ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Article in The Virginian-Pilot about Liberty U. and C-USA

Turned down a $24 million offer while your revenue stream is drying up in front of your eyes...makes sense.

I kind of get it though, I guess..

Liberty is going to be a controversial add for any conference, but as the writer pointed out, if there goal is to be the equivalent of what BYU is to Mormons and what Notre Dame is to Catholics - well....maybe the independent route is the way to go..

The are only 2 1/2 hours from me and I had no idea they had facilities like that. Also had no idea they tried to join C-USA.

Learn something new every day.

I am super envious of that indoor facility. Wow.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Liberty is making bank from their online programs. They have ~80,000 - 90,000 students online. They've used online education to advance their institution - academically and athletically

Nothing like Troy. They are building something in Lynchburg. They are investing millions in athletes and academics.

Many diss them but I bet they end up being successful.
I meant in terms of their online enrollment. Troy claims a huge enrollment but it's mainly from satellite campuses and online programs. People nowhere near the campus and their facilities.

I meant in terms of their online enrollment. Troy claims a huge enrollment but it's mainly from satellite campuses and online programs. People nowhere near the campus and their facilities.

I get it...I am actually jealous of them and their ability to exploit that market. I know two guys that took online classes for two years and then attended Liberty. They have very loyal grads. The campus is beautiful .

Sounds like Troy.
Troy and Liberty, like it or not, have effectively reached the unreached through online programs. In Liberty's case, they were able to use the revenue to start a law school, medical school, and build top of the line facilities for a G5 school.

At some point, the folks in Cope are going to realize they missed out on an opportunity to generate a new revenue stream with online programs.

As a side note, online education is here to stay. Reputable, established universities (Harvard, Arizona State) have online programs.

This story has troubled me since the day I read it. I have deliberately not rushed into any reactionary comments. In an effort to not go way off topic, I'm trying to keep some comments brief and to the point. While my views here may seem sort of out there to some, it's a matter of import requiring input that have further implications.

If C-USA or C-USA presidents have in fact done this, I see this as discrimination against a Christian institution and Christians. The info revealed in this story has serious implications in my opinion. I have begun to seriously deliberate my support and/or affiliation with C-USA over this matter.

We live in a era of political correctness...no way BYU or Notre Dame would have made it to big boy FB if they were not long standing universities. Go to the CSNBBS CUSA board and see the vitriol of posters towards Liberty, one is a moderator and MT grad. We can argue whether CUSA needs one more team but the argument about their religious beliefs is plain ole discrimination...but its the sign of the times.

As for me, I am rooting for Liberty. I hope they thrive athletically.

This story has troubled me since the day I read it. I have deliberately not rushed into any reactionary comments. In an effort to not go way off topic, I'm trying to keep some comments brief and to the point. While my views here may seem sort of out there to some, it's a matter of import requiring input that have further implications.

If C-USA or C-USA presidents have in fact done this, I see this as discrimination against a Christian institution and Christians. The info revealed in this story has serious implications in my opinion. I have begun to seriously deliberate my support and/or affiliation with C-USA over this matter.

This is absurdly ridiculous. C-USA? The same league where Depaul, a Catholic University, was a charter member? The same league where schools like Southern 'Methodist' and Texas 'Christian' were invited prior to our time? The same league that is HQ'd in Texas that is predominately based in the Bible Belt?

Some people need to go into Internet timeout. Yes, Liberty offered $24 million to join, but there is a but. That $24M also came with a number of conditions whereby the league would have to cater specifically to their special needs that would have made life more difficult for the other 14 members of the league. It would have also put the league with an unbalanced alignment meaning we would have needed to add a 16th school That's two more mouths to feed in a conference that isn't make enough money as it is.

That $24 million would have become a negative balance on per team revenue distributions in only a matter of a few years at which point it would be the gift that kept on giving. Sorry, my man but this is a complete and utter over reaction, and a good example of two dynamics that are playing out in the country. 1) It's always somebody else's fault and 2) Why Americans are losing "faith" in the Christian religion.

What does Liberty have to offer besides $24 million? They usually have 8 or 9 win seasons, in one of the weakest conferences of FCS. After that money is spent, they would just be dead weight in the conference and that spot is already taken. I doubt that a PC reason had to be used to turn them down.

Not just Notre Dame & BYU; how about Baylor, SMU, & TCU (difficult to figure out with the initials). My source Ishmael told me some baptists not only tithe 10% but do everything half again as hard as everyone else. This probably represents the large donation to enter the C-USA.

Reactions: T2Tool
We live in a era of political correctness...no way BYU or Notre Dame would have made it to big boy FB if they were not long standing universities. Go to the CSNBBS CUSA board and see the vitriol of posters towards Liberty, one is a moderator and MT grad. We can argue whether CUSA needs one more team but the argument about their religious beliefs is plain ole discrimination...but its the sign of the times.

As for me, I am rooting for Liberty. I hope they thrive athletically.

Not sure if you were referring to BYU and Notre Dame as more recent history or more like a 100 years ago. Whatever the case, I think you might be agreeing that now just about any conference would just about kill to get Notre Dame to join their conference as full football members.

I had signed up for CSNBBS a year or two ago, but I've only been back there once or twice. I just went to see what you were talking about. Whoof. I saw enough in that thread to get the point. Seeing it was like 20 pages long, I decided to just sample some of the discussion. Funny thing is, since I saw this thread on it's first day or so, I haven't even looked at or heard anything else about this matter. It's just been a matter of my thoughts and opinion, but apparently I wasn't the only one with thoughts and opinions on the matter. Some thoughts you seem to share as well. It is a sign of the times.

I have no problem if C-USA weighed the matter of teams, facilities, location, attendance, etc, and decided Liberty wasn't a good fit. If that's the case, so be it. From what it seems, other factors may have been considered. If it was on the basis of dislike and resentment of an active Christian University that Liberty may have been rejected, then I do have a problem with that. From many of the resentful and hostile comments openly and widely expressed towards Christians on this matter, it doesn't seem outside the bounds of consideration that discrimination could possibly be directed towards a Christian University in such a matter.

Not just Notre Dame & BYU; how about Baylor, SMU, & TCU (difficult to figure out with the initials). My source Ishmael told me some baptists not only tithe 10% but do everything half again as hard as everyone else. This probably represents the large donation to enter the C-USA.

10 frames? That's for quakers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT