ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL article on spread offense has quote from CRS

I miss the late 90's and early 2000's when things were still evolving and you had so many different offensive schemes being run. Air Raid, Run and Shoot, Pro, Option, etc. I could watch games all day long ( and I did). Now it seems like their are just a few offenses left, which sucks. How many plays are run from the zone read?

Personally I have lost some interest in football because of the copycat mentality and nearly every team in college running the spread. I like the spread, but not when every team seems to be running it. I know their are variations, but to most fans they are subtle. I still enjoy watching the service academies and Georgia Tech just for some variety.

I just want something different from team to team. Anyone else feel the same?

Now it seems like their are just a few offenses left, which sucks. How many plays are run from the zone read?
Actually, a lot. Thanks to RPOs (run-pass options), teams frequently tag a few screens and a good bit the quick game on the backside of the called run. Some teams (this is more pro than college) utilize their dropback passing attack through 2 and 3 level RPO concepts

Personally I have lost some interest in football because of the copycat mentality and nearly every team in college running the spread. I like the spread, but not when every team seems to be running it. I know their are variations, but to most fans they are subtle. I still enjoy watching the service academies and Georgia Tech just for some variety.
I think you underestimate the differences between the spread offenses and overestimate the differences between the spread and other offenses.

Guess what the triple option of Georgia Tech does? It reads a defender - just like the zone read.

I'll tell what hasn't changed. You win games when you get under center and run the football down someone's throat while bleeding clock and reducing their possession time. The spread is great some of the time but all of the time is a gimmick. Running out of the spread makes me angry. You're literally back 5 more yards than you should be. Arrrrgh. Also, the no huddle all the time crap drives me crazy too. A complete drive = 34 seconds. Come on! We had drives that lasted 25 seconds last season. Yeah, the spread changed the game but not necessarily for the better.

Last edited:
I'll tell what hasn't changed. You win games when you get under center and run the football down someone's throat while bleeding clock and reducing their possession time. The spread is great some of the time but all of the time is a gimmick. Running out of the spread makes me angry. You're literally back 5 more yards than you should be. Arrrrgh.
This is such a misnomer. If you are running a pro-style offense and decide to run, guess where you are making the handoff? 3-5 yards in the backfield.

You can be every bit of a downhill run team from the gun/pistol.

But the blocking schemes are different and it eliminates the possibility of a QB sneak on short yardage. I prefer to run out of the pistol. You're not as far back and you have a bit better field position to drop back and pass.

But the blocking schemes are different and it eliminates the possibility of a QB sneak on short yardage. I prefer to run out of the pistol. You're not as far back and you have a bit better field position to drop back and pass.
The blocking schemes aren't different. Outside zone from under center is the same as outsize zone from shotgun.

QB sneak is about the only common run scheme that you can't run from the gun/pistol in some form (and how many times do you run QB sneak in a season)

Agree to disagree. The bigger schools that are under center don't need the gimmick. They cram it down your throat and they win championships and are ranked. The spread hasn't won us anything but 7-8 games a year only to get crushed in bowl games. Here's your prize.

Agree to disagree. The bigger schools that are under center don't need the gimmick. They cram it down your throat and they win championships and are ranked. The spread hasn't won us anything but 7-8 games a year only to get crushed in bowl games. Here's your prize.

Well first of all, the past couple of years we have put Little Stock under center in short yardage.
Second, I do believe there was a couple of bigger schools who have won recently (Bama and Clemson) who utilize the Spread "O".
Lastly, we haven't been loosing because of our lack of "O", it has been because a good Middle School team could run up and down the field on us in the past.

Now all that said, from discussion with a seasoned MT player (Sr. this year) our "D" looked light years better this spring.

I'm looking for a much better team come fall.

Go Blue!!!!
D-winns

No matter the offensive set, games are won at the line of scrimmage. I don't care for Bama but if you look at where they are strong it's on the line. They could run a spread or wishbone and still win. MT has not done a good job of building and developing our O/D lines.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
you can't continue to take 255 dt's and think they can hold the weight of 30to d still play like they did in high school. you got to get bigger kids from high school and build strength and agility with them.

I don't know any more about offensive schemes that what I learned between 1993-2000, playing madden and EA College Football but how can we throw a Richie in at QB and run a crazy offense and run up 77 against FAU last year. Granted it was FAU but seems like we had the most success when we were playing backyard option "do whatever it takes" play.

I prefer Athlete QBs rather than Drop back passers for college.

Well first of all, the past couple of years we have put Little Stock under center in short yardage.
Second, I do believe there was a couple of bigger schools who have won recently (Bama and Clemson) who utilize the Spread "O".
Lastly, we haven't been loosing because of our lack of "O", it has been because a good Middle School team could run up and down the field on us in the past.

Now all that said, from discussion with a seasoned MT player (Sr. this year) our "D" looked light years better this spring.

I'm looking for a much better team come fall.

Go Blue!!!!
D-winns
Technically, Alabama doesn't run a spread. They run a pro with spread concepts.

I don't know any more about offensive schemes that what I learned between 1993-2000, playing madden and EA College Football but how can we throw a Richie in at QB and run a crazy offense and run up 77 against FAU last year. Granted it was FAU but seems like we had the most success when we were playing backyard option "do whatever it takes" play.

I prefer Athlete QBs rather than Drop back passers for college.
There are very few true pure "drop back passers" anymore. Most QBs have the ability to roll out and/or provide some threat in the run game.

The reason you don't see more "Wild-Richie" offense is that it's predictable over an extended period of time. Gadget play, sure. Emergency backup, yeah. Full-time offense, no.

When I was the best Madden coach, I would drop back 40 yards, throw a hail mary, and run up the score.

There are very few true pure "drop back passers" anymore. Most QBs have the ability to roll out and/or provide some threat in the run game.

The reason you don't see more "Wild-Richie" offense is that it's predictable over an extended period of time. Gadget play, sure. Emergency backup, yeah. Full-time offense, no.

Reactions: C-Bow
I miss 6 minute possessions, solid fundamentals and taking care of the football.
Agree!!!!!

If a team is going to score every 30 seconds, you better have a LOT of good "D" linemen.

But no matter what you run or how long or quick you score, if you don't play fundamental football you will loose.
One of the other posters said and I agree, ball games are won in the trenches, both "O" and "D"!!!

D-winns

I do miss the days when points were more at a premium and touchdowns mattered more. Touchdowns used to result in exhilaration. Now I feel like they are more of a relief because it feels like you have to score one every possession. I like 28-24 type games much more than 63-49 games. Games also used to be completed in 3 hours, but not anymore with the amount of points being scored.

I do miss the days when points were more at a premium and touchdowns mattered more. Touchdowns used to result in exhilaration. Now I feel like they are more of a relief because it feels like you have to score one every possession. I like 28-24 type games much more than 63-49 games. Games also used to be completed in 3 hours, but not anymore with the amount of points being scored.
On average, CFB teams scored just under 30ppg in 2015 (the latest year I could find information) so CFB hasn't quite gotten to the 63-49 score (unless it's Big 12 ;)).

I love the high scoring in CFB. I love high scoring in MBB. I love a fast paced game that borders on chaos

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT