ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Brent

I saw a video today of Matt Drills from this morning and he looked perfectly fine.

How the hell could he re-injure his shoulder? Wasn't it his non-throwing arm? And a broken clavicle should be way healed by now.

Clarification- supposedly it is a torn labrum on his throwing shoulder. But he's sitting here at the baseball game without a sling or anything. Keeping the left arm stationary, though.

Crap. Not being a Debbie Downer but this is not a good sign. I hope our backups will be ready.
Even time he gets sacked we will all pray he gets up.

He'll be fine. I do agree about the sacks. Stop calling empty set plays so he's not back there with no blockers.

I hope the offensive line improves on the protection. They gave up more sacks this past season than they have in the last 4 seasons before. If they improve, Brent will be ok.

So... I had put a post in here the other day after MTCasey, but I deleted it because I didn't have a second source like I wanted, and didn't feel comfortable putting it out there.

But now that the university has put this out there (convenient they didn't respond to my request about the matter, but that's another story...), I'll share the rest of what I was told.

The way it was broken down to me, Brent was injured during the bowl game, but played through it. He has a torn labrum, according to my source, that was further aggravated through weight lifting.

He tried to throw for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and was in severe pain. He went to see Dr Andrews, who put him on a two-week therapy cycle that ultimately did not work, hence the decision for surgery.

While big Stock says they're just going in to "clean things up", surgery to repair a torn labrum is anything but that.

I was told the recovery time Brent was given was six months, which would put him on target to return at the end of August/first of September. I'm sure he'll start right away, but he will not go through spring or fall camp according to my source.

Interesting. Could be a blessing in disguise. This will allow Banks and Urzua plenty of time to duke it out for the #2 position and give them both lots of reps. I'm personally very high on the Banks kid and hope he makes the best of this opportunity.

Interesting. Could be a blessing in disguise. This will allow Banks and Urzua plenty of time to duke it out for the #2 position and give them both lots of reps. I'm personally very high on the Banks kid and hope he makes the best of this opportunity.

I'm thinking the same thing.

We already know what Brent can do, we need a viable backup to emerge, so it won't be like throwing out a guy with zero experience should something happen. Urzua did well when tossed into the fire, but you could tell he was light on experience.

As long as he's good by fall camp, I think we're good to go.

I'm not so optimistic. All he has to do is turn the wrong way or even fart wrong and the pain will return. This will be one of those nagging injuries. I hope I am wrong and will happily eat crow. We need Brent this year.

You may be right. I'm not familiar with shoulder injuries. Hopefully it's something he can battle through at least with steroid injections?

I'm not as optimistic, if he has to miss fall camp. With our September schedule, I'd rather him have more of the rust off.

I hope we are on the look out for to pick up a grad transfer at QB...

We need a QB with some experience going into that schedule. If vandy D gets to and injures a rusty Brent, I want someone that step and win and not throw a damn interception every other possession.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT