ADVERTISEMENT

Brent to FAU

Wasn't there a story that Dearman chose MT to be close to his family or something? At the time I knew it was BS, especially now. These people just make up crap (not that it matters) and see what will stick to justify whatever they are doing.

We need an up and comer to keep our kids engaged and tutor Lowe. I'm really excited about him, but now we have to keep him.

Seems weird to make a lateral move after 1 year. Can’t be much money difference.

I wonder if there’s more to the story here. Stock doesn’t have the greatest track record with getting along with his OC. Buster left for a lateral move as well, and we all know what happened with Franklin.

this is a really bad look for Stockstill and MT in my opinion. Not quite a red flag but close. Dearmon going P5 is one thing but this is a lateral move. Lateral moves are actually pretty rare among CFB coaches. Only reason Dearmon makes this move is if he sees FAU as a better chance to get to Power 5. This basically says Dearmon thinks MT is a dead end job. Or was Dearmon maybe told Stock would retire this year and he might be a head coach in waiting kind of candidate, but Stockstill then never retired? Who knows, but it's a bad look IMO. If you look at every OC hired since Stockstill has been here, how many of them have left MT for a promotion? The answer is zero and he's been here nearly two decades. That's a bad, bad look.

If I was the university I would try to spin it somehow in our favor (leaks, rumors, official statement or whatever) and make a slam dunk hire.

we better be smoothing things over with Lowe and any other kids Dearmon had good relationships with. And we better make a good hire here. Dearmon was a good OC. Hoping this is an incorrect report and he stays.

Last edited:
They are gonna replace him with Brent…let Brent OC one year and then retire. Brent new head coach….
Seems weird to make a lateral move after 1 year. Can’t be much money difference.

I wonder if there’s more to the story here. Stock doesn’t have the greatest track record with getting along with his OC. Buster left for a lateral move as well, and we all know what happened with Franklin.

this is a really bad look for Stockstill and MT in my opinion. Not quite a red flag but close. Dearmon going P5 is one thing but this is a lateral move. Only reason Dearmon makes this move is if he sees FAU as a better chance to get to Power 5. This basically says Dearmon thinks MT is a dead end job. Or was Dearmon maybe told Stock would retire this year and he might be a head coach in waiting kind of candidate, but Stockstill then never retired? Who knows, but it's a bad look IMO. If you look at every OC hired since Stockstill has been here, how many of them have left MT for a promotion? The answer is zero and he's been here nearly two decades. That's a bad, bad look.

If I was the university I would try to spin it somehow in our favor (leaks, rumors, official statement or whatever) and make a slam dunk hire.

we better be smoothing things over with Lowe and any other kids Dearmon had good relationships with. And we better make a good hire here. Dearmon was a good OC. Hoping this is an incorrect report and he stays.

They are gonna replace him with Brent…let Brent OC one year and then retire. Brent new head coach….

In what world is Brent qualified to be our OC? Don't get me wrong, I want younger guys in here, but Brent simply hasn't paid his dues.

This would be a total slap in the face to our fanbase and team as well as other coaches in the industry. Brent Stockstill has 100% not earned the respect to be a D1 coordinator. There is no way he is truly ready to be an OC.

But if you are right, I'm starting to further understand the 500k donation Rick made to our new facilities.

this is a really bad look for Stockstill and MT in my opinion. Not quite a red flag but close. Dearmon going P5 is one thing but this is a lateral move. Only reason Dearmon makes this move is if he sees FAU as a better chance to get to Power 5. This basically says Dearmon thinks MT is a dead end job. Or was Dearmon maybe told Stock would retire this year and he might be a head coach in waiting kind of candidate, but Stockstill then never retired? Who knows, but it's a bad look IMO. If you look at every OC hired since Stockstill has been here, how many of them have left MT for a promotion? The answer is zero and he's been here nearly two decades. That's a bad, bad look.

Excellent post, Wiley. And sadly, this is probably gonna happen based on what some other folks have shared with me. A guy I respected as a pretty good source of info once told me a couple of years ago that the best thing for me to do is just put MT Football out of my mind and it would save me a lot of unhappiness. And he’s a Stock loyalist. Watching that basketball game last night on ESPN+ was extremely eye opening to me. Besides a nearly empty arena, it was easy to spot our AD in his usual spot behind the visitors basket with not a soul in the sections around him. And, our university shot caller and his guest were the only two people sitting on Big Booster Row that runs the length of courtside behind Chip’s broadcast setup.

Like MT01, it’s probably time for me to just move on. My only affiliation with MT came later in my middle age years via graduate school. Most college relationships and bonds are fostered in undergraduate school.

Nothing’s ever gonna change over there and I have better ways to spend my time and money in my twilight years.

Excellent post, Wiley. And sadly, this is probably gonna happen based on what some other folks have shared with me. A guy I respected as a pretty good source of info once told me a couple of years ago that the best thing for me to do is just put MT Football out of my mind and it would save me a lot of unhappiness. And he’s a Stock loyalist. Watching that basketball game last night on ESPN+ was extremely eye opening to me. Besides a nearly empty arena, it was easy to spot our AD in his usual spot behind the visitors basket with not a soul in the sections around him. And, our university shot caller and his guest were the only two people sitting on Big Booster Row that runs the length of courtside behind Chip’s broadcast setup.

Like MT01, it’s probably time for me to just move on. My only affiliation with MT came later in my middle age years via graduate school. Most college relationships and bonds are fostered in undergraduate school.

Nothing’s ever gonna change over there and I have better ways to spend my time and money in my twilight years.
As you know, I've pretty much completely checked out. Not worth my time or interest. Damn shame, too.

I'll always be MT blue. Always proud. But a large part of me is the same as you all when it comes to athletics. Super frustrating. I'll be starting grad school this fall. Either Auburn or Penn State most likely. Either of those for sure put an emphasis on athletics.

This is super frustrating and totally the "Middle" thing to do for Little Stock to be named OC.

One thing that really surprised me is the amount of $$$ position coaches are making at the bigger Power 5's. I swear 10-15 years ago a RB coach at Penn St. was not making more than nearly all G5 coordinators.

Some of these Power 5 assistant salaries are insane. 400k seems to be the minimum for the well known programs with most in excess of 500k or more for RB/WR/OL etc. This is crazy.

Going to become even harder to find quality candidates for coordinator positions moving forward. I did not realize salaries had become that lopsided. Crazy to think someone like Scott Shafer could take a DL job at a school like Michigan and double his salary....

Look at Adam Cushing. 3-26 record as HC at Eastern Illinois. Just hired as OL at Duke. He was making $185k at EI. The average salary for a P5 OL coach according to USA Today is over $500k. And we can't even pay our OC that.

Looks like Dearmon is definitely done. Updated his twitter and removed all MT associations.

Looks like we need a new OC

Looks like Dearmon is definitely done. Updated his twitter and removed all MT associations.

Looks like we need a new OC
After only one season, for a guy who played and coached just 90 minutes west of Murfreesboro and wanted to be closer to home, this is really strange. He’ll be nearly 10 hours from home (Mobile) to FAU vs. 6 hours from Murfreesboro.
Something smells.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
After only one season, for a guy who played and coached just 90 minutes west of Murfreesboro and wanted to be closer to home, this is really strange. He’ll be nearly 10 hours from home (Mobile) to FAU vs. 6 hours from Murfreesboro.
Something smells.
My guess is he wants more than mediocre results and plans to be a head coach at a more sports oriented school. He also realized MT is a retirement haven for washed up coaches who do not have to account for their piss poor performance.
He has real goals.

In what world is Brent qualified to be our OC? Don't get me wrong, I want younger guys in here, but Brent simply hasn't paid his dues.

This would be a total slap in the face to our fanbase and team as well as other coaches in the industry. Brent Stockstill has 100% not earned the respect to be a D1 coordinator. There is no way he is truly ready to be an OC.

But if you are right, I'm starting to further understand the 500k donation Rick made to our new facilities.

When has any of that stopped us?

this is a really bad look for Stockstill and MT in my opinion. Not quite a red flag but close. Dearmon going P5 is one thing but this is a lateral move. Lateral moves are actually pretty rare among CFB coaches. Only reason Dearmon makes this move is if he sees FAU as a better chance to get to Power 5. This basically says Dearmon thinks MT is a dead end job. Or was Dearmon maybe told Stock would retire this year and he might be a head coach in waiting kind of candidate, but Stockstill then never retired? Who knows, but it's a bad look IMO. If you look at every OC hired since Stockstill has been here, how many of them have left MT for a promotion? The answer is zero and he's been here nearly two decades. That's a bad, bad look.

GA Mangus was the last MT OC to leave for a “promotion” (I believe he was hired as OC / QB coach at USC Jr).

TF left after 2009 for LaTech. Schultz left after 2010 Texas State. Simmons was forced to resign (IIRC). Faulkner left for A State. TF retired. Dearmon left for FAU.

Definitely a very weird move the more I think about it. There has to be more here unless Dearmon really just believes MT is a dead end job.

A lateral move just doesn’t make sense unless Dearmon sees this as a dead end job ( no OC under Stock has ever been promoted to OC at a bigger school ). OR there was serious issues between philosophy and Stockstill meddling in the offense, which is a very real possibility.

Hes much more likely to be fired at FAU than MT when you look at which school has more stable staffs. The pay difference cannot be anything significant, and both states have no state taxes. Is FAU really that much more likely to lead him to a bigger gig? I don’t think so. FAU hasn’t exactly been churning out great coaches outside of Kiffin and his staff. I recall lots of staff turnover ever since Howard retired.

as others have said, something stinks here, big time.

And it’s really unfortunate. I really liked Dearmons offense. He kept teams on tilt and got creative in areas we have traditionally struggled ( red zone ). Some of those red zone packages with multiple DL players were genius even though simple appearing.

The timing is also terrible. We return a ton of talent next year and will be considered a contender for the East. Having to bring in a new OC/QB next year with us still having question marks and young QBs is far from ideal. Almost feels intentional by FAU to put us in this position and steal a quality coach. F them.

stock needs to knock this hire out of the ballpark. I hope he takes his time and makes the best possible choice. It’s crucial we hire the right guy here. Someone with some experience calling plays is who I would gravitate towards.

GA Mangus was the last MT OC to leave for a “promotion” (I believe he was hired as OC / QB coach at USC Jr).

TF left after 2009 for LaTech. Schultz left after 2010 Texas State. Simmons was forced to resign (IIRC). Faulkner left for A State. TF retired. Dearmon left for FAU.
Mangus left to be QB coach, not OC. He was QB coach at South Carolina for 7 years. No OC has ever left here for a promotion. All lateral moves (at best) or fired.

nobody on our entire offensive staff has really left for a promotion now that I think about. Maybe a WR coach one time, Kodi Burn? But other than that I cannot think of a single offensive coach that has left for a clearly better job.

that’s a really bad sign

Last edited:
This would be a total slap in the face to our fanbase
You mean like celebrating a .500 coach or removing athletic broadcasts from WMOT?

This is the result of garbage government employees whose objective is participation on the field and in the classroom. The pursuit of excellence is not a goal.

Change the school name to the University of Participation

Yeah the situation seems even stranger the more I think about it. We are returning a pretty solid core on offense and defense looks to be stabilized. Why not come back for one more year with a great opportunity to parlay that to a bigger gig At the end of next year? Seems like it would set you up nicely, but he is walking away from that. Hmmm

We can rule out facilities, lack of direction from the AD, and the conference going downhill with the exiting teams. Those are all longer term concerns that a person in his position wouldn’t be concerned with. He has to be thinking 1-2 years and he’s gone anyways. So it has to be something immediately troubling. I’m thinking it’s the overall state of the program and the micromanaging that Stock is probably doing. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

Yeah the situation seems even stranger the more I think about it. We are returning a pretty solid core on offense and defense looks to be stabilized. Why not come back for one more year with a great opportunity to parlay that to a bigger gig At the end of next year? Seems like it would set you up nicely, but he is walking away from that. Hmmm

We can rule out facilities, lack of direction from the AD, and the conference going downhill with the exiting teams. Those are all longer term concerns that a person in his position wouldn’t be concerned with. He has to be thinking 1-2 years and he’s gone anyways. So it has to be something immediately troubling. I’m thinking it’s the overall state of the program and the micromanaging that Stock is probably doing. It’s the only thing that makes sense.
You may be spot on with Stock micromanaging, also wonder if there is some nepotism going on that he is not liking.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Mangus left to be QB coach, not OC. He was QB coach at South Carolina for 7 years. No OC has ever left here for a promotion. All lateral moves (at best) or fired.

nobody on our entire offensive staff has really left for a promotion now that I think about. Maybe a WR coach one time, Kodi Burn? But other than that I cannot think of a single offensive coach that has left for a clearly better job.

that’s a really bad sign
Thanks for the correction.

The only thing I could find was him as OC, not just QB coach.

A handful of OL coaches have came and went (Elarbee, Wade) for arguable promotions. Elarbee to Houston, Wade for ECU.

Maybe Dearmon wanted to win conference titles vs CRS who prays to win 6 games and tout bowl eligibility.

I have zero desire to see the name Stockstill hired as OC and makes me sick to stomach that it really could be a Stockstill replacing another one.

I am so sick of this crap. Just watch, this time next year we will still be asking about what is going on with the upgrades. Not a damn thing will change from today.

Tony Franklin is available. 😂

if we still had Adam Sparks, we would know what happened. Instead we have to speculate and get more frustrated. I wish we had a leaker on the inside.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Maybe Dearmon wanted to win conference titles vs CRS who prays to win 6 games and tout bowl eligibility.
Going to FAU to work for Taggart would not be the play if Dearmon wants to win big. Taggart is a bad head coach and will not win anything at FAU.

stocks OC track record is super concerning to me. Buster left after having a record setting year with Brent and chose a lateral move at best. It didn’t make any sense. Then Total chaos with Franklin and mediocre results. Now Dearmon comes in and really has a great first year and he leaves in a lateral move ?

What the F is going on ? I feel like we deserve to know. Pisses me off. I just know it’s because of Rick.

that’s a really bad sign
You could argue Silvoy got somewhat of a promotion going from WR coach here to Co-OC/WR at Peay, but I get what you are saying.

I could be wrong but Dearmon tweeted on 1/7/22 that he wasn’t attending the AFCA Convention in San Antonio last week which leads me to believe he’s had this move in the works for a while.
Get ready. Lil’ Stock is next man up. Book it. Phil Williams will be firing up the nepotism bus again. 😂😂😂

Fellas, we're going 6-6 (or within 1 game of it) no matter who is on the staff.

Look who the HC is. Look at the country club staff we have. Look at the mediocre recruiting results.

Lincoln Riley could decide he just really wants to sit in Murfreesboro traffic every day, and we'd still go.....6-6.

I could be wrong but Dearmon tweeted on 1/7/22 that he wasn’t attending the AFCA Convention in San Antonio last week which leads me to believe he’s had this move in the works for a while.
Get ready. Lil’ Stock is next man up. Book it. Phil Williams will be firing up the nepotism bus again. 😂😂😂
Yeah, dearman said he was staying to watch his daughter, and yes Phil will be all over this as he should, much more qualified guys out there than Brent

So is Brent Stockstill a done deal for OC?

what a lazy hire if so.

better pray he’s ready for this. We are gonna have some talent and a chance to push for the East next year. It’s crucial we hire the right guy for our O

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT