ADVERTISEMENT

Brent to FAU

I would suspect a name needs to be out there for recruiting? Not like we have anyone tracking flights to and from BNA for possible coaching candidates.

If you would have told me in 2006 that Rick Stockstill’s 12 year old boy would be our OC in 2022 I would have said you’re nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
I would suspect a name needs to be out there for recruiting? Not like we have anyone tracking flights to and from BNA for possible coaching candidates.

If you would have told me in 2006 that Rick Stockstill’s 12 year old boy would be our OC in 2022 I would have said you’re nuts.
If you had told me in 2006 Rick would not have won a single conference championship and STILL be coaching here I would have said you're nuts.

It's officially posted on the job board. FYI minimum requirements.....

Two (2) years of High School, College or Professional analysis/quality control coaching and/or collegiate and/or professional competition experience required. Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.

Looks like it’s gonna be Brent. Doubt many others even bother applying.

hope he’s ready

Has anyone looked to see if those requirements are any different than previous postings? Timmy Chang who is now the new HC at Hawaii was only a position coach for a year before he was an OC. His las job was as a position coach and Dabo was never a coordinator.

I think Brent will do just fine. It’s the nepotism thing for such a high position that deserves scrutiny.

Its a weird situation. But if he can bring us closer to the promise land of a conference championship then so be it. Other schools have done stranger things to get to the top.

Hawaii just hired their 7th Head Coach since 16 seasons ago when ours was hired.
The difference between them and MT is they don’t put up with losing seasons and mediocrity for very long before pulling the trigger. Chang is a former Hawaii QB with 6-7 seasons as a full time assistant and probably leveraged his college playing days relationships to help him get the job.

But…..his new boss is not his father.

Like Lee DeLeon said,
“I think there are a lot of people that I have met that are frustrated. They’re disenfranchised. They feel like we are an athletic department that is okay with mediocrity and that is stale.”

Promoting Brent to OC does nothing to address the root problems. Absolutely Nothing.

Has anyone looked to see if those requirements are any different than previous postings? Timmy Chang who is now the new HC at Hawaii was only a position coach for a year before he was an OC. His las job was as a position coach and Dabo was never a coordinator.

It’s our standard assistant coaching announcement. The PD is a bit different, but the degree/experience is standard.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Hawaii just hired their 7th Head Coach since 16 seasons ago when ours was hired.
The difference between them and MT is they don’t put up with losing seasons and mediocrity for very long before pulling the trigger. Chang is a former Hawaii QB with 6-7 seasons as a full time assistant and probably leveraged his college playing days relationships to help him get the job.

Like Lee DeLeon said,
“I think there are a lot of people that I have met that are frustrated. They’re disenfranchised. They feel like we are an athletic department that is okay with mediocrity and that is stale.”

Promoting Brent to OC does nothing to address the root problems. Absolutely Nothing.
No OC hire does anything to change the root problems here. The root problems would be the OC’s bosses.

Like Lee DeLeon said,

Bad choice of words from DeLeon. Disenfranchised means taking away someone's right to vote. A lot of us are voting by not coming to games any longer and by not sending any monies their way. That's how I'm "voting".

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
At the end of the day all that matters is if Brent is the best candidate we can get or not. Take away all the other factors such as nepotism and experience. I really hope he isn't the best candidate we can get, but I don't think he is a bad candidate. I have always thought Brent would make a good coach one day. It just seems like he has the mind for it and we know he has the competitive drive. He can definitely relate to the players and the guy knows football.

After two straight losing seasons, I’m not going to discount Dearmon’s contribution to getting this program back to .500 in ‘21. With him leaving, we’re still left with pretty much the same core group of assistants and their (101-98) “competing” leader. I’m amazed at how quickly some have attributed mainly Brent Stockstill for the “turnaround”. I’d love to be able pick Dearmon’s brain for his take on the current state of MT Football.

Last edited:
I was gonna say that the next hire if Brent is promoted would be the Special Teams guy at The Citadel but Clay Helton has already returned that favor. 😂😂

After two straight losing seasons, I’m not going to discount Dearmon’s contribution to getting this program back to .500 in ‘21. With him leaving, we’re still left with pretty much the same core group of assistants and their (101-98) “competing” leader. I’m amazed at how quickly some have attributed mainly Brent Stockstill for the “turnaround”. I’d love to be able pick Dearmon’s brain for his take on the current state of MT Football.

my thoughts exactly.

I wanna know what went down with Dearmon. Had to be some problems and toxicity for a lateral move like that unless FAU just made him an offer he couldn’t refuse (400k or more).

I’m very curious to know if he took a pay cut or got a raise going to FAU. I think that will tell us a lot.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
my thoughts exactly.

I wanna know what went down with Dearmon. Had to be some problems and toxicity for a lateral move like that unless FAU just made him an offer he couldn’t refuse (400k or more).

I’m very curious to know if he took a pay cut or got a raise going to FAU. I think that will tell us a lot.
Something else I still don’t understand. In order to leave KU, Dearmon agreed to pay the Jayhawks $4,166 a month installments ($100,000) buyout over 24 months in exchange for a $25,000 a year raise to work for MTSU?

LINK: Dearmon Settlement For Leaving Kansas

LINK: “Almost a year to the day”

LINK: “Apparently Taggart’s 2nd Choice”

Last edited:
I talked to 6 kids that are on the team and that's what they told me. Dearmon pissed off the offense with picking Bailey over Chase even when Chase won every practice. One player told me that he acted like a know it all but when they were playing horribly vs. UTSA, he started blaming everyone else except himself. That's when Big Stock said Chase is playing the second half and Brent Stockstill went up to Chase and said, I got you let's go. That's when the offense started huddling around him instead of Dearmon. Now this is all conjecture but clearly Brent Stockstill is a good kid who knows offense and can relate to players better than a know it all Dearmon who wrote a book on RPO but hasn't done jack in D1.

Dearmon was at Kansas and didn't win at all. Someone must have read his book. Brent Stockstill Is the current record holder at MT and it ain't close. Brent coached with Lane at FAU for a year and they won the title. I'd say Brent is on a better trajectory. Dearmon saw the writing on the wall. That dude is a short fuse. After week 3 and the starting QB quit, we were ok with Dearmon hitting the door.

I went back a year ago and read though some old threads and posts after the Dearmon hire was announced. Pretty funny and entertaining stuff but I won’t bump any of them. You can go see for yourselves. 😂😂😂

Why our Head Football Coach is still around after all this drama for 16 seasons is absolutely mind boggling. And now we will probably keep the bloodline going. 😂😂

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Is that what FAU is paying him? If so, would be an 82% increase. 😲

Not a bad move for a guy who, according to some, was pushed out at MTSU.

I think he meant the 500k Stock donated as why he's still here.

Briles was making 350k as FAU OC under Lane. Couldn't find what OCs under Taggart have made.

I talked to 6 kids that are on the team and that's what they told me. Dearmon pissed off the offense with picking Bailey over Chase even when Chase won every practice. One player told me that he acted like a know it all but when they were playing horribly vs. UTSA, he started blaming everyone else except himself. That's when Big Stock said Chase is playing the second half and Brent Stockstill went up to Chase and said, I got you let's go. That's when the offense started huddling around him instead of Dearmon. Now this is all conjecture but clearly Brent Stockstill is a good kid who knows offense and can relate to players better than a know it all Dearmon who wrote a book on RPO but hasn't done jack in D1.

Dearmon was at Kansas and didn't win at all. Someone must have read his book. Brent Stockstill Is the current record holder at MT and it ain't close. Brent coached with Lane at FAU for a year and they won the title. I'd say Brent is on a better trajectory. Dearmon saw the writing on the wall. That dude is a short fuse. After week 3 and the starting QB quit, we were ok with Dearmon hitting the door.
Great Intel and if it's all true, then I'm fine with Dearmon being gone and Brent being given a chance. Brent definitely has an opportunity to cut his teeth and possibly take over from dad when he departs. My concern is just that he becomes his own person, with his own style. We don't want him to pick up Rick's offensive philosophy or other bad habits. That's my concern, that Rick will feel like he can challenge Brent more to do things his way, rather than letting him develop is own philosophy.

If this all plays out well and Brent proves himself, we could easily have Brent replacing Rick in a few years.

Dearmon was originally going to be co - oc with Chip Lindsay but Lindsay bailed for UCF. Dearmon was not Willie's choice. He is stuck with him and his book. I don't think it's gonna fair well in paradise.

Is it normal for a D1 school to have the same athletic director, head football coach, and school president for nearly 2 decades?

I can’t imagine that is normal. The AD one though is the most puzzling to me. I can sort of understand a coach getting to a point where they are comfortable and making enough money to want to stay around and be content. An AD though isn’t making life changing money being at MT and you would think they would aspire to move up. Unless you have CM, which has obviously proven no bigger programs have an interest and he has done a very mediocre job here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT