ADVERTISEMENT

Brent to FAU

So is Brent Stockstill a done deal for OC?

what a lazy hire if so.

better pray he’s ready for this. We are gonna have some talent and a chance to push for the East next year. It’s crucial we hire the right guy for our O
Tony Franklin said if he was ever a HC he would name Brent OC. Who knows. He may end up being the best hire. I don’t think he should be hired, but if he is the best person it doesn’t matter how long he has been coaching.

Reactions: ewglenn
So is Brent Stockstill a done deal for OC?

what a lazy hire if so.

better pray he’s ready for this. We are gonna have some talent and a chance to push for the East next year. It’s crucial we hire the right guy for our O
Tony Franklin said if he was ever a HC he would name Brent OC. Who knows. He may end up being the best hire. I don’t think he should be hired, but if he is the best person it doesn’t matter how long he has been coaching.
Maybe just a wild hunch, or call me crazy but I can’t see Brent putting Tony Franklin on his list of personal references available upon request.

Last edited:
Look I'm not completely opposed to Brent Stockstill as our OC. It just seems awfully risky and at a time when we have a lot of talent on this roster. We don't exactly have time for him to cut his teeth. We have a window next year to really push for the East and we need to be at our very best.

I do like the fact that he is young but dislike the fact that his father is Rick Stockstill. I just don't like Rick Stockstill involved with our offensive game plans, and if his son is the OC, I feel like he will be even more involved.

Guess we'll see. Out of my hands anyway and I'm sure they don't care about mine or anyone else's opinions on this message board.

I thought all the Brent talk was a joke. Hardly any experience, regardless of the obvious nepotism.

Is this a real possibility?

Anybody who looks at this and thinks it‘s ok is nuts. We have a major problem here. Finally got rid of a cancer and celebrated a change only to have them leave after a year to a conference team?.?.? Look at the prior track record and see if you all see otherwise…. I’ll wait.

Last edited:
From what I've heard from players, none of them liked Dearmon. They said his attitude was awful and by mid season, Brent Stockstill started taking over the QB's and working with them in addition to the WR's.. Basically, Brent Stockstill was already a co- OC which is kinda why Dearmon left. The Hockman thing really pissed off Stock too. The players I talked to said that Hockman and Dearmon were buddies and there was definite favortism there over Chase. Everyone wanted Chase to start from the jump.

I noticed it on the sidelines in later games that Brent Stock was in the middle of the sideline huddles working with the whole offense. He became more involved as the season progressed.

Dearmon really didn't impress me that much. His play calling was ok at times and downright dumb at others. With Willy at FAU, he's more of a liability than an asset. Everyone knows what he's about. They just read his book. Shafer will re read it too. ODU sure did. That was a game where they should have fired Dearmon right there.

Last edited:
You mean like celebrating a .500 coach or removing athletic broadcasts from WMOT?

This is the result of garbage government employees whose objective is participation on the field and in the classroom. The pursuit of excellence is not a goal.

Change the school name to the University of Participation
Just merge it into the University of TN and be done with it.

Interesting insight. That would make sense if Dearmon felt undermined when Rick is always going to side with Brent. But if Brent truly had the ear of the team, rather than Dearmon, I can't fault Rick for allowing it to happen.

Today's game is about the players and connecting with them. Those asshole coaches can't possibly be effective in today's game, unless you are Saban or another top coach. Kids today are just not interested in playing for a guy like that. I can see where a younger Brent is able to connect much better than an older Dearmon.

I didn't think our offense to that much better this year. I thought we were more consistent and one plus was that we didn't throw the sideways pass every 4th play.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I didn't think our offense to that much better this year. I thought we were more consistent and one plus was that we didn't throw the sideways pass every 4th play.
I agree. I thought we got better as we went more vertical. The run game certainly wasn't that great.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I don't know if I have a problem with Brent or not. I guess his playcalling chops remains to be seen.

That said, I do think there might be an upside - he appears to be young, hungry, ambitious, and energetic - not adjectives you'd use to describe any of the current staff. And that's something that we desperately need infused into this program.

For all any of us know Brent may be an amazing OC, or he may be terrible. I am just not convinced this is the time or place to find out.

Does anyone have any actual insight into who the possible candidates might be?

From what I've heard from players, none of them liked Dearmon. They said his attitude was awful and by mid season, Brent Stockstill started taking over the QB's and working with them in addition to the WR's.. Basically, Brent Stockstill was already a co- OC which is kinda why Dearmon left. The Hockman thing really pissed off Stock too. The players I talked to said that Hockman and Dearmon were buddies and there was definite favortism there over Chase. Everyone wanted Chase to start from the jump.

I noticed it on the sidelines in later games that Brent Stock was in the middle of the sideline huddles working with the whole offense. He became more involved as the season progressed.

Dearmon really didn't impress me that much. His play calling was ok at times and downright dumb at others. With Willy at FAU, he's more of a liability than an asset. Everyone knows what he's about. They just read his book. Shafer will re read it too. ODU sure did. That was a game where they should have fired Dearmon right there.
Around, the coaching circles in High Schoo and prep schooll. Dearmon is an asshole and a lot of guys don't like him.

The offense was clearly better and we were playing our 3rd and 4th string guys over half the season. Dearmon did an outstanding job when you consider the circumstances.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I don't know if I have a problem with Brent or not. I guess his playcalling chops remains to be seen.

That said, I do think there might be an upside - he appears to be young, hungry, ambitious, and energetic - not adjectives you'd use to describe any of the current staff. And that's something that we desperately need infused into this program.
Playing here also makes it much more meaningful to him I’m sure. I doubt you’d get someone that would want it more than him. Idk if he deserves it but you cannot deny he would put his all into it.

Crazy idea to name him.

Let’s recap his resume

2019 Offensive player personnel assistant
2020 Offensive quality control analyst
2021 WR coach

basically one year as a position coach. Yes he would work his ass off, but I’m afraid he could potentially fall flat on his face with the lack of experience. And for what he lacks in experience, CRS would take over and potentially call plays when he thinks Brent is too green in certain circumstances. 4th and short, let me call the play here youngin. We know that would happen.

Who knows. Brent S could wind up being like Kellen Moore. (Not counting the stupid game Saturday that Boys lost) but you get my point.

The offense was clearly better and we were playing our 3rd and 4th string guys over half the season. Dearmon did an outstanding job when you consider the circumstances.
From what I was told, Stock started taking the wheel more after the UTSA game and Bailey quit. We got better after that. I mean do you let the a-hole you brought in run it into the ground as a HC or do you take command and lead it to victory somehow? If I'm the HC and after 3 games you can't score consistently and your QB ups and quits, you gotta do something. Brent Stockstill started working with the 3 qb's and guess what? It helped. You have the school's best QB ever working with them and the WR's. Cunningham's and Vattiato's production went up. Dearmon looks good on paper but that's about it. He's beatable and Willie is too. Not very worried.

If Brent Stockstill is the OC, let him have a go. Who else are we gonna get in mid January? Plus, he does know offense.

For one, I don’t think all this Brent Stockstill talk is for sure even a thing? Like is he seriously even being considered or are we just spitballing here? Just thinking about a scenario we can criticize? I am also not 100% opposed to the idea. I do think he definitely has the potential of being a very good coach. For many reasons I wouldn’t do it, but he may end up actually being the best option for us. I hope he isn’t, but who knows.

Unless we find a FCS up and comer, it almost has to be Brent. Unless someone else at another G5 is in an unhappy situation (like Dearmon), I don't see anyone else leaving a G5 for a G5.

After locking Brent up to a 10 year deal, Massaro be like.

main-qimg-d9fa5d1a6eb1dc236508da0c1821bf46

All you have to do is look at other peer schools and how many new coaching changes have taken place over the past 16 Football seasons. Our admins dug a hole 7 years ago they couldn’t and still can’t get out of (even if they wanted to.) We are where we are until major changes occur from the top down. Meanwhile, the UAB’s, WKU’s and UTSA’s just win titles.

All you have to do is look at other peer schools and how many new coaching changes have taken place over the past 16 Football seasons. Our admins dug a hole 7 years ago they couldn’t and still can’t get out of (even if they wanted to.) We are where we are until major changes occur from the top down. Meanwhile, the UAB’s, WKU’s and UTSA’s just win titles.

And move on to better conferences...

For one, I don’t think all this Brent Stockstill talk is for sure even a thing? Like is he seriously even being considered or are we just spitballing here? Just thinking about a scenario we can criticize? I am also not 100% opposed to the idea. I do think he definitely has the potential of being a very good coach. For many reasons I wouldn’t do it, but he may end up actually being the best option for us. I hope he isn’t, but who knows.
I guarantee you it's a thing. It's late January. Who's Stock gonna go after? If he doesn't announce another name by next week, I 'll pretty much bet the farm that Brent is the guy.

Last edited:
I guarantee you it's a thing. It's late January. Who's Stock gonna go after? If he doesn't announce another name by next week, I 'll pretty much bet the farm that Brent is the guy.
If he picks Brent I will be okay with that. I think Brent has potential. I just really hope there are more names and better candidates for us right now.

Brent is probably very very capable as MT OC. Might be one of the best things that could happen.

But (I’m talking Jennifer Lopez size), it isn’t a good look given the nepotism criticism and .500 record. If Rick was consistently out performing his peers, no one would question anything.

if having Brent would get us to a conference championship and recruit better, get him in here. That’s our goal.

This is a state institution so hiring people does have a process.

Brent is probably very very capable as MT OC. Might be one of the best things that could happen.

But (I’m talking Jennifer Lopez size), it isn’t a good look given the nepotism criticism and .500 record. If Rick was consistently out performing his peers, no one would question anything.

if having Brent would get us to a conference championship and recruit better, get him in here. That’s our goal.

This is a state institution so hiring people does have a process.
I agree. This has the potential for disaster and the risk/reward for making this hire is not a good one if Brent tanks or finishes .500 out of the gate. Well, maybe not if he goes 6-6. 😂 He’s already created a great legacy as a MT record setting QB. Penny Hardaway is getting torched by fans in Memphis after several of his closest advisors told him not to take the job. I like Brent. I cheered for Brent. His high school OC is a good friend of mine. But…….

Brent has one single season as a position coach and two prior years as an offensive analyst. By comparison, his father waited 10 years as an assistant coach before landing a Div. 1 Co-OC position at Clemson for, guess who? Tommy West. Even West was a position coach for 12 years before landing his first DC job at South Carolina. Shafer was an assistant for 8 years before landing his first DC job at N. Illinois.

However, given the fact that our Athletics Dept. is pretty much insolvent without student activity fees and our history for going lazy and cheap is what we do, he’ll still probably get the nod if the BOT and SM want it done. I guess he’ll still report directly to CM with a dotted line to his father to beat the nepotism critics again.
Go Blue! Go Brent!

Reactions: MT Glenn
Dabo Swinney was never an OC. They promoted him after he was an interim head coach for part of a season. That worked out well.

If Brent was actually running the offense for over half the season then he deserves a shot. We need guys that want to be here and not just here to collect a check. It’s a big risk/reward situation. Schools like ours need to take chances. If we don’t, we end up in the same situation we are in right now.

Lincoln Riley was only a position coach for 3 seasons before he was hired as OC/QB coach at ECU. Tommy Rees (ND OC) was only a position coach from 2017-19 before taking over as OC. Obviously both of those had 3 years as position coaches, but if you have what it takes then you have what it takes. I would guess most people would agree that Brent may very well have what it takes. I definitely think he does and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. He definitely brings youth and energy and I bet he can keep the current recruiting class mostly intact.

Reactions: ewglenn
I thought the offense was much more productive the latter third of the season. If he was truly the one calling the shots, then I would be Ok with giving him a shot. The nepotism thing adds a wrinkle to it, but again, if he was already calling plays and did well, then that's enough proof for me that he is qualified.

The nepotism angle might work out well.

If Brent succeeds, then no problem.

If he fails, then maybe, just maybe, it can garner enough bad press to show Stock the door.

It's either that or we try and frame him for bank robbery. I'm bald, i'll grow a goat-tee and color it white. I'll even half-ass the robbery - i'll use a squirt gun and steal only the lollipop jar. The incompetence and lack of effort can only be matched by what we see on Saturdays. This plan is foolproof.

In spring of 18, Brent called the plays for TF while he was gone. The players said that it was one of the best scrimmages they played and the coaches were surprised on how well the O performed. Other coaches he's worked with feel the same way.

So far, it's crickets on the Western front. The longer we wait, the more it looks like Brent will get the nod.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT