ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL 35 years ago

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Middle Tennessee basketball hosted and defeated the Soviet Union National basketball team, which earlier that year beat the USA national team in the Olympics and won the Gold medal.

Reactions: C-Bow and subkyle
If that was the team that had Randy Henry on it I was there. Great game, Soviet coach wasn't too happy with us that night

If that was the team that had Randy Henry on it I was there. Great game, Soviet coach wasn't too happy with us that night
Also had Kerry Hammonds on it as well as Mike Buck. I remember Buck got an offensive rebound and went up and over Sabonis, the big Soviet center, and got fouled.

Reactions: MTFAN61
I just remember that I wouldn't mess with Mike Buck. He would have dominated the UFC. Another game I attended....

1990 BasketBrawl - MT vs Tech

Reactions: elamlee
I just remember that I wouldn't mess with Mike Buck. He would have dominated the UFC. Another game I attended....

1990 BasketBrawl - MT vs Tech
I remember the morning newspaper back in March of 1989 after MT came back and defeated FSU in the first round of the NCAA at vandy, "MTSU's trophy: 26 point Buck"

Never forget that 2nd half. I had given up hope by halftime. Then Buck went crazy. I think it's still our largest margin of victory for the men in the NCAA Tournament 97-83. Great great memory.
Good to see the clip of a young & healthy Bruce Stewart. Sad about the fortunes that proceeded him. Wish he could have had the career in basketball & life he deserved.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
That bunch were giant slayers! Saw them takedown Michigan in a year they went to the final 4 and beat down Tenn and Ga in the same week!
Was that Michigan win from a Memphis holiday tournament? Think I remember us beating them, & then losing in the final seconds to a really good Memphis team the next night. Dickie V had the call, & talked more about MT beating Michigan than the game against Memphis.

Was that Michigan win from a Memphis holiday tournament? Think I remember us beating them, & then losing in the final seconds to a really good Memphis team the next night. Dickie V had the call, & talked more about MT beating Michigan than the game against Memphis.
Actual the game was a part of the UAB tournament in Bham. We play UAB the next night and got homered by a really good Gene Bartow team.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
man. Bruce got the punishment of a lifetime when other schools were doing the same or worse.

A p5 school probably did something wrong so they had to punish middle.

He was building something special at middle.
Bruce pissed off Dan Beebe and Beebe was out to get him. Bruce got the first laugh when he forfeited a game at TSU after the big Tech fight. Beebe, then the OVC Commish, gave numerous suspensions but said that they could be spread out over the next few games. Bruce said "we'll start taking our punishment now" and forfeited the next game at TSU because he couldn't field a team. TSU went ballistic because we were a big draw for them back then. Beebe never expected that move. After that, Beebe, who I believe previously worked for the NCAA, was out to get him and eventually did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT