes in coaches poll while still not being in top 25. Tough but doable. If it will ever happen, this is the year.

Yes. I can see 2 in with this scenario. UAB has approximately 27 or more wins, a 45 or better Ken Pom rating, & a close loss in the finals of conf tournament to either MT, WKU, or UNT. The tournament victor would also need a nice resume of similar victories & a Ken Pom of 60'ish in rating. Or at least a handful of acknowledged votes in coaches poll while still not being in top 25. Tough but doable. If it will ever happen, this is the year.
On second thought, with the way NCAA is with G5 schools. Make UAB's kem pom rating 35 or better. And UAB a top 30-35 rating in coaches poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT