ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL A-10 and MW in talks to start basketball challenge

TrueBlue147

All Conference
Mar 19, 2008

CUSA should get one going with the Missouri Valley Conference. I think that would be a good match up and improve our conference RPI.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Our RPI was much lower when Wichita State was in MVC. Is it still? If it is the teams in CUSA have some work to do.

With the new season and changes in assessing and applying rankings, who knows where C-USA will land this year.

Since MT came into C-USA, the overall quality, particularly RPI, of C-USA has been pretty poor. There are plenty of good programs in the conference. With some of the bottom of the standings teams, it's not just a poor record. From what I could gather, it was poor scheduling and poor investment in scheduling which would lower the RPI even further. The new scheduling system in the conference this year attempts to address the problem if only in a minor way.

Something like this would be fun to watch, as a fan. However, I don't think the RPI matters. We could have an RPI of 15 and we'll still have to win the conference tourney to get in the big dance.

The RPI was done away with for this coming season. In its place is the "NET", which appears to be somewhat of a hybrid using some general principles of the traditional RPI combined with nuances of more advanced ratings services as Ken Pomeroy and KPI. It will be interesting to see how these changes affect the landscape of rankings and scheduling. Last year in the final Pomeroy conference ratings, C-USA was 11th and the Missouri Valley was 9th. The 11th ranked position of C-USA was by far the best finish for the league since MT's arrival in 2013-14. The conference has finished 16th, 17th, 20th, 21st, and 11th in the Pomeroy ratings in the 5 years we've been a part of the league.

Something like this would be fun to watch, as a fan. However, I don't think the RPI matters. We could have an RPI of 15 and we'll still have to win the conference tourney to get in the big dance.

I was thinking in terms of 1 conference being willing to have a challenge with another. I would guess as long as the conference RPI or NET or whatever ranking was similar, the MVC might do it.

I do agree, a challenge with any conference would be fun.

I would love CUSA have the first ever football challenge with the MAC. Two years, each team guaranteed a home / away. I know that would be difficult to work out, but I would enjoy it.

Reactions: MT Glenn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT