ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Another Commit

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
Dominic Taylor ATH 6’1/195 Murfreesboro, TN
Other offers: Arkansas St, APSU, Auburn, Buffalo, Chattanooga, Charlotte, EKU, Indiana, Liberty, Marshall, Memphis, Tulane, Vanderbilt, WKU, WMU, Wofford

Last edited:
When is the last time we had a legit D1 prospect from Riverdale? To say Mason and staff are doing all the right things is an understatement. And though I enjoy seeing us win some against P5 programs, it seems they are consistently winning some head-to-head recruiting battles with Liberty and wkcc. A trifecta (local with P5 and rival offers) in this case. Bravo Zulu!

Everytime I see us get another commitment from a local kid, it makes my blood boil how bad Stock and company botched the local recruiting efforts.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Not just local kids with local/rival offers. We've signed kids with offers/looks from Marshall, Charlotte, Ark St, Army, FAU, App St, and Coastal. We haven't had that in YEARS.

It used to be signing a guy with only FCS offers was the norm. Now it's the opposite and rare.

Again, who knows if this will translate on the field, but man. CDM doing a hell of a job everywhere else so far. As quick as regional high school fences have been mended, it had to be a flat out choice to not recruit local with the previous staff. It wasn't laziness but a definitive choice not to do it. Makes zero sense.

The kid runs track as well, he is a 10.6 hundred kid. He will only get faster as he continues to grow. He wanted to stay home and be close to his mother. He is a big back at over 6'1". I know Ole Miss started talking to him recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I also look at it as those are new fans that will come to the games. We’ve got 9 commits from TN for 2025 so far. 7 of those 9 are between Murfreesboro, Shelbyville and Brentwood. Let’s say each of those 7 bring 5 people to each game, that’s 35 additional people in the stands that we wouldn’t have had before. I think 5 is very conservative too. I could easily see 10+ for each of them. There are so many benefits, besides just the play on the field, to recruiting local.

Looking forward to this season, but man I can't wait to see what 2025 looks like. We're not only beating the Appy St, Liberty, Marshall, & Coastal's of the world, but a number of P4's as well.
I think it's an amalgamation of things getting these young guys on board.
Coaching staff & on campus construction has to be lighting up the eyes of these young guys.
But my big question. Is our NIL package better than what I thought? No way would I thought we could compete with Liberty's NIL, but we've definitely had more than 1 player who said yes to MT over Liberty.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
I also look at it as those are new fans that will come to the games. We’ve got 9 commits from TN for 2025 so far. 7 of those 9 are between Murfreesboro, Shelbyville and Brentwood. Let’s say each of those 7 bring 5 people to each game, that’s 35 additional people in the stands that we wouldn’t have had before. I think 5 is very conservative too. I could easily see 10+ for each of them. There are so many benefits, besides just the play on the field, to recruiting local.
Bingo. Little siblings come and become fans. Friends come and become fans. Before you know it going to Floyd is a fun thing to do, even moreso with weeknight games.

It easily can draw several thousand just from having local recruits that locals want to see play. WV doesn't have a whole lot of D1 recruits. When they do go to WVU, and Brown has made a point of getting WV kids to stay home, it adds an extra level of excitement seeing the native boy score a TD.
MT can have the same with players from the surrounding areas.

Looking forward to this season, but man I can't wait to see what 2025 looks like. We're not only beating the Appy St, Liberty, Marshall, & Coastal's of the world, but a number of P4's as well.
I think it's an amalgamation of things getting these young guys on board.
Coaching staff & on campus construction has to be lighting up the eyes of these young guys.
But my big question. Is our NIL package better than what I thought? No way would I thought we could compete with Liberty's NIL, but we've definitely had more than 1 player who said yes to MT over Liberty.
McGuire donates a huge amount. He owns the area McDs and helped start RaidersRising.
I know The Boulevard does as well.

Reactions: ewglenn
Big-time local pickup for this class. Granted a lot of the visitors were already committed, I think that cookout event that doubled as a recruiting event is going to pay dividends. Worth noting that Taylor was at a junior day in the spring and then back for the cookout so these recruiting events where they are able to get a handful of guys on campus have been successful so far. Staff seems to win when they can get them to campus and they recruit their targets as hard as anyone. Refreshing to see for fans

He's listed as athlete. I imagine he played multiple positions. Any ideas on what position he will play at MT?

He's listed as athlete. I imagine he played multiple positions. Any ideas on what position he will play at MT?
He will play running back here

He plays running back and safety for Riverdale. I know Vandy and Auburn had offered him as a DB for what it's worth. Not sure how much Auburn really pushed there but he had visited Vandy multiple times

Reactions: ewglenn and MTFAN61
He will play running back here

He plays running back and safety for Riverdale. I know Vandy and Auburn had offered him as a DB for what it's worth. Not sure how much Auburn really pushed there but he had visited Vandy multiple times
Also Ole Miss has been talking with him. No offer yet.

McGuire donates a huge amount. He owns the area McDs and helped start RaidersRising.
I know The Boulevard does as well.
Speaking of McGuire as the local McDonald's owner. Just saw the local McDonald's sponsored billboard on I-24 "WELCOME TO BLUE RAIDER COUNTY" featuring Jalynn Gregory. He is definitely invested.

Speaking of McGuire as the local McDonald's owner. Just saw the local McDonald's sponsored billboard on I-24 "WELCOME TO BLUE RAIDER COUNTY" featuring Jalynn Gregory. He is definitely invested.
Actually saw my first Derek Mason yard sign at McDonald's on North Rutherford tonight driving up to Oakland High School haha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT