ADVERTISEMENT

Buster gone?

His name has been tossed around at a lot of different places over the years, but I gotta say...Arkansas State?

I'm surprised.

His name has been tossed around at a lot of different places over the years, but I gotta say...Arkansas State?

I'm surprised.
Me too. Would think if the big offer didn't come now he could pick his spot if we put up similar numbers next year. Not worried about his play calling as much as I am recruiting. The timing stinks.

Losing two coaches isn't necessarily a big deal (especially position coaches), but losing two coaches and a coordinator is. Look for other coaches to use this against MT in recruiting battles as signing day approaches.

Wickline got hired at WVU. No way I see Craddock coming back. That would be a pretty big step down for him.

Wickline got hired at WVU. No way I see Craddock coming back. That would be a pretty big step down for him.
Wickline is a OL coach so this would be a step up if he wanted. Craddock is an OC that is not calling plays. He needs to add that to his resume. What better place than at home with Brent to lead the show?

Last edited:
Justin Watts went to Appalachian St as WR coach. Same position as he was here. I assume it is a way to save face when politely shown the door...

Yeah. From what I've heard. Watts was asked not to come back.

I'm surprised.
It's easy to say this is a lateral move (and it is). Stock isn't going anywhere for (at least) a few years, but Arkansas State HC Blake Anderson will be in the mix for a P5 program opening soon so Faulkner may have the opportunity to move to a P5 school. Lateral now, but a stepping stone to P5 soon.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
What kind of offenses do Jacksonville State and UTC run? Or is there an offensive coach at Clemson looking to become a coordinator( might be a step down in pay though)

I'm surprised.
A raise. Indoor practice facility. Significantly nicer stadium. Win more games and more conference championships. Top 20 attendance for G5. Almost double the number of Season Ticket holders.

Sorry, but Arkansas State got a good one...I'm sad to see Buster go. Buster has broken records wherever he has gone and I felt like we were just hitting or stride with him after this season. Even without any healthy running backs we put up some pretty impressive numbers on O...

And as much as I love Joe Craddock I am not convinced that what he has done at SMU quite qualifies him to be the next big thing...I'd love to see him here, but what makes ya'll think the time is right for him to make that move?

And as much as I love Joe Craddock I am not convinced that what he has done at SMU quite qualifies him to be the next big thing...I'd love to see him here, but what makes ya'll think the time is right for him to make that move?
Not sure he is ready or if this is the move he wants to make but moving to play caller is his next logical step. I am not sure how much of a "next big thing" candidate he is but I don't know how much of one we can realistically get either. We may not even be able to get him.

I have no strong feelings either way on this.

Buster did a good job. For the most part. I think. Still some baffling decisions and playcalls.

We should be able to upgrade if we make the right hire.

Any higher profile OC been a part of a scandal as of late that needs a place where they can land on their feet?

A raise. Indoor practice facility. Significantly nicer stadium. Win more games and more conference championships. Top 20 attendance for G5. Almost double the number of Season Ticket holders.

Don't take offense to stAte in my comment there. I'm just surprised because his name was being tossed around at places like Texas and Georgia. I thought he'd hold out another year given what MT has coming back on offense. He could've really jumped into something else after next year.

That's why I'm surprised. No knock on stAte...

Reactions: TeKEraider
If the OC does not call the plays for this offense like most claim why not go get Derrick Nix and give him the title? I am not just saying that because of the Nix connection at MT. I believe he is highly respected as he was kept by Freeze. Plus he would slay some talent in recruiting.

Seriously, Buster had lil stock and James and still went for a lateral move to the sunbelt? Something sounds fishy as I figuered he would get a P5 OC job next year wether deserved or not.

Last edited:
C'mon be happy that a guy is moving to a school that is investing in its program like stAte is. Always good to see a guy moving up and advancing his career.

Moving up? Hahahahaha. This is the same OC you guys shut out in 2012. Hahahahaha. Good luck and enjoy it. Have fun getting down to the 1 yard line and stalling out repeatedly. When it matters, he freezes up.

Yardage is great but wins are what I want. I think we upgrade here.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
If the OC does not call the plays for this offense like most claim why not go get Derrick Nix and give him the title? I am not just saying that because of the Nix connection at MT. I believe he is highly respected as he was kept by Freeze. Plus he would slay some talent in recruiting.

Seriously, Buster had lil stock and James and still went for a lateral move to the sunbelt? Something sounds fishy as I figuered he would get a P5 OC job next year wether deserved or not.

Just so everyone knows, Buster was the sole play caller. Buster, and Buster alone. Stock was/is involved in every gameplan, and subsequently signs off on everything, but only Buster called the plays.

Reactions: TeKEraider
I fine with it. Hated to see Burns leave but Geep and Buster, I'm good. It's time for Stock to work his connections now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Well, folks are concerned about the overall performance of the team, here is an opportunity for coach stock to infuse some fresh blood into the program to give the program a boost. It seems like it's almost an offensive staff shake up. Seemed like a minor defensive change up the year before.

These could be critical hires. Hopefully, they will be incredible recruiters whoever the new assts might be.

I'm not so sure I give so much credit to the offensive output to Buster this past season as Brent Stockstill and James seemed to be huge difference makers. Give Buster credit for trying to use the talent I guess.

If I had to put a letter grade on the job Buster did, I would give him a C. Could've been worse, could've been better. Definitely room for much improvement. Hopefully this will put an end to drive killing, TD scoring position cutesy plays that seemed to be tried once or twice a game that backfired. Usually resulting in a blown opportunity in the RZ.

Along with that grade of C, I thought lack of originality contributes to that rating. It seemed to me that style and play calling was the same as has been seen all over college football for the last 10-15 years.

It will be interesting to see how the play calling goes this next season and a lot will depend on the o line coach. It just appears that everything rotates around Stockstill on offense because of the continual problems on offense from OC to OC. I'm also quite sure that because of the QB and Gains things will be tweaked to revolve around them.

Reactions: MTLynn
When it comes to the offense Rick Stockstill is no different than Andy McCollum. Rick loves him some sideline bubble screen and Andy loved him some Utah pass. The result is that the offense features the head coaches pet plays to the detriment of the offense regardless of the OC.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruBluCop
The spread offense is about spreading the field to create space for our guys to spring lose. A big part of this style of offense is short passes, bubble screens, etc. The down side is when the field shrinks (red zone) its harder to create space - this isn't a RS or AM issue; its a spread offense problem.

List of open assistant positions:

Alabama: Defensive backs

Appalachian State: Offensive line

Arizona: Defensive coordinator, two other defensive positions

Arizona State: Safeties

Army: Cornerbacks

Boise State: Offensive coordinator

Colorado: One position (special teams coordinator)

Colorado State: One defensive position

Eastern Michigan: Defensive coordinator

Florida International: Special teams coordinator

Fresno State: Defensive coordinator, running backs, defensive backs

Iowa: Linebackers coach

Kent State: Defensive line

Louisiana-Lafayette: Offensive coordinator

Louisiana Tech: Offensive coordinator, running backs, defensive backs

Louisville: One defensive position

Michigan: One position

Middle Tennessee State: Offensive coordinator, Wide receivers, offensive line

Missouri: One position

Navy: Defensive backs

Nevada: One offensive position

North Carolina: Offensive coordinator (tight ends)

Northern Illinois: Linebackers

Oregon: Defensive coordinator

Penn State: One defensive position

Purdue: Offensive line

San Jose State: Defensive coordinator

South Alabama: Defensive coordinator

Southern Miss: One offensive position

TCU: Linebackers

Temple: One offensive position

Texas Tech: One defensive position

Troy: Tight ends

UAB: Two position coaches (Program will officially return to playing games in 2017)

UConn: Tight ends

USC: Defensive line, linebackers

Utah State: Offensive coordinator, safeties

UTEP: Defensive coordinator

Washington State: Inside receivers

Western Kentucky: Offensive coordinator, offensive line

Wisconsin: Defensive coordinator

Wyoming: Wide receivers

this isn't a RS or AM issue
Let me state this a different way:

There is nothing wrong with the Utah pass or a sideline bubble screen or any other play when it is used sporadically.

That said, when defenses are waiting on a certain play to the point that interceptions and/or lost yards occur repeatedly over the years with different OC's then the head coach is at fault.

Let me state this a different way:

There is nothing wrong with the Utah pass or a sideline bubble screen or any other play when it is used sporadically.

That said, when defenses are waiting on a certain play to the point that interceptions and/or lost yards occur repeatedly over the years with different OC's then the head coach is at fault.

That's fair. I just don't know a solution if your recruiting and philosophy is geared toward a spread offense. We have the same problem when we are back up to the goal line - we have a hard time getting off the goal line just like we have a hard time running in for TDs inside the redzone.

We don't run it more than any other spread team. We only had one intercepted and that was either a bad read or blown assignment. Not sure which. We ran it fairly well this year. Very few negative plays.

One thing I would like to see us run more of is rub/pick routes. Wku runs them really well and officials seem pretty unlikely to call the penalty. We need to take advantage until it becomes a point of emphasis.

The spread offense is about spreading the field to create space for our guys to spring lose. A big part of this style of offense is short passes, bubble screens, etc. The down side is when the field shrinks (red zone) its harder to create space - this isn't a RS or AM issue; its a spread offense problem.

I pretty much agree. It becomes a HC issue when the HC chooses the spread for his offense.

If the spread is covering up weakness in the OL and running game, then I fully concur that inside the RZ exposes that weakness on the short field. That is one of the reasons I've constantly been beating the drum for great recruiting along the OL. Spread or no spread, a really good or great OL will make issues of punching it in the endzone become a non issue pretty quick.

While it seems that coach stock has had more than his fair share of struggling with the run, I do give him credit for trying to make adjustments with running. I think it was a few seasons ago when he had some success in adjusting to a stronger running game. It seemed like this season was a step back in the run game. The preseason all-conf OL was injured for most of the season and hardly played. I imagine that didn't help. That's also why you recruit for quality depth. To coach stock's credit, they didn't give up on the run even though it was tough sledding. I think that kind of attitude will work if some improvements and depth can be made to the OL this offseason. It looks like again, the MT backfield will be loaded with talented RBs. So that doesn't look to be a problem. I think a running game can be had along with the spread, as long as you have the OL and RBs. Even in the age of the spread, I still see the run as critical to good success. With that, I'm glad coach stock hasn't given up on the run even though this was a tough season for run and the OL. I say instead of giving up on the run after a tough season for the run, just recruit and develop the OL and RBs to get the running game back to being successful. Gotta recruit!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT