ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Alright boys….Call your shot!

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Figured I’d get the pulse of the board prior to staff predictions. What do you think MT’s overall record and conference record will be?

7-5, 5-3 in league play

I really want to give Dearmon benefit of the doubt based on what he was able to accomplish at Bethel but, that crapfest in Lawrence Kansas has his fingerprints on it regardless of what Les Miles did or did not do. Throw in Polly and Mallory on offense and draw your own conclusions.
I think Shafer is a good DC but if West’s guys can’t muster up some semblance of a pass rush and leave the run support up to the safeties again, it’s gonna be hard to break .500.

4-8, 3-5

I really want to give Dearmon benefit of the doubt based on what he was able to accomplish at Bethel but, that crapfest in Lawrence Kansas has his fingerprints on it regardless of what Les Miles did or did not do. Throw in Polly and Mallory on offense and draw your own conclusions.
I think Shafer is a good DC but if West’s guys can’t muster up some semblance of a pass rush and leave the run support up to the safeties again, it’s gonna be hard to break .500.

4-8, 3-5
Do you have MT losing to UCONN or Monmouth? For them to be 3-5 in conference and 4-8 overall they would need losses to VT, Liberty and one of Monmouth or UCONN...

Monmouth-W
Virginia Tech-L
UTSA-L
Charlotte-W
Marshall-L
Liberty-L
Uconn-W
Southern Miss-W
WKU-L
FIU-W
ODU-W
FAU-W

7-5
Bahamas Bowl against Toledo. W

Do you have MT losing to UCONN or Monmouth? For them to be 3-5 in conference and 4-8 overall they would need losses to VT, Liberty and one of Monmouth or UCONN...
I’m calling a Monmouth upset now and let the ensuing thread bumps fall where they may after Labor Day Weekend. 😂😂

UCONN is a mess right now. Even worse than us.

My Prediction:

5-7, 4-4

This is how I see it playing out.

Home opening loss to Monmouth and then three straight losses on the road. MT always seems to win at least one game a year they shouldn't so I'm predicting a winless MT upsets Marshall. Another loss on the road to Liberty, before hitting the easier part of the schedule and winning on the road at UConn. USM comes to the boro for homecoming and MT gets another win in a close one. MT goes to Bowling Green and does not compete in a blowout loss to WKU, to continue the futility against local rivals by Stockstill. MT comes home to play two straight in front of dozens of fans, and beats fiu and odu, two of the worst teams in the conference, but it's too little too late to regain any enthusiasm from fans. For the final game @FAU with bowl eligibility on the line, the Raiders lose a surprisingly close game (thanks only to lots of turnovers and bad coaching by the FAU staff) to finish with a third straight losing season.

Monmouth - L
@ Virginia Tech - L
@ UTSA - L
@ Charlotte - L
Marshall - W
@ Liberty-L
@ UConn-W
Southern Miss - W
@ WKU - L
FIU - W
ODU - W
@ FAU - L

Last edited:
My Prediction:

5-7, 4-4

This is how I see it playing out.

Home opening loss to Monmouth and then three straight losses on the road. MT always seems to win at least one game a year they shouldn't so I'm predicting a winless MT upsets Marshall. Another loss on the road to Liberty, before hitting the easier part of the schedule and winning on the road at UConn. USM comes to the boro for homecoming and MT gets another win in a close one. MT goes to Bowling Green and does not compete in a blowout loss to WKU, to continue the futility against local rivals by Stockstill. MT comes home to play two straight in front of dozens of fans, and beats fiu and odu, two of the worst teams in the conference, but it's too little too late to regain any enthusiasm from fans. For the final game @FAU with bowl eligibility on the line, the Raiders lose a surprisingly close game (thanks only to lots of turnovers and bad coaching by the FAU staff) to finish with a third straight losing season.

Monmouth - L
@ Virginia Tech - L
@ UTSA - L
@ Charlotte - L
Marshall - W
@ Liberty-L
@ UConn-W
Southern Miss - W
@ WKU - L
FIU - W
ODU - W
@ FAU - L

This is unfortunately the most probable scenario.

I want to believe that we can compete with the better teams in the East (UTSA, Marshall, WKU, FAU), but I'm very skeptical about it. Drawing Southern Miss out of the West is tougher than meets the eye, they're my dark horse along with La. Tech in that division. At least we get them at home, but that game is gonna be a war.

Rick Stockstill teams have never looked good Week 1, especially at home. We are playing a Top 10 and one of the best FCS teams in the country to open our season in Monmouth. I wouldn't be surprised if Monmouth won the FCS title this year. However; we should never lose to an FCS team. Unfortunately, it sure appears that's how it will go down. We are breaking in a new OC, Week 1 we are never good, Monmouth Top 10 FCS squad and we are their only FBS game of the year. They will play this like it's their superbowl. All the cards are lined up for them to come in here and a steal a big underdog win. And I bet it happens. It certainly better not though. There is never an excuse to lose to an FCS program. Especially coming off 2 losing seasons and all the talent we return on this roster. We better find a way to win that game. I cannot even begin to tell you or describe how hot I will be if we lose to Monmouth.

For me...

Monmouth - W (We better not lose this game)
@ Virginia Tech - L
@ UTSA - L (close, we miss or they make a last second FG to swing it their way)
@ Charlotte - W
Marshall - W
@ Liberty- L
@ UConn- W
Southern Miss - L
@ WKU - W
FIU - W
ODU - W
@ FAU - L (I want to believe we can win here and secure the East, but probably a loss)

I want to believe we will be playing FAU in the final week with big implications for the East. But it feels foolish to believe or expect that coming off 2 losing seasons.

7-5 overall, 5-3 in conference

Monmouth - W
@ Virginia Tech - L
@ UTSA - L
@ Charlotte - L
Marshall - W
@ Liberty-L
@ UConn-W
Southern Miss - W
@ WKU - L
FIU - W
ODU - W
@ FAU - L

6-6 Overall.
4-4 CUSA
5-0 in Murfreesboro
Lower level Bowl Game to start the Holiday Season in December.

Regardless, football season is here, and I am looking forward to watching MTSU this Fall.

Ask me after the Monmouth game. If we lose or it's super close W that goes down the the final quarter, its going to be a long year.

4-8 overall
3-5 CUSA
I think 7-5 is our ceiling and 2-10 is the floor.

I won't be surprised at all if we lose to Monmouth. Monmouth is much better than the McNeese St team was, that beat us. Our program has sunk a lot since then. I'm almost of the opinion that a loss should even be expected in that game.

Monmouth L
@Va Tech L
@UTSA L
@Charlotte L
Marshall L
@ Liberty L
@UConn W
Southern Miss W
@Goatlovers L
FIU W
Old Dominion W
@FAU L

Ask me after the Monmouth game. If we lose or it's super close W that goes down the the final quarter, its going to be a long year.

I'd take a 1 point win in triple OT and walk away happy at this point.

1. We are never good week 1, so any win is good
2. Monmouth is a Top 10 FCS squad, possible National Champion contender. We will be lucky to win this game.

If we beat Monmouth, we will be a good team. Monmouth is as good as Illinois and some of the other teams CUSA is facing that week. I've watched them play and I don't know much but I know good football when I see it and this team is well coached and talented.

Looking like a pretty good consensus in here that Stock & Co. won’t get it done on opening day.

So……if the Blue Raiders lose to a “really good FCS” Monmouth team, then the average walk-up fan in Murfreesboro (or even the student body) will still be motivated to make the effort and show up for the rest of the season????

I think not.

You're spot on FranklinRaider, Monmouth is the season. Gonna be hard to get past it if we lose.

If we beat Monmouth, we will be a good team. Monmouth is as good as Illinois and some of the other teams CUSA is facing that week. I've watched them play and I don't know much but I know good football when I see it and this team is well coached and talented.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all regarding how talented Monmouth is. But your assessment, which I agree with, of how that game will be a litmus test for the rest of the season is a prime example of how little progress we have made in 20+ seasons at the FBS level. It's embarrassing really.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all regarding how talented Monmouth is. But your assessment, which I agree with, of how that game will be a litmus test for the rest of the season is a prime example of how little progress we have made in 20+ seasons at the FBS level. It's embarrassing really.
This.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I think beating an FCS national championship contender would be a litmus test for the majority of G5 teams. FCS national champion contenders would be conference championship contenders in CUSA and other G5 conferences most years. Saying that it would be nice to be one of the G5 teams that it isn't the case for.

I think beating an FCS national championship contender would be a litmus test for the majority of G5 teams. FCS national champion contenders would be conference championship contenders in CUSA and other G5 conferences most years. Saying that it would be nice to be one of the G5 teams that it isn't the case for.
THIS

To go from having Alabama on the ropes, beat Vandy 3x, Maryland 2x, whip Ga Tech, beat Memphis to where they don't renew our series...to Monmouth being a pivotal game. I realize this is a game the pundits have circled for a potential upset, and it is #1 on some people's lists for most likely FCS win over an FBS team. But, MT being Monmouth's first win over an FBS school would be the most Middle (and Stock) thing ever.

Guess I just had too high of expectations in 99-00, expected too much from my school.

We all had "too high of expectations" when the announcement of the move of FB to D-1 was announced. We had fools gold during the first decade of competition only to arrive we are now after 20 years.

So much financial expenditure, so much time, and so much emotional energy expended only to wind up where we would have been had Donnelly, Fowler, and Walker never had the vision to move up.

Of course, losing to a FCS team is not unexpected when the Head Coach has intimated that he views non-conference games the same as NFL exhibitions - "We still have all our goals ahead of us"

To go from having Alabama on the ropes, beat Vandy 3x, Maryland 2x, whip Ga Tech, beat Memphis to where they don't renew our series...to Monmouth being a pivotal game. I realize this is a game the pundits have circled for a potential upset, and it is #1 on some people's lists for most likely FCS win over an FBS team. But, MT being Monmouth's first win over an FBS school would be the most Middle (and Stock) thing ever.

Guess I just had too high of expectations in 99-00, expected too much from my school.
We played Alabama close in 2002 and it happens that teams like ours play "up" and teams like Alabama play "down". Especially the first game of the year. I would argue Vanderbilt would also be on upset alert by this Monmouth team. People are too focused on FBS vs FCS and not focused on the fact that this is a really good football team coming in here. The expectation should be to win, but it is still a very good test and a higher quality opponent than a good amount of FBS teams. I think it is unreasonable to not realize that top tier FCS teams can play up to a good portion, if not a majority, of FBS teams. WKU went 9-4 in 2019 and opened their season with a loss against Central Arkansas who finished ranked 12th in FCS. There is a much larger gap between a majority of G5 teams and FBS national championship contenders than there is us and FCS national championship contenders.

I don't think it is wrong to have high expectations, but probably half (possibly more) of the teams in FBS could lose to this team. UAB is on upset alert vs Jacksonville St. and they are picked to win CUSA.

Good point crposton. UAB has top 25 votes and is on upset alert vs Jacksonville St. That keeps this game in perspective.

I’m calling “I shan’t be watching any football once again this year”.
jaketaylorpoint.jpg

….. There is a much larger gap between a majority of G5 teams and FBS national championship contenders than there is us and FCS national championship contenders.

I don't think it is wrong to have high expectations, but probably half (possibly more) of the teams in FBS could lose to this team. UAB is on upset alert vs Jacksonville St. and they are picked to win CUSA.

This gets back to my previous posts.

In theory a FBS team should rarely lose to a FCS team. FBS should have a deeper roster, better facilitated better players. It should be a true upset every time a FCS team wins.

Reality is, most G5 schools are closer to FCS top 20 teams than FBS top 20 teams. So what makes more sense? Stay in FBS as the gap gets larger and hope we catch lightening in a bottle (which very few G5 schools do) or play on a level against teams that we more closely resemble?Come December, the 4A state TSSAA champions will be just as much a champion as the 6A champions.

I hope we beat Monmouth. Tough game and even if we will improve with the new offense, it sometimes takes a few games to get everyone on the same page.

have you seen the facilities at the FCS schools? The facilities in MVC, CAA and Big Sky conferences are top notch better than MT's for sure.

I would like to have the same optimism I had 10+ years ago. That’s all.
I know it’s easy to look back at the “good ole days” but those days seem to be gone.

I don’t care if it is Rick Stockstill or Andy Mac. If you can’t get it done, time to move on. It’s more than xs and os.

my days of prepping by reading pre season mags and scouting opponents are gone. But I would like to see forward momentum with the occasional bumps.
I don’t see is winning more than 5 this season from what little I have read. I’m not planning to attend any but will watch from a distance.

i used to travel miles to watch this team play.

I'm going out on a limb and predict we go 5/7. Wins are UConn, Monmouth, southern miss, fiu and odu.
I wouldn't be surprised if we beat VT and lose to UConn.

• Wow
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
6-6, 4-4 and they get bludgeoned by a MAC team in the Swift Logistics Grape Bowl sponsored by Midwest Bitcoin and Trust.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
I would like to have the same optimism I had 10+ years ago. That’s all.
I know it’s easy to look back at the “good ole days” but those days seem to be gone.

I don’t care if it is Rick Stockstill or Andy Mac. If you can’t get it done, time to move on. It’s more than xs and os.

my days of prepping by reading pre season mags and scouting opponents are gone. But I would like to see forward momentum with the occasional bumps.
I don’t see is winning more than 5 this season from what little I have read. I’m not planning to attend any but will watch from a distance.

i used to travel miles to watch this team play.

My road trips….
Lexington, KY
Chapel Hill, NC
NOLA
Hattiesburg, MS
Starkville, MS
Ft. Worth
Memphis (3 times)
Bowling Green KY

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT