ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL April 15th Blue-White Spring Game

Now they tell us. Why did it take so long to get that out? I might be able to go but had I'd known earlier, I could have brought folks with me.

I know at this point not many will care, but the third game of the UAB series next door in Reese Smith field starts at the same time as the spring game. At this point, I'm not sure which one I'm more ambivalent about...

Would be cool to get this streamed online so people not in the area can watch. Isn't MT supposed to have a good broadcasting department? Seems like a prime opportunity for students to gain some experience.
Great point. I think FAU and a couple of others in the conference is streaming on espn3.

I know at this point not many will care, but the third game of the UAB series next door in Reese Smith field starts at the same time as the spring game. At this point, I'm not sure which one I'm more ambivalent about...
We have a better chance to win at the spring game.
The really smart folks would have set the baseball game time for 3pm, allowing fans to see both.

baseball game has been moved to 2pm

goblueraiders.com:
BLUE-WHITE SPRING FINALE IS SATURDAY

Schedule of Events
1:00 PM: Spring Award Presentation
1:10 PM: Flex
1:20 PM: Field Goal
1:30 PM: Offense and Defense Individual
1:50 PM: Skill Perimeter & Half Line
1:55 PM: Wide Receiver and Defensive Back One-on-One
Inside Drill (Offensive Line, Defensive Line, Running Backs)
2:05 PM: Pass Skel
Offensive Line vs Defensive Line Pass Rush
2:15 PM: Thud Scrimmage

The Blue Raiders will have extensive coverage of the Finale on social media. Along with video, photos and comments on Twitter (@MTAthletics, @MT_FB) and Instagram (@mt_fb and @mtathletics), there will also be coverage on Snapchat. The awards presentation will be shown live on @mtathletics Periscope, and then the radio team of Chip Walters and Wes Counts will add commentary on Facebook Live. The duo will have an early segment about 1:15 PM telling fans what is going on and what to expect then will come back near the conclusion (2:30 PM range) with interviews....

Last edited:
From some of the coverage I saw, the D is going to be much better. I say that because the mentality is night and day. They seem faster and there's more hustle. I also loved the coverage drills where the DB's and Safeties made contact and went after the ball. They didn't play them back like Nix did. They were more aggressive in their drills.

Shafer's style is a lot like Manny's and even Wes said that very thing during the drills. We are probably missing some key pieces to be truly great but will we improve by a good margin? Yes. I really think so. I know it's early but we have the right DC now. I like the philosophy and the fact that he calls from the booth. I feel like he prepares well and knows how to lead and implement the game plan. The D is already looking sharper. I'm optimistic and there's some good reasons to be.

Reactions: MTsumner92
From some of the coverage I saw, the D is going to be much better. I say that because the mentality is night and day. They seem faster and there's more hustle. I also loved the coverage drills where the DB's and Safeties made contact and went after the ball. They didn't play them back like Nix did. They were more aggressive in their drills.

Shafer's style is a lot like Manny's and even Wes said that very thing during the drills. We are probably missing some key pieces to be truly great but will we improve by a good margin? Yes. I really think so. I know it's early but we have the right DC now. I like the philosophy and the fact that he calls from the booth. I feel like he prepares well and knows how to lead and implement the game plan. The D is already looking sharper. I'm optimistic and there's some good reasons to be.
I hope your right. I will believe it when I see it.

Man Shane tucker looking good. I'm expecting big things from him this season. Hope our defense is getting better. I hear Collins can play. If we can learn to stop the run we have a punchers chance at the title

Reactions: SpaceRaider
When Tucker is healthy he is one of the best backs we've had...he is a TD machine. We need him!

500 show up and most were friends/family of the players. Pathetic.

I came and stayed for awhile then went to the baseball game. It might be the Easter weekend, but I seriously doubt it. If there had a been a scrimmage, that might have been more compelling. A fan came up after awhile and asked if there was going to be an actual game, I said no, just a football practice. He was not happy about it, and said he wouldn't bother with it next year, or something like that.

The poor turnout might be blowback from the poor handling of the animal abuse incident. MT, rightly or wrongly, took their sweet time to come to the right conclusion, with nothing more becoming known from the original event than the overwhelming revulsion from everyone. Not the right time to drag your feet, when you start off with a tone deaf initial response adding to the negative PR, nothing learned from what had just happened with United Airlines.

Last edited:
500 show up and most were friends/family of the players. Pathetic.

Why go to the game. It's obvious from Stock it's not that big a deal. I love how we use to do it, trying to match it up with the wing fling, play a real game. Today, I had no interest. I will be there in the fall

It's just sad these guys work their tails off and the fans can't spare a couple of hours to show appreciation. I understand family and other committments. The PR disaster probably had some effect but I think it's apathy. The whipping we took in Hawaii did not help with any momentum.
I'll be there every game.

It's just sad these guys work their tails off and the fans can't spare a couple of hours to show appreciation. I understand family and other committments. The PR disaster probably had some effect but I think it's apathy. The whipping we took in Hawaii did not help with any momentum.
I'll be there every game.

Look, the powers that be don't really care about this event...I don't think the turnout has anything to do with the two dismissed players.

I went last year and once I saw what they were doing, I was like "why am I here?" This year, no game and not even any tackling. They at least tackled last year. There was no reason to go for me.

The staff and the administration doesn't care about the fans so why would a fan bother? Another reason no one came is that they waited forever before they released a date and that was like less than a week before it went down. Again, no promotion. No hype. Stock doesn't want hype so he doesn't back it. Therefore, you end up with a big bowl of "who gives a crap?".

If they're doing this for the fans, then have a game. Have hype, put on a show and promote the heck out of it. If you're just going through the motions then don't do anything. The kids deserving a turnout is a moot point. They are actors on a stage. It's up to the producers and show runners to promote it, not the kids.

This event was poorly promoted and the HC did not believe in it and together, they are the reasons for a bad turnout.

Meh... Stock said that he wanted all of the players involved and trying to improve rather than most of them standing on the side watching a scrimmage. I'm fine with that.

Winning games in the fall is what matters - not a spring scrimmage for the hardcore fans

Last edited:
Meh... Stock said that he wanted all of the players involved and trying to improve than most of them standing on the side watching a scrimmage. I'm fine with that.

Winning games in the fall is what matters - not a spring scrimmage for the hardcore fans
True, but if you aren't able to improve in the 14 other practice sessions, are maximizing your practice time? At some point, do you not need a test to see where or how you stack up?

The program reflects the head coach. Mediocre with no enthusiasm or fire. Just dull as hell. Who wants to see that? What we need is what Western Michigan had the last couple of years. Now that Fleck is gone they'll revert to being just like we are.

This just shows how horrible we have recruited on the DL and big depth concerns on the OL. They can't afford to lose one player in the scrimmage. That is my guess but if so then why not come out and say it? Again I struggle with MT's lack of engaging the fans and expecting higher ticket sales. This is what insanity looks like.

I wish they would make this worth going to, haven't been in a few years. Last one I went to was boring, I saw about 10 minutes of it. got a few $1 shirts and left. The first few they did were good to go to, then they started going downhill and now its just totally MEH.

This just shows how horrible we have recruited on the DL and big depth concerns on the OL. They can't afford to lose one player in the scrimmage. That is my guess but if so then why not come out and say it? Again I struggle with MT's lack of engaging the fans and expecting higher ticket sales. This is what insanity looks like.

Yup. We are in big trouble on the OL and DL this year. The DL problems can be hidden somewhat by a good coordinator but there's not much one can do to disguise a bad OL. If anyone can do it, Franklin is the man, but teams are going to quickly discover that we are weak on the OL and press the daylights out of us. I hope Franklin has the screens and misdirections ready to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT