ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL bowl expenses

If you want to stir the pot, float the question to CM or SM and ask, "how much money was moved from the General Fund to prop up those numbers?" Half truths are just as bad as total fibs. Just sayin.

I have to admit I was shocked to hear that we had pretty much broken even on these two bowls. I had heard several months ago that we would be down several hundred thousand dollars, so when I saw this I knew some accounting shenanigans had been done.

I have to admit I was shocked to hear that we had pretty much broken even on these two bowls. I had heard several months ago that we would be down several hundred thousand dollars, so when I saw this I knew some accounting shenanigans had been done.
I knew you would get it, Dave. It's what we do.

I don't think there's a nefarious plot, financial malfeasance, or misallocation of funds, Amato's article spells out pretty clearly that the expenses were hugely covered by reimbursement from the conference.

...MTSU spent $592,003 on the Bahamas Bowl trip and were reimbursed $573,167 by Conference USA and gained $16,885 in ticket sales.

Ticket sales actually helped MTSU avoid a net loss when it came to Hawaii Bowl expenses, according to the recap. Documents show ticket sales were reported at $21,915.

The university spent $1,083,824 on the Hawaii Bowl trip and will get an estimated $1,066,126 back from C-USA......

Whether CUSA should continue to reimburse funds to that extreme extent, in light of the reduced television contract revenues is another story. IMO, the conference has no business in having relationships with such expensive bowls in the first place.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
The performances were embarrassing, that's for sure. Bahama's Bowl was OK - We just ran into a juggernaut (Go figure, that's our luck). Hawaii was a flat out embarrassment though. Defense played awful, which was par for the course, and Brent played the worst game of his career. That's a recipe for disaster, and a disaster it was. Just another typical, expected nationally televised game outcome.

Only potential positive I can take away from the bowls is their potential impact on recruiting. If it comes down to MT vs. a MAC or Sun Belt school, maybe our bowl-game destinations will put us over the top? I know I'm really reaching for straws here, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the line item budget for just the "Program Services Fee" which is $840 per semester for a full-time undergrad with 12 hours or greater. On let's say....20,000 students, that's $33.6 million just for the Fall and Spring semesters. Personally, I think that's where the athletic shortfall is being covered. Aldo needs to look at hard numbers for season tickets, concessions, alumni giving, sponsorships and CUSA TV/Bowl expense reimbursements vs. annual expenditures for Athletic Dept. Then tell me how much is supplemented by the General Fund. That article looks more like a press release from Mark Owen and CM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT